HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-27-2023, 08:06 AM   #1
al wisniewski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default front suspensions on ss/modified

There was some discussion awhile back about allowing RWD cars(new stuff) some aftermarket parts on the front suspension.The rulebook clearly states NHRA accepted front suspensions except what are they? As the Copo program comes to an end,some of the parts will be more scarce.These cars have a lightweight front sub to begin with so can they be replaced with a tubular cradle like the FWD conversions?
al wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 05:13 PM   #2
SBillinson

Liked 167 Times in 47 Posts
Default Re: front suspensions on ss/modified

I called the tech department about four months ago to ask the same question. The answer: There are none.

It's ridiculous, really. The FWD cars can have almost any front suspension, including tubular A-arms.

I pointed to Comp SM, where RWD cars can have aftermarket front suspension parts. For SS/Modified? No dice.

It makes no sense....
Old 12-31-2023, 12:28 PM   #3
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBillinson View Post
I called the tech department about four months ago to ask the same question. The answer: There are none.

It's ridiculous, really. The FWD cars can have almost any front suspension, including tubular A-arms.

I pointed to Comp SM, where RWD cars can have aftermarket front suspension parts. For SS/Modified? No dice.

It makes no sense....
Steve,
I addressed this rule 10 years ago in many ways and forms with NHRA, including sending pictures and section cuts of the OEM stamped engine crossmembers on late-model RWD cars and engineering analysis when I was trying to build my 1994 SN95 Mustang for SS/CS class.

At the time, Bruce Balchelder supported the rule change of the same premise I used; Chromemoly arms and crossmember are structurally stronger than the stamped OEM parts, especially during a wheelstand.
However, Danny Gracia shot it down, however, I have an email stating that it would be allowed for Comp Eliminator Super Modified and the reason I build the car for Comp Eliminator SM, which I ended selling unfinished.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-01-2024, 02:25 PM   #4
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 678 Times in 291 Posts

I went through this with NHRA a while back with my SS/BS Barracuda (still in development and as I age becoming a garage queen).

Basically NHRA approved was stock suspension for cars that were originally RWD.

I know there are usually two sides to every story but does anyone think allowing RWD cars to perform front suspension modifications the FWD conversions are allowed is a bad idea?

I think the affected classes in Super Stock could be GT, Modified, and Modified Stock

Thanks,
Bill Lamb
SS/BS 4340
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 05:42 PM   #5
Mark Ugrich

Liked 57 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Steve,
I addressed this rule 10 years ago in many ways and forms with NHRA, including sending pictures and section cuts of the OEM stamped engine crossmembers on late-model RWD cars and engineering analysis when I was trying to build my 1994 SN95 Mustang for SS/CS class.

At the time, Bruce Balchelder supported the rule change of the same premise I used; Chromemoly arms and crossmember are structurally stronger than the stamped OEM parts, especially during a wheelstan.
However, Danny Gracia shot it down, however, I have an email stating that it would be allowed for Comp Eliminator Super Modified and the reason I build the car for Comp Eliminator SM, which I ended selling unfinished.
What was Gracia’s reasoning behind not allowing the modifications? I agree it makes no sense to allow only FWD conversions to use aftermarket control arms and suspension.

Last edited by Mark Ugrich; 01-01-2024 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Mark Ugrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:44 AM   #6
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ugrich View Post
What was Gracia’s reasoning behind not allowing the modifications? I agree it makes no sense to allow only FWD conversions to use aftermarket control arms and suspension.
Who knows! Gracia and I never got along, not surprising to anyone.
On the other hand, Bruce thought I had made a strong case, and had provided the technical evidence and even engineering analysis that made sense.
In the end, all I got was an email stating it was legal for Comp Eliminator Super Modified but not Super Stock Modified.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-02-2024, 12:31 PM   #7
SBillinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Who knows! Gracia and I never got along, not surprising to anyone.
On the other hand, Bruce thought I had made a strong case, and had provided the technical evidence and even engineering analysis that made sense.
In the end, all I got was an email stating it was legal for Comp Eliminator Super Modified but not Super Stock Modified.
Kudos for your efforts, Joe. On the upside, at least you made it happen for Comp.

Unfortunately, reason and logic are rarely well received and reciprocated.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:29 PM   #8
SBillinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
I went through this with NHRA a while back with my SS/BS Barracuda (still in development and as I age becoming a garage queen).

Basically NHRA approved was stock suspension for cars that were originally RWD.

I know there are usually two sides to every story but does anyone think allowing RWD cars to perform front suspension modifications the FWD conversions are allowed is a bad idea?

I think the affected classes in Super Stock could be GT, Modified, and Modified Stock

Thanks,
Bill Lamb
SS/BS 4340
I'm sure that Joe presented a strong case for the changes, replete with engineering and practical rationales, but, unfortunately, to no avail.

The FWD cars are given a significant advantage over RWDs not only from the standpoint of the front suspension, but changes to the frame, floor, tunnel and firewall. Most importantly, they're small, light and aerodynamic.

RWD cars are inherently disadvantaged since they are larger, heavier and less aerodynamic. But we choose to run them. There will always be the Einstein's who say "then, why don't you just build a FWD conversion car?" As though that's a rational response or solution.

Under the current rules, our cars are flat out penalized, which makes no sense, never mind creating better parity.

Changes to the front suspension not only create a safer car, but removes weight and provides more manageable engine and header clearance. It can also provide room for a belly pan.

The rule is bewildering.