HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts
Default Re: 8.5 x 20 ' Enclosed Trailer Question

Are those axles sufficient--well, weigh the trailer; it is probably around 3300-3500 lb, more if it has cabinets, floor coverings, etc. Then what does the car weigh? Can you center the car's weight over the axles so each tire bears the same weight?
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 688 Times in 182 Posts

It's a bare trailer inside, car weight is 3100lbs.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Pete---I do not think anyone here is chastizing you for your choice of trailer they are merely trying to pass along information from their own experiences of the pitfalls that can happen when not selecting certain fundamental items for the trailer---It's your money buy anything you choose to but if problems arise after your purchase you only have yourself to blame.
Just some food for thought for example a 1967 Camaro which is a fairly small vehicle is about 16 feet long and about 75 inches wide so it really does not leave much room in the trailer for other items----I also think you might find that the 8.5 is the outside measurement and the 20 also is the outside dimension. The actual inside dimensions will obviously be less so you really do not have much room all around any particular car for other stuff FED 387
FED 387 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
Mark Ruset

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

In my opionion based on first hand experience, I lost a wheel bearing on a 3500 lb. axle. The bare minimum axle size should be 5000 lb. I f you decide to go with the smaller axles just realize you will need to replace your wheel bearings one a year just as a precaution. My current trailer has 5000 lb axles and in the past 6 years I have had no axle or wheel bearing problems, however I'm on my third set of tires.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
Doug Domm

Liked 40 Times in 19 Posts

Something else to consider if you must have a 20 footer is side door location. Proper placement of the car does not necessarily mean it will be at the back door and even if it is access to the remaining front storage and tying down the front of the car will be a pain in the rump if the side door is at the front fender of the car. A good friend bought a 20' with the bigger axles and a v-nose because of his storage site parking space and he curses the side door limitations that I pointed out before he bought it. He is satisfied with interior storage for his needs but that side door is a big pain.
Doug Domm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #16
Run to Rund

I painted a stripe on the floor and front wall so I can drive the car into the trailer and have it within 1" of centered each time, using a crease along the hood as a guide. That means I needed the left side escape door, and its placement is also critical. It must be opened and secured first, and the car door must open through the opening in the trailer. My Wells Cargo puts the car at the back to give appropriate tongue weight (10-15%) whether I carry extras up front or not. If you are ordering a trailer, specify on the form exactly where the side doors need to be. Otherwise, you could get an unpleasant surprise when it arrives. Also specify the height of the escape door opening above the floor.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
Rusty Davenport

Liked 100 Times in 26 Posts
Smile Re: 8.5 x 20 ' Enclosed Trailer Question

Actually my response is a little different than the others. Let your tow vehivle dictate the trailer size. I actually towed with a 2500 Suburban and a 20 footer for years quite comfortably. The only thing the 24-28 footer did to me was encourage me to load up the entire shop contents before I left home with a lot of stuff I never needed. With gas prices I could live with the 20 footer and make it work. It is better than a open trailer by far and most anything will pull it if you don't have a dually. The gas grill is all you need to have room for. Depends a lot on your age :-)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 688 Times in 182 Posts

I have a 1500 Yukon XL for towing with a 5.3L engine.
I do not take alot of stuff with me, and if i do, i rent a uhaul van....lol
Thats for the Big BBQ i have once a year........
Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #19
Run to Rund

Yes, you can use a 20' so long as when the car is positioned to give correct tongue weight you can get in front of it to strap it down.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #20
rallye bob

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
I have a 1500 Yukon XL for towing with a 5.3L engine.
Hope you don't encounter many hills, with that combo. It will struggle.........
rallye bob is offline   Reply With Quote