HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-17-2023, 11:59 AM   #1
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,043 Times in 274 Posts
Default Comp Cams

I received a private message regarding Comp Cams, Tim Cole, and the big block Chevy rocker arms for Stock Eliminator. Tim actually had the 1/2" stud big block Chevy rocker arms made because I told him we were going to modify the Comp Cams rockers, and have studs and poly locks made for them. He told me to wait, and he was able to push through the changes for us.

First, Time Cole retired from Comp Cams around 2018. Chris Padgitt left Comp Cams, went to Crane Cams, and then to Bullet. The person who "replaced" Tim Cole at Comp Cams is Dave McCarver.

Second, the stud and poly locks for the Comp Cams stainless pro series big block Chevy rocker arms for Stock were made by ARP. I am not sure if ARP will sell them separately.

Third, three years or so ago (sorry, cancer treatment killed some of my memory) I asked my friend at Comp Cams, Bily Godbold, to inquire about having ARP make a new stud for those rocker arms at was at least 0.187" longer on both ends. He agreed the change was necessary. Unfortunately, I do not think the change was ever made.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:52 PM   #2
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts
Default Re: Comp Cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
I received a private message regarding Comp Cams, Tim Cole, and the big block Chevy rocker arms for Stock Eliminator. Tim actually had the 1/2" stud big block Chevy rocker arms made because I told him we were going to modify the Comp Cams rockers, and have studs and poly locks made for them. He told me to wait, and he was able to push through the changes for us.

First, Time Cole retired from Comp Cams around 2018. Chris Padgitt left Comp Cams, went to Crane Cams, and then to Bullet. The person who "replaced" Tim Cole at Comp Cams is Dave McCarver.

Second, the stud and poly locks for the Comp Cams stainless pro series big block Chevy rocker arms for Stock were made by ARP. I am not sure if ARP will sell them separately.

Third, three years or so ago (sorry, cancer treatment killed some of my memory) I asked my friend at Comp Cams, Bily Godbold, to inquire about having ARP make a new stud for those rocker arms at was at least 0.187" longer on both ends. He agreed the change was necessary. Unfortunately, I do not think the change was ever made.
Spoke with ARP this morning. They told me the studs are a special made stud for Comp Cam and they can not or will not sell to an individual.
Called Comp, they said they will not "break up" a kit to sell juct studs and poly locks. Thought to myself "what if I need one or two, does that mean I have to buy whole kit" Sure looks like Comp and ARP both are not racer friendly.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:19 PM   #3
BillyCarroll

Liked 117 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Cain View Post
Spoke with ARP this morning. They told me the studs are a special made stud for Comp Cam and they can not or will not sell to an individual.
Called Comp, they said they will not "break up" a kit to sell juct studs and poly locks. Thought to myself "what if I need one or two, does that mean I have to buy whole kit" Sure looks like Comp and ARP both are not racer friendly.
Alan, I'm not on the tech side so I can't answer the question as to the additional length on each end without some more information, but I did see Terry's reply and questioned a contact in the engine builder room and was given two part numbers. I'm not sure if these are what Terry is looking for.

Stud - # 4543-1
https://www.compcams.com/hi-tech-roc...hread-cpg.html

Poly Lock - # 4657-1
https://www.compcams.com/hi-tech-pol...ingle-cpg.html
BillyCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 01:21 PM   #4
Rick J

Liked 44 Times in 19 Posts

That's where the industry has been going in recent years.....

Step 1. "Firm" full of know nothings buys up aftermarket parts company(s).
Step 2. Purge personnel that have experience and knowledge.
Step 3. Bring in the used car sales types to make videos speaking on subjects they have no experiance with or hands on knowledge about.
Step 4. Lose customers/revenue
Step 5. Sell off failing company(s)
Step.6. New owner(s) issue press release calling their new venture a win/win..... blah, blah, blah
Rick J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 07:31 PM   #5
Terry Cain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCarroll View Post
Alan, I'm not on the tech side so I can't answer the question as to the additional length on each end without some more information, but I did see Terry's reply and questioned a contact in the engine builder room and was given two part numbers. I'm not sure if these are what Terry is looking for.

Stud - # 4543-1
https://www.compcams.com/hi-tech-roc...hread-cpg.html

Poly Lock - # 4657-1
https://www.compcams.com/hi-tech-pol...ingle-cpg.html
Thanks. Sure looks to me as if studs and poly locks are available separately. I think the sales team could use some more training.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:50 PM   #6
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,649 Times in 521 Posts

Guys, please don’t bash comp cams and especially Billy Carroll. This man has done nothing but go out of his way to get people paid on Contingency and to find parts like he just did
thanks Billy, and comp cams for all you do! you have been more than great to me, and I will continue to spend my money with you!
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 12:31 AM   #7
BillyCarroll

Liked 117 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith 944 View Post
Guys, please don’t bash comp cams and especially Billy Carroll. This man has done nothing but go out of his way to get people paid on Contingency and to find parts like he just did
thanks Billy, and comp cams for all you do! you have been more than great to me, and I will continue to spend my money with you!
Thank you for the kind words, Keith. I greatly appreciate it along with your support. I try to help anyway I can. That being said, Terry has a point that needs to be addressed. I have the luxury of walking to the key guys in any department for help. Unfortunately, guys calling in might get a guy that is answering a question correctly (not breaking up a kit), but not tenured enough to know that there might be a work around, in this case the individual part number (stud and poly lock) to get the customer what he is looking for.

Regardless, we can do better. I will bring this example and scenario to the tech line manager so that it can be discussed and hopefully prevent it from happening in the future.
BillyCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 06:29 PM   #8
Terry Cain

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words, Keith. I greatly appreciate it along with your support. I try to help anyway I can. That being said, Terry has a point that needs to be addressed. I have the luxury of walking to the key guys in any department for help. Unfortunately, guys calling in might get a guy that is answering a question correctly (not breaking up a kit), but not tenured enough to know that there might be a work around, in this case the individual part number (stud and poly lock) to get the customer what he is looking for.

Regardless, we can do better. I will bring this example and scenario to the tech line manager so that it can be discussed and hopefully prevent it from happening in the future.
Thank you Billy. I stand corrected about Comp not being racer friendly and if I ever see ya at a race I will offer ya a drink.
Liked
Old 12-14-2023, 11:20 PM   #9
goinbroke2

Liked 174 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:

Well, I might as well throw another one at you then Billy, I tried ordering a custom cam for my stocker and was told Comp no longer sells internationally (Canada) I got the one I wanted (comp) but it was from someone living in the US.

Any chance this was a mistake and can be rectified or is this in stone?
Thanks
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 12:24 AM   #10
prostockpete1

Liked 72 Times in 44 Posts

there are a few canadian WD .s who buy direct from Comp cams .. see if your local speed shop has a account with Karbelt or Keystone automotive or i would think the canadian east coast engine shop Armstrong brothers probably buy direct from Comp
prostockpete1 is offline   Reply With Quote