HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 07-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
MikeMoller

Liked 242 Times in 72 Posts
Default Maryland turnout

Great facility, well run race. But why such a low car count??
Old 07-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,641 Times in 520 Posts
Default Re: Maryland turnout

I will take a shot at this question.
1. The new points program is about 1/2 way through, anyone that doesn't think they have a chance probably will just save their $. also no division points not a big incentive.
2. wasn't this a makeup race from earlier in the season? some plans had already been made.
3. it was hot!
4. this was my problem. I had plans on Saturday but Sunday was open, I haven't run ihra in about 4 years. my license and membership had expired. Someone great had put up $5000. bonus to win S/R on Sunday. That is hard to pass up, This is not my usual class. I just put in a spare engine and had 0---- 9.90 passes and the policy of only one time shot really had me on the fence about going. I knew I would be a duck but decided to go anyway. ended up spending $150 entry,$90 membership and $70 diesel plus tolls, food, etc. This will be the only IHRA race I will attend this season. a little steep for just one time run and go....
Keith 944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
Rusty Davenport

Liked 100 Times in 26 Posts

Everybody would like a great pay day racing, but is that really the attraction ??? Every racer I know would like a little RECOGNITION that includes pictures, articles, and other good stuff found only in a regular maintained WEBSITE AND THAT MAGAZINE IN THE MAILBOX. Propaganda makes anything look alive and well and the more often they see it the better. SEEING IS BELIEVING most of the time.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
DRAKE VISCOME

Liked 90 Times in 34 Posts

Hey Rusty...am with you on this...we had the fortune (maybe mis-fortune !!! lol) to function our racing energies as a business for 10 or 15 years...in early funny car '65-'80 period...for sure then it was about the $$$...but the accolades,weekly ink...exposure just as important...over last 30+ years (including currently) all been very sportsman efforts...it INDEED ain't NO BUSINESS!!!...OR ABOUT THE $$$...but it was/is about class accolades,accomplishments,photos,exposure...which neither NHRA/IHRA seems to care much about by & large...we all participate...'cause we want to...it's our "choice"...it truly hasn't become a warm & fuzzy feeling pretty much anyplace/anywhere...we accept it...to some degree...doesn't mean we like it...stock/super-stock car counts most everywhere...not great...maybe Lebanon Valley 92 car stock field (awesome) the exception @ recent Divisional...'course Division 1...ALWAYS has been huge...in my "dreams"...IHRA...more NHRA class events...let some "cats"...gain a lil' recognition...charge a few bucks more (if they have to !) to cover cost of class Wallys-Iron-Men...none most probably going to occur...so "hoss"...it'll just "stay" a old timers "dream" !!!-Drake
DRAKE VISCOME is offline   Reply With Quote