HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Is it time to fix Super Class Racing?

I absolutely love Super Comp racing but I believe (and I think most racers would agree) that big MPH (170+)cars (Big $$) do have an advantage over their 155 MPH competitors (this it true to some extent in all the super classes) It’s a similar situation as the one that exists with Bracket Dragsters vs. the Bracket Door cars the playing field is tilted in favor of the faster guys( if you don’t think so, take look at the motor sizes for 152 car S/C entry list for Indy) and I believe that since we now have a fast bracket dragster and door car classes (Top Dragster /Top Sportsman) it’s time to fix the super classes (including Super Comp) and we can do it by simply eliminating throttle stops and throttle stop timers and go back to a fixed stop this will have us racing side by side from start to finish slow the cars down to a near equal MPH.
It will also make Super Class racing more affordable and easier to get in to (You won’t need a 567 or 632) and it would be safer as you won’t be trying to apply 1000 HP to the track 3-4 seconds after you leave the starting line.
Sit with a novice fan as they watch the super classes race they will tell you they think it looks stupid and you know what, they are right! We super class racers know why it’s like it is but we tend to ignore or accept it rather than change it.

Super class racing is gradually getting finically out of reach for the average “Joe six pack” and if we don’t change the way we do things our numbers will continue to dwindle at the local level and eventually the national level.
We have a great sport here but we need to make it grow and bring new people into it to continue.

Your thoughts???
Old 08-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts
Default Re: Is it time to fix Super Class Racing?

Bill couldn't agree more with you. CR
Old 08-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Joe Pinkston

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Is it time to fix Super Class racing? No.

Next question is, what exactly is broken about super class racing? I am not pointing fingers and I dont know either you Bill or CR, but in the circle of people I know it seems I hear more call for changing the classes from the way things are from people that never run the classes. Quite often I hear "I would run in the .90 classes if they would change this, or allow that". There are many different classes, groups and small organizations (NHRA, IHRA, heads up outlaw street type associations, Open Comp and index no throttle stop-no delay box classes) out there running, surely almost anyone can find their nitch somewhere without wanting to change what is working for others. Go try some of them and find one that suits whatever set-up you have.

Last question, what do I race? I race a back-halfed, ladder bar, small block car in S/ST that only runs 125 MPH with its tongue hanging out. There are plenty of other cars running S/ST at 140-150 MPH and thats o.k. with me. I am quite happy with the way things are.

Hey Dan Moore, you're #1.

RIP Mark Graham
Old 08-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Rick Bailey

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Red face Re: Is it time to fix Super Class Racing?

Bill, I would like to make one change to your suggestion....... throttle stops themself to be OK.... it's the timers that are the center of all the hub-bub... The t/s can be controled by high gear, or a manual button. With the stops you'll still have some fine tuning ability. But all the high mph would be history.

In my case, I'm 158 to 160. and everyone is chasing me..............boy, my neck gets sore. lol
Old 08-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well first of all Joe I'm glad your happy where your at, To answer your question I have been racing supercomp for more that 20 years ( I raced SST for a couple of years before) and at first it was affordable but with the advent of throttle stops it has become a faster and faster and more expensive sport to the point now if a guy want's to take say his kid from Juniors to a simular car in S/C he needs to invest 30-40K to have a competive car.
I know that slower cars can and do win in the super classes but there is a tactal advantage to having 10-15 MPH on your oponent so most (myself included) spend the money for the bigger motors. Perviously there was nowhere that a fast dragster or (seven second door car) could race except in super comp that's no longer true.
I will tell you that the racing is more fun when you can see them for more that 10' before the finish line and there was less hard braking at the finish line.
Thanks for sharing your opinion and good luck.racing

Last edited by Bill Baer; 08-19-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bailey View Post
Bill, I would like to make one change to your suggestion....... throttle stops themself to be OK.... it's the timers that are the center of all the hub-bub... The t/s can be controled by high gear, or a manual button. With the stops you'll still have some fine tuning ability. But all the high mph would be history.

In my case, I'm 158 to 160. and everyone is chasing me..............boy, my neck gets sore. lol
heck , Rick I'm running 165 and half the time I'm being chased......... and yea my neck is also getting sore too and so is my wallet LOL

When we first started everyone just used a bolt on the throttle to slow it them down and we all got pretty good at adjusting them and balast to "hit the number" then some super gas racer came out with an in line cylinder powered by the high gear circuit of his trans and then came the CO2 and the timers and the big motors soon followed now dart blocks and Big Chief heads are becoming the norm.

Last edited by Bill Baer; 08-19-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
billy leber

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

My sg car runs between 165 and 170 . I think its foolish , but, I like to chase better, so i play along. So many cars are going over 160 now that there is less and less advantage anyway. IMHO ,if we all went 135 instead, it would make more sense ? I would love to run a $5000 motor instead of a $25000 motor , same money to win with less expense,sounds good to me. Im sure someone is thinking, its more fun to go faster,I personally get no more thrill out of going 170 than 130 after many passes at both speeds. The only intrest i have is the win lite coming on in my lane.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 AM   #8
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Billy Leber said it best.....I have been around Super racing since the beginning and all that has happened is it has gotten way more expensive. And also become more dangerous due to the speed. We went 9.90 at 135-138 and the racing was very close. Side by side within a car length usually every run. Now everyone has to keep up with the big speed guys or your out there like a duck.........trying to judge the stripe.

In S/G today 165-170 is what most of the "players" are running

In S/C 175 to 185 and I routinely see people step up in power and end up in the winners circle.....

It is similar in Super ET bracket racing or maybe they should rename it fast dragster racing.......'cause doorcars are generally out after a few rounds....

I personally would like to see some sort of change but I am not sure exactly what would work.

I do like to watch T/D and if I had the HP I'd run it.......
Old 08-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Billy & Rich you guys seem to understand what I'm talking about.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
chebby2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: Is it time to fix Super Class Racing?

Dial the car right and there is no need to look over until the 1000 ft . Leber is right, but just make do with what you have and spend time making it work.If it's time for a change spend it on your driving. Slow cars still turn on win lights.
Closed Thread