HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 12-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #21
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 699 Times in 203 Posts
Default Re: Super Gas speeds

Rock ,you're right about Atco that time .
Never saw anything that bad. ....and I love racing there cause 99.9% of the time you can't find a better track, or owner !!
Everytime I go to D3 it rains ,or the tree is broken!!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #22
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 982 Times in 298 Posts

Just ask Joe Eckel or Tom how much he loves racing us....lol! 132 mph and about 20 cars in front of you at the 900 foot mark...lol
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #23
Rollins_2241

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Top speed is definitely the way to go if your budget is unlimited. That doesn't apply to most of us.

You won't be a better racer at faster speeds, but others will make a lot more mistakes - if you both miss the ET setup, you get the last chance to bail out. If you both hold and drive the stripe, you have better visibility (though some people are surprisingly bad at driving from behind).

I can "drive" most races at 10-15 mph slower than the opponent without making lots of mistakes and guessing. Over that it gets real tough to leave enough time to make decisions that matter before the stripe. 130 is not a real bad place to be in Div. 2 S/ST. Most everyone is on your bumper at half track and you just drag them in depending on your strategy. 140 is probably perfect. The 150 cars can be tough but a lot of them take way too often.

So, does this mean the 143 mph Super Gas car I'm building is definitely in the wrong class? Yeah. But it will make S/ST weight.

Last edited by Rollins_2241; 12-29-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Rollins_2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #24
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's a bit of a problem in this discussion with cause/effect. If the division champs all run top speeds is it safe to assume that running top speeds is a prerequisite to winning? Or is it possible that people who win find themselves getting better and better, getting more and more involved in racing, and deciding to make a bigger economic commitment -- because they love it enough to devote their money to it (and because going fast is fun)?

I think most people agree that money is not the key prerequisite to winning, several other things are also important: desire, skill, practice are among them. Of course you can't win without any money, and money can buy you nice parts. But money doesn't win championships. How many people do you know who throw money at this sport for a year or two and just flail -- eventually throwing in the towel?

Yes, I think anyone with all the money in the world would build a faster car. There is some advantage to being a faster car in a Super class. But do you have to build a rocket ship to win? I don't think so.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #25
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking Re: Super Gas speeds

"Or is it possible that people who win find themselves getting better and better, getting more and more involved in racing, and deciding to make a bigger economic commitment -- because they love it enough to devote their money to it (and because going fast is fun)?"

This works for me!!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #26
rj2938

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ehh...go back to high gear stops only. Take the mph out of it. Let everyone trip the 60' clocks w/ the rear wheels like it used to be back in the day. The class numbers will increase and everyone will have way more fun!

Oh, while your at it...eliminate 50% of sfi BS. 10 yr certs on ribbon window nets and 5 yr certs on seat belts are fine. Just ask any manufacturer "off the record" and they will tell you some of the certs are overkill.
rj2938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #27
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I agree with the certs they suck......but the rules are fine.....if you want to wheelie over the 60 clocks.....have at it.....I don't believe it would affect car count at all.....

The guys that win would still win in slow cars.....They have mostly fast cars.....and for most people that is an advantage.....not all....

we do it because we can....

the car is more fun to drive also.....
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #28
Iceman Cometh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally, I wanted a car that would give me options when I was deciding in 06. Would like to run TS and did for a season in IHRA but don't have the funds to keep up so I run SG/SR.

Hell, I need to be fast cause I don't have the vision that other door cars or "the almighty" roadsters do (can see cracks in pavement as they're going down track...to quote "the Rock" ).
Old 12-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #29
Tom Joseph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman Cometh View Post
Personally, I wanted a car that would give me options when I was deciding in 06. Would like to run TS and did for a season in IHRA but don't have the funds to keep up so I run SG/SR.

Hell, I need to be fast cause I don't have the vision that other door cars or "the almighty" roadsters do (can see cracks in pavement as they're going down track...to quote "the Rock" ).
Now I feel your pain. We have a new Pro Mod Hairy bodied ,Same as yours, Camaro and I have wondered how you see the other car. Hell you have to be the fast car. My son drives the PM but I sat in it and you can only see a small patch in front of you. That car would make a badass roadster. Cut the top off and be "Almighty"
Tom Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #30
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Did I say that....lol
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote