HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #31
Ralph A Powell

Liked 202 Times in 123 Posts
Default Re: Super Stock GT... new rules

The Corvettes wheel base was to short for S/M!
Ralph A Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #32
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
It has never been legal to replace the steering box with a rack in SS/GT cars or change to tubular a-arms.
Incorrect! The old language that they deleted allowed for NHRA to approve aftermarket, NHRA accepted suspensions and read: "or utilize an NHRA-accepted front suspension"

I have seen copies of letters from NHRA allowing their use and even had a copy that I received from Alex Denysenko (RIP) of an NHRA letter allowing tubular arms on a late model Mustang.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #33
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
Well, That looks like all those cars that replaced gear boxes with Rack and Pinion steering and tubular lower control arms will be in the Chassis shops this winter.
With a stroke of a pen they basically killed previously approved aftermarket suspensions that NHRA had approved and had issued letters for their use.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:44 PM   #34
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Incorrect! The old language that they deleted allowed for NHRA to approve aftermarket, NHRA accepted suspensions and read: "or utilize an NHRA-accepted front suspension"

I have seen copies of letters from NHRA allowing their use and even had a copy that I received from Alex Denysenko (RIP) of an NHRA letter allowing tubular arms on a late model Mustang.
That's news to me. Where is the approved NHRA accepted front suspension list published?
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #35
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Quote:
That's news to me. Where is the approved NHRA accepted front suspension list published?
There was no approved list. The racer would send pictures of the components, a description form the vendor website or catalog and NHRA would review it and if deem acceptable, they would issue a letter like they have done with many things.

Have you ever seen part numbers for SFI approved wheels on the accepted parts list? There are lots of parts that are accepted that are not on the list such as the Bump Steer ends that are allowed after many racers showed NHRA the danger and the tendency of the wheel of a car to steer itself after a wheelstand.

One of the problems with NHRA is that they perceive any request for the allowance of new parts as a performance advantage.
Liked
Old 12-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #36
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
It has never been legal to replace the steering box with a rack in SS/GT cars or change to tubular a-arms.
And yet I have see late 90s - early 2000s Camaro & Firebird STOCKERS that had replaced the OE steering box and linkage with a Ford rack & pinion unit. No idea how that ever was allowed.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #37
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
And yet I have see late 90s - early 2000s Camaro & Firebird STOCKERS that had replaced the OE steering box and linkage with a Ford rack & pinion unit. No idea how that ever was allowed.
1993 - 2002 Firebirds and Camaros had rack and pinion steering from the factory .
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:18 PM   #38

Liked 926 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post

One of the problems with NHRA is that they perceive any request for the allowance of new parts as a performance advantage.
Many items that have nothing to do with safety, are argued as a safety item. I remember not that long ago someone trying to say that certain engine components were not for performance, but for economical and safety reasons. That's probably why NHRA perceives it that way

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #39
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Because of the R&P on the Gen 4's there were several Gen3's built and approved by a prior Tech group. I had personal experience and argument about it a few years ago.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #40
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
Many items that have nothing to do with safety, are argued as a safety item. I remember not that long ago someone trying to say that certain engine components were not for performance, but for economical and safety reasons. That's probably why NHRA perceives it that way
Duane, I was not referring to engine components; I was referring to chassis components.

Many of the newer cars have stamped front crossmembers/cradles and lower control arms that are weak. The wheelstands will even weaken them more and if you notch them for big pans, they require lots of additional material to reinforce them.

It was a war for a Super Stock racer to get NHRA to approve the allowance of aftermarket bump steer kits for safety reasons and it was not until he showed a Tech Division director a car that was at the verge to have a failure that the tech department changed their mind.
Liked