HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 01-21-2020, 12:27 PM   #11
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 289 Posts
Default Re: Amzoil engine oil

I have been using the Lucas Synthetic Racing oil. It seems to work well and bearings show very little wear.

However when it is cold it leaves goo in the pan that looks similar to assembly lube.

Does the Amzoil do this? I think I have read the Valvoline does not.

Thanks,
Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #12
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 832 Times in 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
I have been using the Lucas Synthetic Racing oil. It seems to work well and bearings show very little wear.

However when it is cold it leaves goo in the pan that looks similar to assembly lube.

Does the Amzoil do this? I think I have read the Valvoline does not.

Thanks,
Bill
In ten years,we have never seen Amsoil separate. I believe what your seeing is the additive package separate from the base stock oil. The higher the grade of base stock used, the less needed in additive packages.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:43 PM   #13
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
In ten years,we have never seen Amsoil separate. I believe what your seeing is the additive package separate from the base stock oil. The higher the grade of base stock used, the less needed in additive packages.
Gibbs 5-20 (XP-1) is bad for separation when cold,lots of snot in the pan,pick-up etc...gsa612

Last edited by gsa612; 01-21-2020 at 05:46 PM.
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #14
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 665 Times in 258 Posts

In talking to Lynn Groom, the Amsoil engineer, when at EMC events I have learned a lot about oil. In our conversations he got down to engineering terms, which we could converse on because of my engineering background. There is no doubt they have a product based on quality rather than cutting base stocks for profit motives. Base stocks set the initial starting point. Then the chemicals and additives are added. Some of the additives can attempt to "cover" for the molecular shortage of inferior base stocks. This is esp true when some MFG's use a low grade type base stock and chemically enhance it to perform like a higher grade. This is a simple way of saying it matters when dealing with the molecular structure of the base stocks.
IMHO the problem with drag racers using it is that they don't have a lot of distributors and a wide spread distribution system. Most guys don't keep inventory on hand and wait till the last minute to do the oil changes. I know my customers/buddies and I'm just like them in a lot of ways
BTW. Amsoil Motorcycle/Harley oil is outstanding. I got a local repair shop I did machine work for try it and it stopped a lot of problems they were having. ESP lifter and cam issues

Last edited by Adger Smith; 01-22-2020 at 02:23 PM. Reason: add
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:53 PM   #15
Chipper Chapman

Liked 141 Times in 63 Posts

I have been using their stuff for a few years now with good results, their break in oil goes in every engine I do, and I then switch to the Dominator in race engines. I typically use 10w30 in my stocker.
Chipper Chapman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-28-2020, 04:25 PM   #16
curtis reed

Liked 88 Times in 49 Posts

I used to use Amsoil 10-30 Dominator in my bracket engine. I believe it saved me from myself a long time ago. I had a needle stick and when I went to start it you can guess what happened. It spun just a bit and stopped. I was ignorant of what can happen and wanted to race that day so I pulled the plugs, spun the engine over and pumped out the alcohol that had built up in a few cylinders. The engine started and I raced on. Made 85 more passes on that engine before tearing it apart. When the head came off and I looked down you could see #1 piston c0cked in the cylinder. When I got it completely apart I couldn't believe it lived. Here is the rod that came out of it. I used to have a pic of the bearing also but couldn't find it. This is embarrassing but oh well.

The only reason I stopped using it was because it wasn't convenient to get then. I use Driven XP-7 now.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. LOL

Curtis
curtis reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-03-2020, 09:43 PM   #17
Paul Precht

Liked 223 Times in 88 Posts

Here's some good links to Amsoil specs and explaining their multi grade and Dominator oils, he has many more interesting videos about oils.
https://amsoil.lube-direct.com/2011/...nc-oil-amsoil/ ppm chart
zink for flat tappet
explaining why their multi grade is better.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thelubepage/videos more vids.
Paul Precht is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #18
Jddj

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have been using it for well over eighteen years. With nothing but praise! As far as why it is not being used by most racers, PRICE. MHO
Jddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #19
kirk

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have used amsoil in my snowmobile and motorcycle engines for years without any problems. I even had them warranty a gallon jug that split on the seam. Stand up company. Never any issues in these vehicles.
I tried the Dominator 10-30 in my race car and here is my story.
I had been using Red Line 5-30 in my FE for at least 10 years, my amsoil rep
gave me a great deal on a case of the Dominator 10-30 to try. I put it in the car
and only made one test and tune all year(3passes). My garage is climate controlled,
With no Humidity issues so I left it in the car until spring. I also run VP fuel, and when I went to drain the fuel and the oil the following spring, the oil came out in Clumps, with some rust coloring mixed in. I had etching inside the pan, but no other ill effects thankfully ..... still have 6 quarfs of amsoil on the shelf probably 7 years old. I have a full size cooling system in my car, usually stage around 140 degrees an get back to pits around 180-190 degrees so hopefully it was warm enough. Dont know how warn the oil gets, unfortunately.
Some kind of chemical reaction, with the fuel, or between different oils absolutely caused an issue for me . I never leave synthetic oil in my cars when they go in storage now

Kirk
kirk is offline   Reply With Quote