HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 08-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #1
The Hitman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Regret buying a motorhome?

I am really struggling right now with the motorhome issue,

I have a wife and 2 small children that I really can't think to leave for the weekend, and it's simply too hot or to difficult to take them with me when I want to go,
I had the bright idea of getting a motorhome, and I have passed on some really good deals with the fear that I am making a bad decision...

Another decent deal has shown itself and I have to make a decision, because if I don't buy this one, I need to stop looking...

Has anyone ever bought one and regretted it?
Ever bought one and was disappointed that it wouldn't pull your trailer?

Im really on the fence about this one...

Your thoughts?
The Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:45 AM   #2
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: Regret buying a motorhome?

Just my humble opinion but I think a 32' living qtrs trailer would be better. You would need a decent diesel p/u to pull it. I think the advantage is the truck can be used daily if need be and also allow you to leave the track during the weekend. Think of how much use you'll get out of the motorhome besides race dates. To me having a motorhome is like putting your house on a truck and driving it around.Things with start breaking left and right.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:55 AM   #3
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Motorhome draw backs: 4-6 miles per gallon; must pay to have hitch reinforced and motorhome frame has to be boxed (welded) to keep the frame from buckling; if it's been sitting for a while chances are that it will need tires and all the systems checked, don't forget to check for recalls. If new, you can look forward to 15 years of payments and when you're done with it you will be upside down in it and will have to take a loss when it's sold. But, if you have children and can use it for weekend vacations you might be able to get your money's worth

That's my experience with a motorhome and racing.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:11 AM   #4
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,665 Times in 851 Posts

Having family with you at the track is a big plus on many fronts if they enjoy it. Being able to use it for regular RV trips is great as well and will make some family memories that will last a lifetime. It's a gorgeous country and having a Motorhome enables you to experience that. Expensive to buy, insure and maintain? You betcha. Difficult to afford what is essentially a second home but if you can financially swing it then go for it. If that expense stresses your budget more than racing alone then it's definitely not worth it. We just spent the summer on the west coast with our MH (the racing part resumes next year) and the comfort and ease of driving compared to a large dually and living quarter trailer makes a MH a great choice. The prediction that fuel prices will remain low is helpful as well. You'll benefit from doing tons of research using the RV forums before taking the plunge. Making a bad choice can lead to a nightmare.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
cj92345

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a 99 class a 31ft with vortec 454 w/55k miles no slides for 11k, I towed enclosed with dragster, did ok, now I tow open, 2600lbs car and golf cart, does fine, I did put 4 tires on it and serviced all the fluids, I figure I can sell for close to what I have in it and its nice to have at the track....moral is if you can swing it buy a cheap one if it doesn't work out you can sell it
cj92345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
J.R. Haddad

Liked 831 Times in 185 Posts

I don't think you can find a living quarters trailer with enough living
space to keep two little ones happy. We bought a used M/H last
year and so far have only used it for racing. Everyone is much
happier! I leave the gen. and A/C on all day when it is hot, we
now eat real food instead of track food, and it is comfortable as
heck. I had a GoldRush style trailer with a salon/living quarters
and the M/H is way more comfortable. Most important benefit is
Mama is happy at the track, cause if Mama ain't happy, racing
could be in jeopardy. J.R. P.S. Tow's my enclosed trailer like a
dream.
J.R. Haddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:04 PM   #7
Terry Knott

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We bought one 5 years ago and have zero regrets. 10-11 mpg,Winnebago diesel pusher pulling a 26' enclosed trailer. We have a grand total of $15,000 invested in ours so far. Sure,little things break now and then but the comfort and convenience have out-weighed any of its mechanical issues.
Terry Knott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:43 AM   #8
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 456 Times in 172 Posts

Agree with most..... if you have children, a motor home for sure. My wife and I use a 34 ft bumper pull enclosed trailer with 10 ft living quarters. Just fine for us... but would not work with kids.

I would add, if you are racing within 400 miles of home, a few times a year......definitely a motor home. Suggestion would be to get an inexpensive one and see how it works out....and please expect the children and college.....really expensive. Stopped my racing for about 16 years. Lol

Last edited by SStockDart; 08-31-2016 at 03:24 AM.
SStockDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #9
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hitman, When my dually wore out (>300000 mi.) I went looking for another one the problem was that new they were ~$40K And I found a used low Milage Moter home for $15K it has an 8.1 vortec with an over drive trans.
The previous owner had pulled a 24' tag with a 3500# car in it. Since I was going to pull a 32' 7000# tag with it I purchased a trailer toad to keep the tongue weight off the motor home.
Pros:
AC at the track 24 hrs a day for ~$10-15 per day
Another generator
Heat
Microwave stove shower & potty TV
Confortable place to sleep with out the hassle of hotel rooms
You can have a beer or two after the races if your not driving home.
Cons:
Tows almost as well as the dually simular 6-8 MPG@70-75 does not stop as well.
The parts for the chassis can be expensive and harder to find

You gotta empty the black and grey water tanks
There is a lot more maintenance on the RV tanks to empty and fill, batteries,carpets and seats to clean, refrigerator to keep stocked and plugged in,another generator to maintain etc it takes us as much time to prep the RV as it does the race car and trailer but for me the comfort and convenience is worth the hassle

Oh one more con: they start racing stockers every day at the U.S. Nationals at Indy at 7:00 so if your sleeping at the track your not going to sleep in.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:04 AM   #10
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

We had a 27 foot gasser that was ok. It had a reinforced hitch. Pulled ok, but wind would wear you out and the brakes were marginal. (24 ft trailer). That would work ok if you were not pulling too far and the prices are decent. If you have to take an RV to the shop for every little thing, it will be expensive to maintain. If you can tinker, not too bad.mwe have an older diesel pusher now that we love, but it is much more money to maintain. In our case,mwe are slowing doing a makeover, but the coach pulls and stops like a dream!
If we ever go newer on one two things we learned. 1). Love the 8.3 Cummings 2) must have diesel generator. We can run it pretty much. Non stop. That is priceless when the weather is crazy hot out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitman View Post
I am really struggling right now with the motorhome issue,

I have a wife and 2 small children that I really can't think to leave for the weekend, and it's simply too hot or to difficult to take them with me when I want to go,
I had the bright idea of getting a motorhome, and I have passed on some really good deals with the fear that I am making a bad decision...

Another decent deal has shown itself and I have to make a decision, because if I don't buy this one, I need to stop looking...

Has anyone ever bought one and regretted it?
Ever bought one and was disappointed that it wouldn't pull your trailer?

Im really on the fence about this one...

Your thoughts?