Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #11
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts
Default Re: Over Staging

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGSST109E View Post
I was watching the feed from Orlando when a stocker went in to deep during eliminations and didn't get a red. I thought he should have gone red. Maybe people questioned why not.
I didn't see that. I did see a newbie in SS, fail to courtesy stage ,and was backed up .
Joe C. , who claims to be a sportsman racer, said they were checking the dial -ins , but that didn't appear to be the case, from my vantage point.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:39 PM   #12
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

Asking for myself, not a friend...

My question would be if I accidentally deep stage can I backup and light the pre-stage again? What if I back all the way out and come back in?

Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #13
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts

The way I read it. It says the stage light so you would need to go all the way thru Pre-stage and Stage to get disqualified and not allowed to back up and restage.
As far as if you accidently went deep in a class where it is not allowed but did not go thru the stage light. Can you back up I think that needs to be clarified by the powers that be. I would think as long as you get backed up before your competitor gets staged you may be ok. But that is just an opinion.
It also says when in the stage process so I would think if you crossed in the process of doing the burn out that would not effect this rule. It may get you tossed if your class does not allow burning out across the starting line. But this rule shouldn't effect that.
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-11-2021, 12:52 PM   #14
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
Asking for myself, not a friend...

My question would be if I accidentally deep stage can I backup and light the pre-stage again? What if I back all the way out and come back in?

Bill
Tried to post this last night. If the blue lights are on , and the tree starts, either side , the deep or too shallow car goes red. You technically have a split second to re-stage.
At least that's how it used to be. Now? Have to call my lawyer for an interpretation.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:05 PM   #15
rognelson777

Liked 132 Times in 72 Posts

I would not be surprised it is some type of new technique. The latest staging I have seen racers do in the big dollar brackets races with dragsters, after burn out, backing up, they stop at prestage and leave prestage on, awaiting for other driver to prestage.
rognelson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #16
GTS340

Liked 1,068 Times in 334 Posts

another first round in super stock there was a crew member standing in the stage beam while the other car was pre-staged. The starter had to run out and get the person out of the lights.
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #17
jimmyparker

Liked 225 Times in 71 Posts

In the early days of super gas some of the drivers had a indexed magnetic tape on the driveshaft with a sensor sending a signal to a indicator light on the dash. Once they turned the bottom light they would roll in, they knew what value they needed to see on the indicator to keep from deep staging.
NHRA outlawed these devices probably 25-30 years ago.
jimmyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:08 PM   #18
GTS340

Liked 1,068 Times in 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyparker View Post
In the early days of super gas some of the drivers had a indexed magnetic tape on the driveshaft with a sensor sending a signal to a indicator light on the dash. Once they turned the bottom light they would roll in, they knew what value they needed to see on the indicator to keep from deep staging.
NHRA outlawed these devices probably 25-30 years ago.
Sounds like to me another way to cheat. Getting a 1320 measurement somehow. I mentioned a long time ago about racing a world champ that only stared at the tach like it was a geiger counter. Burp burp burp right on the dial in a head wind. Jumped out the car and tells his crew "I thought I turned the tire." Nice!
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:25 AM   #19
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Wink Re: Over Staging

Question..Race Pack type onboard loggers use a driveshaft counter /reader, right? And lots of new cars have digital dashes, right? Turn the key off and they go blank, right?
Ah, never mind..This is silly
Old 02-12-2021, 12:56 AM   #20
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,792 Times in 571 Posts

[QUOTE=GTS340;634165]Sounds like to me another way to cheat. Getting a 1320 measurement somehow. I mentioned a long time ago about racing a world champ that only stared at the tach like it was a geiger counter. Burp burp burp right on the dial in a head wind. Jumped out the car and tells his crew "I thought I turned the tire." Nice![/QUOTE

Perhaps not even very long ago?
That is all I will say!
GTX JOHN is online now   Reply With Quote