HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Garage Tech

Old 12-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Jim Hughes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default TIG welders.

I am getting ready to weld a mild steel 2 x 3 chassis and 14 point roll cage together. I want to buy a TIG welder. Is there any suggestions from the You folks on a good relieable unit to purchase. How is the Eastwood 200 AMP unit? 12746 model? I am not promoting one brand over another. I just want to get some good feed back. I have a MIG Lincoln currently.

Thanks for You time.
Jim Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,016 Times in 264 Posts
Default Re: TIG welders.

I really like the Lincoln Square Wave series.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Larry Merk

Liked 221 Times in 108 Posts

Jim,

When I was looking for a TIG welder a friend pointed me to the leasing manager at a local welding supply store. I was able to buy lease return Lincoln Square Wave TIG machine with a cart, new leads, and torch for one half the regular price. They also gave me a new machine warranty in writing. It welds great.

Check and see if any dealers have a similar program in your area.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
al wisniewski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jim,I use a Syncrowave 250 most of the time but have a Lincoln 175 Squarewave that I use at the bench for aluminum and small steel brackets.The 175 is pretty good on aluminum.I moonlighted at a guys shop doing aluminum with a new Dynasty by Miller.By far the best welder out there(that I have used).HTP makes some affordable invertor tigs that may be worth looking at.I had a HTP plasma cutter that only lasted 21 years so their stuff seems pretty reliable. Al
al wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've had two, both millers an enconotig which was excellent on Chrome Molly and so so on aluminum I replaced it with a dynasty which does well on everything and is definately better on aluminum but it was more expensive.
And I have yet to figure out how to use all of it's features.
I haven't tried the Lincoln had a cheap one (stick welder) that I converted to a DC machine and it welds fairly well for a stick welder.
I know most stock cars are welded with mig welders but I have also seen in one case nice looking mig welds that failed in an accident. Obvious you can use one for a mild steel cage but you need to have it set up right to insure sound welds.

Last edited by Bill Baer; 12-29-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Bill Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
XSTOCKER

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Once you've welded with the Miller Dynasty nothing else will compare. I've seen some used Syncrowaves go pretty reasonable, and they'll out perform any of the cheap no names.
XSTOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
Nathan Stinson

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

I have a Miller Synchrowave 250 that I have had for several years now and I like it just fine, but there is no comparison welding with a inverter machine like the dynasty's especially if you will be doing much aluminum. If I was buying one today that's what direction I would go.
Nathan Stinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

I use a Lincoln Precision Tig 275 ,but when my trusty 40 year old Hobart quit in the middle of a weekend job, I went to Harbour Freight and bought a 165 amp inverter TIG machine on sale ,with a coupon for $325 !
It will weld .134" ERW mild steel no problem .
Has a decent duty cycle too.
If you are not looking to do welding on a grand scale, and only need a DC machine for welding steel ,this is a great machine .
I've had it for 3 years and have at least a hundred hours on it and it works great.
I still use it to do "house call" jobs.

Last edited by Tom Goldman; 01-05-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Tom Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
Dano

Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts

[QUOTE=Jim Hughes;414067]I am getting ready to weld a mild steel 2 x 3 chassis and 14 point roll cage together. I want to buy a TIG welder. Is there any suggestions from the You folks on a good relieable unit to purchase. How is the Eastwood 200 AMP unit? 12746 model? I am not promoting one brand over another. I just want to get some good feed back. I have a MIG Lincoln currently.

Thanks for You time.[/QUOTET]

Hi Jim......I have one of these. Bought new from Eastwood a cpl years ago. I've only turned to on once...LOL. Made a Aluminum bracket for a oil accum. The duty cycle when using for Alum is short so warming up material is helpful.

It's for sale. I've got two Migs that are my go to units and need the space.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote