HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 06-12-2017, 10:52 AM   #1
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts
Default The MSD Grid System

Just throwing this out there, and not actually pointing any fingers, YET.. we have all heard about the infamous Cheater Grid, and how it will give you almost perfect runs on a consistent basis.. I believe this system should be banned in NHRA Super Class racing, as it has already been banned in many bracket venues..

I brought this up to a NHRA Tech Inspector this weekend at E-Town, and I was told that NHRA is, in fact, monitoring the performance of many racers, and that they do have a tester to pick up on any illegal set-ups...

My question is two fold.. does this testing take place AFTER a racer has won a race, or a Championship, of does it take place during the, now non-existent, tech inspection at every race??... OR, does it take place at all, and is it determined on who you just may be??.. politics in drag racing??.. say it isn't so..

THOUGHTS???
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,635 Times in 517 Posts
Default Re: The MSD Grid System

I have been checked twice, last year it was after 1st rnd at E-town. This year after 1st time run at Atlanta. They are checking for the use of the arc module. Like any other electronic device, some will take advantage of whatever they can to win.
Keith 944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Is the Grid with ARC module any different than running the 7531 digital box with slew control?

There are always illegal products out there; why does the Grid in particular get such a bad reputation for this?
Old 06-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #4
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

The MSD 7531 is ILLEGAL for NHRA racing.
Dan
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdr View Post
The MSD 7531 is ILLEGAL for NHRA racing.
Dan
Yes, and it should be an item checked for in tech or random inspections, just like the Grid's ARC module should be.

I don't recall anyone calling for all Digital 7 boxes to be banned because it could be a 7531, yet I hear a lot of calls for the entire Grid system to be banned.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts

I don't claim to be a computer whiz kid, and don't think that a lap top should be tuning your race car either.. buy from what I'm hearing, the "Cheater Grid" can be programmed to provide an unfair advantage almost EVERY run.. just hit the tree, and you're on a 90 pass..

This was brought to my attention a while back, but it's now come to the fore front at several National Events...

Don't get me wrong, there are great drivers out there, with great cars.. but give those great drivers an additional advantage, and the rest of us might just as well stay home..
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

[QUOTE=Lenny5160;537193]Yes, and it should be an item checked for in tech or random inspections, just like the Grid's ARC module should be.

I agree. I had a D4 tech inspector looking at my delay box one time and asked why? He said he was making sure it was on the approved list. I told him he needs to be checking the digital boxes instead. He looked at me me like I was speaking a foreign language.

Dan Foley
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote