HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 12-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #11
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Two Lane Blacktop The movie

Did you know the '55 Chevy was the same car used in American Graffiti?

I didn't know there were entire movies on YouTube. Interesting..
Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
Kirk Morgan

Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts

I was in high school at that time. I went to the out door movies and watched most of those movies. There was a interesting piece on Bullet on Yahoo news the other day. Steve Mc Queen wanted to do all the driving and stunts. He wound up not doing the stunts but did all of the rest of the driving. It was stated that they only used two Mustangs in the film.

Kirk
Kirk Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #13
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: Two Lane Blacktop The movie

I understand the two mustangs in Bullett were a 390 automatic,and a 289 4 speed version. One would definitely handle better and be great in a chase scene, the other could do great Towering Inferno burnouts, especially with no posi and street tires. I noticed while reviewing the classic chase scene- the Stang and the mopar race down a street and go hard right toward the camera, in the foreground heading toward them is a BRAND NEW green 68 Chevelle SS396.Also, does it point out how big American cars were in the 60's? I sort of forgot that.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
rawhide

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I fell asleep at the theatre when this movie first came out. James Taylor should have stuck with singing as his acting ain't much.
regards, Roland
rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #15
Jerry Hatch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The following is a link to another on line hot rod movie (hope it works). It's not drag racing but a hot rod movie from around '74 I believe. "The Calfornia Kid". I'm reasonably sure you'll recognize some very promonent actors in their early careers.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbUs-5cTNHc"]The California Kid (1974) Full movie - YouTube[/ame]
Old 01-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #16
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Talking Re: Two Lane Blacktop The movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny waters sr View Post
the best part was the m-22 rock-crusher whine through the gears..........it was a little corny ,but hey i'm a car guy..lol.....2- thumbs -up
I always thought the audio was pretty cool also. Besides the old race footage, including the A.H.R.A. event they happened across,, I thought the best scene in the movie was when they took the GTO driver for a "wakeup" ride in the '55. The "Holy S#!t look on his face while hes getting planted in the seat is priceless! How many times have we done that to an unsuspecting passenger,, I know I have.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
Hemiparts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geerhead55 View Post
I always thought the audio was pretty cool also. Besides the old race footage, including the A.H.R.A. event they happened across,, I thought the best scene in the movie was when they took the GTO driver for a "wakeup" ride in the '55. The "Holy S#!t look on his face while hes getting planted in the seat is priceless! How many times have we done that to an unsuspecting passenger,, I know I have.
Danny Durham
Awesome movie !! some great footage of the BrotherHood Street Racing Assoc in the opening scenes. very few words bit a couple of great lines..

opening scene " I think that Hemi had a TorqueFlite"
drive in scene "Ordinarly i jump @ the oppertunity, but the thing is i'm not in the habit of seeing the chevy work against a piece of junk, let's make it 50... make it 3 large explict'er an we'll have ourselves and automobile race...
Couple of neat facts... The crew could not keep the car running on the 2 carbs you see in the engine scenes. So they made a stand to set the carbs on so you could see them through the windshield and run the car on a single carb.. The guy who comes out the garage in then gas station scene who the the Thames " with some transmission trouble" was the guy who built the car for the movie.And you never know how it ends...

Chris
Hemiparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #18
1legjerry

Liked 58 Times in 8 Posts

I rented from Netflix a few years ago. i figured it was worth the 12bucks to not return it. I watch it about ever 6 months. Not a great movie, the acting is horrible but i'm a car guy and it show cars racing gota watchit.
1legjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #19
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

If you make this movie and the others mentioned, about just the cars and NOT the lame storyline, they are fun to watch.

There was a lot of pot smokin' going on at that time.

Made ALL the movies better.

Just sayin'.
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #20
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: Two Lane Blacktop The movie

Yeah, OK, it's a 1971 movie. What do you expect? Two Lane Blacktop..... It is a cult classic. I own it and several others on DVD. Reliving a misspent youth! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote