HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-01-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
FrankM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Pure Stock '95 Firebird Firehawk

I have been drag racing bracket for many years and have always wanted to get into Class racing. I am looking at purchasing a '95 Firehawk to make into a class car. For the time being due to budget I am looking at Pure Stock and eventually into a Stocker. What I can find so far is IHRA has it rated at 315 for PS and the NHRA guides has the Firehawk weighing 3050. With looking at that I see it as a natural B/PS. Am I right? Is this a good combo for PS and eventually Stock? Keep in mind I am not in any plans to set records, just want to have fun in a class I love from the day I saw it. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

Last edited by FrankM; 08-01-2015 at 06:44 PM.
FrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: Pure Stock '95 Firebird Firehawk

Hi Frank,, in my opinion, if this Firehawk gets you into the game, its a good combo. At least you're not sitting in the stands like me! As for it being competitive, I wouldn't worry about it right now,, I feel you're approaching this with the right attitude. You've bracket raced enough to know how to cut a light or work on your car to improve it.
Theres some fine folks on here that can steer you the right direction,, I'm surprised that Dan Fahey isn't on here already,,,hes Pure Stocks biggest cheerleader. I met him at Columbus last year and feel he is very knowledgable about PS.
Get the Firehawk and go have some fun,, my 2 cents.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts
Default Re: Pure Stock '95 Firebird Firehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM View Post
I have been drag racing bracket for many years and have always wanted to get into Class racing. I am looking at purchasing a '95 Firehawk to make into a class car. For the time being due to budget I am looking at Pure Stock and eventually into a Stocker. What I can find so far is IHRA has it rated at 315 for PS and the NHRA guides has the Firehawk weighing 3050. With looking at that I see it as a natural B/PS. Am I right? Is this a good combo for PS and eventually Stock? Keep in mind I am not in any plans to set records, just want to have fun in a class I love from the day I saw it. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank
Hey Frank and Danny
Good Morning ..just saw this..
Cool another PS car is good.
The Camaro/Firebird cars are excellent platforms.

First email Mike Baker at IHRA for the correct class.
Typically 4.10 gears, converter, Tune, tires get you close or under the index in even hot weather.
You have a 7.5 inch rear which is strong enough for PS.
Suggest you ping your C/FB community how they keep them reliable.

After that read the rules to make the car more reliable.
Key upgrade is a PS Blueprinted Cam for your engine.
Bullet Cams have great PS cams that meet IHRA Specifications.
Bullet and Mike Baker have done a lot of corroborating what is acceptable.

Just remember the 11.50 ET rule.
Going any quicker requires a Roll Bar.
In B/PS not hard to get below that.

I use Yank Converters the SS series is very streetable.
Just had my YankSS3800 rebuilt.
Replaced with a more aggressive PT4200.
The locking Converters make cruising easy.
Makes for playful street testing.

Two key Tuners are PCMforLess and Ed Wright who lurks on this blog.
I use TunerCat for making tuning changes.

Hope this gets you started!

Dan
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
FrankM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Thanks Dan. One thing I didn't mention is this will be a drag only car, I have no plans to drive it on the street if that changes any suggestions from anyone.

Frank
Old 08-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #5
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Quote:
Thanks Dan. One thing I didn't mention is this will be a drag only car, I have no plans to drive it on the street if that changes any suggestions from anyone.

Frank
Hey Frank
What Division you running?
Also you have ODB1 Computer and easier to Tune than the ODB2.
I think you car would fall either C or D/PS.
When you get finished send me a picture to danfahey@dansources.com

I will post it on the Pure Stock Photo Album.

Dan

Last edited by Dan Fahey; 08-03-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #6
FrankM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I am in division 3, I live just north of Columbus, OH. I will email IHRA about HP and weight, NHRA has it at 3050 for the Firehawk which I'm guessing is due to the composite body panels including the hood. I hope to have it home soon, made the deal with my brother and now it's to find the time to go get it.
Frank
Old 08-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Quote:
I am in division 3, I live just north of Columbus, OH. I will email IHRA about HP and weight, NHRA has it at 3050 for the Firehawk which I'm guessing is due to the composite body panels including the hood. I hope to have it home soon, made the deal with my brother and now it's to find the time to go get it.
Frank
Division 3 cool !
National Trails Raceway, Quaker and Pittsburgh all have independent races during the year.
Lots of opportunities to mix it up .!

If you can grab some old magazines.
The Camaro/FB racers use to have a race series for a while.
Classes were Bolt On (Near Pure Stock), Head Cam, Stocker, Big Dawg classes.

Had great tips how to upgrade and go fast.

Until middle of this year I drove to all the races.
Loved the TriState Races and was Runner Up in two of them.
Get to the track put my racing tires on and raced.
Put streets on and went home.

Dan
Old 08-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #8
KennyAnderson

Liked 234 Times in 80 Posts

Mornin Frank, WELCOME in! The PS water is fine! LOL!! I built a 93 Z28 for my kid getting out of JR dragsters. We run it in C/PS down here in Div2. We did it as a nice father son project. We did the usual stripping of everything not necessary, put in a rollbar, did torque arm, sway bar, replacement springs, control arms, shocks in the rear. Had Greg at FTI build us a converter (call him, much less $$$ than a Yank and FAST!) we also did a non-lock up kit in the tranny since it will be track only. Ed Wright did a chip for us, we put on headers w/ muffs, etc. I tried to use the 7.5 inch 10 bolt but it didn't last long. Luckily some friends helped us out with a killer deal on a 12 bolt. The motor is BONE STOCK w/ 160k on the clock and it still goes 4 tenths under. We plan on doing the bullet cam but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Here is the kicker. The car is pretty fast, its EASY to race, and DEADLY consistent. I have a total investment of just over 6k and it has paid for itself in about a season and a half!!! I ran it last year in D/PS and did pretty well and the kid is having a really great FIRST year in a big car including winning stock at the Bradenton Nitro Jam!! Hopefully we will be heading to Memphis in October!

The only downside is we have friends with 30k++++ in true, legal, stockers who are PISSED at us cause we folded em up in our "beater"! Once I bring em a cool one its all good again. WELCOME IN!!!
KennyAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #9
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyAnderson View Post
Mornin Frank, WELCOME in! The PS water is fine! LOL!! I built a 93 Z28 for my kid getting out of JR dragsters. We run it in C/PS down here in Div2. We did it as a nice father son project. We did the usual stripping of everything not necessary, put in a rollbar, did torque arm, sway bar, replacement springs, control arms, shocks in the rear. Had Greg at FTI build us a converter (call him, much less $$$ than a Yank and FAST!) we also did a non-lock up kit in the tranny since it will be track only. Ed Wright did a chip for us, we put on headers w/ muffs, etc. I tried to use the 7.5 inch 10 bolt but it didn't last long. Luckily some friends helped us out with a killer deal on a 12 bolt. The motor is BONE STOCK w/ 160k on the clock and it still goes 4 tenths under. We plan on doing the bullet cam but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Here is the kicker. The car is pretty fast, its EASY to race, and DEADLY consistent. I have a total investment of just over 6k and it has paid for itself in about a season and a half!!! I ran it last year in D/PS and did pretty well and the kid is having a really great FIRST year in a big car including winning stock at the Bradenton Nitro Jam!! Hopefully we will be heading to Memphis in October!

The only downside is we have friends with 30k++++ in true, legal, stockers who are PISSED at us cause we folded em up in our "beater"! Once I bring em a cool one its all good again. WELCOME IN!!!
Hey Kenny!
You Guys rock in Div2
$30k stockers easy but many are near $100k.
We almost qualify as Dime Racer.
As time goes our Pure Stockers are upgraded like all cars.
Perfect class for any classic car and still maintain its value.

D
Old 08-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #10
Mike Savelle

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Cool Re: Pure Stock '95 Firebird Firehawk

Kenny how fast have you gone in the 1/4
Mike Savelle is offline   Reply With Quote