HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
dwydendorf

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Tow Truck 1/2 Ton?

There is a good reason why you see so many crew cab duallys at the races. It is not just about the towing capacity of the truck but also because of the tire side walls. With two E rated tires on the back of a dually the side walls don't flex as much and keep both the truck and trailer from swaying down the road especially in a strong crosswind and when big trucks pass. Also a small pickup has even smaller and lighter tires making the problem worse. Its not just about the truck being able to pull the load but also about being safe and comfortable driving down the road. I have had two duallys and would not tow a 10,000 lb+ trailer with anything smaller.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
FSA1673

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

I tow a 24' Pace Rallye GS enclosed trailer with a 2012 F150 Ecoboost. Truck does the job very well with no issues. I have the 4 door crew cab truck with the 6.5' box. I ordered mine with the extra heavy duty 8200 pound package as well as the max trailer tow package. The 8200 pound package truck comes with seven lug wheels, LT truck tires, 9.75 rear end and a bunch of other stuff that makes it a failry stiff ride. I have towed roughly 1300 miles this year with it and am very happy. No issues with cross winds or panic stops. I have a 3500 pound stocker, spare trans, tools, barbeque, etcs in the trailer. I have never weighed the trailer, but estimate it to be 9000 pounds or so when loaded.

I had three GM 1/2 ton trucks before this one and found them marginal for towing the enclosed trailer. Braking and strongs winds were an issue, I never really felt comfortable at the wheel unless it was not windy. The new Ford I have I set the cruise at 70 mph and leave it. My race car is a Pontiac so I am not a biased Ford fan. The truck just works, I was rather impressed. My tow to the tracks I race at vary from 2 to 4 hour trips one way, with some pretty steep grades.

Hope this helps. Gas mileage when not towing is nice as well with the boosted V6.

Scott
FSA1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
Doug Domm

Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts

What does that eco boost get for mileage in the real world not the rated mileage? Towing, city, highway. Doug
Doug Domm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
FSA1673

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

My truck is a Canadian model, not sure it makes any difference. Mileage is not what Ford claims. Mine has 3.73 rear gears and I get around 22 miles to the american gallon on the highway, 18 around town, and only 11 when towing. I suppose with a regular cab and 3.31 gears you would more on a flat stretch if you drove slow. I know with mine the more it revs the more gas it burns. On the highway I usually set the cruise control at 75 mph empty and 70 mph while towing.

The mileage is a little better than the 2009 5.3L GMC with the V8/V4 mode. I also had a 2006 GMC before the 2009. The Ford revs a lot less when towing than the GMC as well which is nice when on a long trip. The GMC would go up to around 4000 rpm on the hills while the Ford is around 2600. It works/feels like a diesel when your towing with it. It dowshifts a little on the hills then the turbos kick in and away it goes.

The best part is the engine breaking sytem it has. It is somehow linked with the trailer brake controller when in the tow/haul mode, it automatically downshifts to help slow you down.

Scott
FSA1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #15
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have an 05 F350 regular cab single rear wheel 4X4. Had to take some stuff in for recycling and had the truck weighed. Hehe 7580#. With the E rated tires there ain't much on the highway that moves it around, by it self or towing. Those big brakes stops anything just when you need to.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
Steves68Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tow my 24 foot enclosed with a 2001 F150 Super Crew with a 5.4 and added 4.11's. It pulls fine, the problem is stopping. I do not take a whole lot to the track because of this. There is more I would like to take, but scared too. One thing for sure you are going to need is a load load leveling hitch and/or air bags. All I needed was the hitch. Here is a picture of my truck and trailer ready to go to the races. Those mirror extensions come in handy also.

I am still pulling with it, but am looking for a larger pickup. It has done a fine job for 4 years. Just drive way ahead. I have only once ended up in the middle of an intersection.

Oh yea. I get 9 to 10 miles a gallon driving from the Fort Smith, AR area to Tulsa. Sometimes a little better. I keep it to 60 mph. If I drive 70 it drinks much more gas.

Last edited by Steves68Nova; 08-23-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added gas milage
Steves68Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
Steves68Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One more thing. My trailer and car plus equipment weighs about 10,500. (Generator, charger, compressor, tools, chairs, etc.)
Steves68Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #18
Philip Saran

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneFE View Post
I have an 05 F350 regular cab single rear wheel 4X4. Had to take some stuff in for recycling and had the truck weighed. Hehe 7580#. With the E rated tires there ain't much on the highway that moves it around, by it self or towing. Those big brakes stops anything just when you need to.
My 2004 F350 4dr/4x4/long bed diesel weights in a bit more, but loaded
with family still under 8,000 lbs. Gets 18 mpg on hwy empty, with car on
open trailer gets 14/15 mpg and with a 28 ft enclosed trailer mpg drops
down to 10-11 mpg.

But it tows straight, stops when it is supposed to and that is all I can ask for.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #19
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,665 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves68Nova View Post
One more thing. My trailer and car plus equipment weighs about 10,500. (Generator, charger, compressor, tools, chairs, etc.)
And as stated in your other post the brakes are an ever present danger...I've towed MANY thousands of miles over the years, often with a 15,000 pound trailer but thankfully with a dually cummings and it essentially made it a pleasant drive even over the Rockies. My 10,000 loaded Pace trailer is absolutely sweet behind the cummings. Seen some pretty scary stuff on Cabbage Hill going down into Pendleton, OR and Donner Pass into Reno, I won't bore anyone but I've seen the value of having "more" truck than you need umpteen times. Don't wait too long to make the switch, you may live to regret it.

(old farts are allowed to preach, right?)
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
John Lang

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks to all, any more added stories are welcome ! My current tow trk is a 3500 Dodge w/cummings, w/328,500 mi and it still runs great , it just is starting to rust, and rattle, and ride like crap as it's a 96 model, w/5speed, and mostly starting to look like crap ! I don't want anymore Diesels, it was great when I was in business, now I'm retired, and also an old FART ! I,m now between a 013 Dodge 1500 w/5.7 Hemi ,and a 013 Ford with /ecoBoost ! As I said earlier, I'm only going to race mabe 5 or 6 times, the rest of the time, (Winter) my daily driver !,,,,,,Thanks again......John