Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #51
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts
Default Re: Front End Suspension, NHRA Rule Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Andy, those cross shafts aren't any better than stock and more important they will do nothing as it relates to making this car work.

That said, there is no one posting on the net that knows better how to make these cars with small tires and stock/aftermarket/bolt on suspension work better than I. Further, there are only 2 other Chevelles and 1 Buick GS in the country last I knew or cared that are on par with my former car and they belong to Kevin Borgstrom '69 Chevelle B/SA , Ralph Landolfi '71 Chevelle B/SA(if he hasn't sold the chevelle yet) and Jason Line '71 Buick C/SA and what do they all have in common...they all run front and rear suspension kits designed, built and sold by Alf Wiebe and only one, the heaviest and least geared had 60 footed 1.28.

IF you want your car to work like mine and theirs, he's the guy you need to speak to. Do it right the first time. There is no bolt on suspension kit/parts on par, no mind better.

Be advised, that even with the best, the end user still needs to tune the suspension and chassis to achieve the results I have which becomes evident once you know that the chevelle in the other lane in my video below also has the same suspension components as my car, going down the track with his front wheels on the ground at 10 seconds in while my car which btw weighed ~ 180 lbs. more IIRC is still carrying the wheels.
Not really Ed. As far as I know Joey A and myself have the hardest leavin full weight 30X9 NA Chevelles on the planet with stock type suspension. Infact I do not run Alfs rear suspension. In my case, 1.28s at altitude, Joey's 1.286 @ Atco. John Wilson's 1.283 came with a ten inch tire. I also might ad I have a whole 56 passes on my car at this point.

HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #52
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Thanks, I am going to do my full study and do something similar. Buying parts and pieces that are the best balance of performance & price.
What engine trans do you plan on using,also convertors play a big part of how a stocker leaves the line.Be aware that Alf rear kit was deamed illegal a while back, it may have changed now. When one Alfs kit was installed on a69 chevelle stocker it did not pick up anything. It did make the car leave better no twist body roll ,but no quicker.If you plan to run a 396-375 or 427-425 then buy Alfs kit.
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #53
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Will, only problem I see with solid lowers is you can't pull the lower ball joint forward to gain positive caster..You'll have to do it all on the top.
Just hope that both side "center" in the same place.
You really want a ball type pivot on the bottom with a strut rod type suspension.
Take a look at some of the stuff for early Mustangs or Chevy II's
One other thing..THICKER body bushings give you more room between the carb and the hood.
Hey Mark,
I was just catching up on some of these post. What do you mean by-
"You really want a ball type pivot on the bottom with a strut rod type suspension."
Are you talking about a Heim type joint at the end of the strut rod where it goes through the frame up front?

I will probaly use a rubber bottom bushing with the serrates removed, do you think this would be a better option so I can address the caster issue?
Thanks for any input-
Will Lamprecht
Div 1 65 imp I/SA
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #54
Pedigo Perf

Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP HUNTER View Post
Not really Ed. As far as I know Joey A and myself have the hardest leavin full weight 30X9 NA Chevelles on the planet with stock type suspension. Infact I do not run Alfs rear suspension. In my case, 1.28s at altitude, Joey's 1.286 @ Atco. John Wilson's 1.283 came with a ten inch tire. I also might ad I have a whole 56 passes on my car at this point.

Are any of these stockers? I would like to know if an A body stocker has gone a 1.28 60'
Pedigo Perf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #55
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigo Perf View Post
I would like to know if an A body stocker has gone a 1.28 60'
NONE including the chevelle formerly owned by Joe Abbazia refered to as "Joey A" which was sold to Adam Landolfi 6 years ago and this poster's definition of "full weight" is over 100lbs. and upwards of 300 lbs. in the case of wilson's car, less than the 3880 lbs. my Chevelle weighed with me in the seat. Same old story full of lies and half truths from the ebay engine builder.

Again, I've got no time to debate the same old sh_t with the same guy about a car that I sold 5 years ago, I've moved on long ago but for those that want to know the FACTS and the TRUTH, there's several threads here including this one...

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=40441

just do a post search on that guy.

Last edited by 1320racer; 10-16-2013 at 09:26 AM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #56
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
NONE including the chevelle formerly owned by Joe Abbazia refered to as "Joey A" which was sold to Adam Landolfi 6 years ago and this poster's definition of "full weight" is over 100lbs. and upwards of 300 lbs. in the case of wilson's car, less than the 3880 lbs. my Chevelle weighed with me in the seat. Same old story full of lies and half truths from the ebay engine builder.
Again, I've got no time to debate the same old sh_t with the same guy about a car that I sold 5 years ago, I've moved on long ago but for those that want to know the FACTS and the TRUTH, there's several threads here including this one...
1320 Racer: Here's a fact: You don't or have never run a Stocker. You claim to know everything under the sun, yet you don't even build your own engine, trans., etc., and you continually slam everyone else.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #57
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:

We just wish you would practice what you preach.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #58
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

I thought this thread was about "Front End Suspension"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kaekel View Post
you don't even build your own engine, trans., etc.
and neither do the biggest and winningest names in stock and super stock!

For those like you that think they are special, claiming to build their own engines because you/they clean your parts, apply some assembly lube, check/set a few clearances, gap rings and torque a few bolts, this is for you...

over at least the next 5 months, Tilburg's, Gulius's, Watters's, Patterson's, Bischoff's and other's engine shops phones will be ringing off the wall and their shops full of the engines for and from the biggest and winingest names in class racing just as will Sunset's, Reher Morrison's, Par's, Shafiroff's, Schimdt's and others with their shops full of and building engines for the who's who of super comp, gas, street and bracket racing.

That said, YOU too buy your engine parts just like I do and the vast majority of class and bracket racers do. YOU too pay a machine shop to do your machine work just like I do and the vast majority of class and bracket racers do. YOU too pay to have your engine dyno'd just like I do and the vast majority of class and bracket racers do. So if it makes you feel smarter, makes you feel superior than the majority of us that don't, WE are ok with that and don't worry, we won't tell anyone the truth!.

Further, last I checked when reading National Dragster, the NHRA doesn't award Wins, Wally's or $$ for those who's claim to fame is they built their engine! Fletcher along with the biggest names in NHRA Sportsman racing don't build their own engines but somehow, he just managed to win his 84th and 85th Wally.

Oh and btw, the vast majority of class and serious bracket racers don't build their cars, carbs, transmissions, converters and headers and neither do you!

Last edited by 1320racer; 10-16-2013 at 11:37 AM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #59
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

1320 Racer: For your info, I do assemble my own engines and build my own transmissions. No, I don't think I'm better than anybody else because of it, but it's what I can do and afford. I literally grew up working in my dad's automatic transmission shop from '75 until '95 and I've worked at a high performance parts distributor since, so I feel I do have knowledge that I'm willing to share with others. I'm 54 now and smart enough to know that you've just got an oversized ego problem.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #60
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by impstocker View Post
Hey Mark,
I was just catching up on some of these post. What do you mean by-
"You really want a ball type pivot on the bottom with a strut rod type suspension."
Are you talking about a Heim type joint at the end of the strut rod where it goes through the frame up front?

I will probaly use a rubber bottom bushing with the serrates removed, do you think this would be a better option so I can address the caster issue?
Thanks for any input-
Will Lamprecht
Div 1 65 imp I/SA
No, I mean the single lower control arm inner bushing on those cars..You shouldn't put in a bushing that doesn't allow fore and aft movement of the lower ball joint...for adjustment purposes.
The heim on the end of the strut....I'm not sure where we left off on that controversy.