Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #41
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts
Default Re: Indy Teardown Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fuller View Post
I find this thread very interesting because during my career as a machine shop supervisor for a fortune 500 company we had a CMM in the shop. It did not have a laser attachment but used a probe. I attend classes for the purpose of learning the software and hardware concerning this piece of equipment for two weeks. My best operator attended classes for about four weeks and was very good at using this for a number of purposes.

In 1991 when the company purchased this machine it cost $56,000.00.It was a Browne & Sharpe 7-10-7. Smaller ones were cheaper but still not significantly. I don't know what a CMM with a laser attachment that had the ability to perform a 3D scan on a cylinder head would cost today. I feel comfortable saying that if NHRA were to start doing this at national events it would be best to contract someone to do this because of the complexity of this procedure. Being able to compare the scanned data to the CAD file of a know stock head would take a talented and well trained professional.

I am not saying this can or cannot be done at Indy but, it will be interesting to see what is going to happen.
We had one too.
Had to have it calibrated once a year and the factory tech guy was always concerned . about the floor being level because we had BIG presses close by that shook the floor all day long. If they try to do it in a trailer I'd be real concerned.
Liked
Old 08-15-2019, 08:05 PM   #42
Ralph A Powell

Liked 202 Times in 123 Posts

From I have been told NHRA has been using the tool to check Top Fuel and Funny Car parts that have been submitted to see that they match the parts on file at NHRA for some time. My info comes from a very reliable source.
Ralph A Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #43
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Lightbulb Re: Indy Teardown Warning

OK - So it's a Thursday night and I'm bored - so I may as well jump in the water and see if I'm bitten by some computer 'sharks' . As Ken said earlier we really don't know what this digitizing will bring - sadness ? Expense ? Level the playing field ? fights with officials ? low car counts ? And God knows what else but no one has spoke about what good could come out of the so called 'New Sheriff' and associates that are coming to the big Indy teardown.Most of us have 'bitched and moaned' about the lack of policing and teardowns in recent years and now that 'they' are willing to do something about it many don't like it - can't have it both ways boys and girls .At least it's a start - give 'em a chance …….
Old 08-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #44
SGE1340

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Matyas View Post
OK - So it's a Thursday night and I'm bored - so I may as well jump in the water and see if I'm bitten by some computer 'sharks' . As Ken said earlier we really don't know what this digitizing will bring - sadness ? Expense ? Level the playing field ? fights with officials ? low car counts ? And God knows what else but no one has spoke about what good could come out of the so called 'New Sheriff' and associates that are coming to the big Indy teardown.Most of us have 'bitched and moaned' about the lack of policing and teardowns in recent years and now that 'they' are willing to do something about it many don't like it - can't have it both ways boys and girls .At least it's a start - give 'em a chance …….
Well said Jack !
SGE1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-16-2019, 01:04 AM   #45
Scott Loge

Liked 141 Times in 30 Posts
Talking Re: Indy Teardown Warning

I’m still hung up on
Bring tools and parts to do a tear down,
Really! Was this an option?
We went from open trailer , pick up trucks with gaskets stacked behind seats to
70 plus foot rigs and dual deckers but u don’t have a gasket set or tools to tear it down?!?!
And aren’t the parts on the car supposed to go back on the car where they came from?
Indy should be fun!
Scott Loge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #46
dannyboy

Liked 42 Times in 10 Posts

From a reliable source, about a month ago someone told NHRA that Factory Stock Showdown engine builders were raising combustion chambers so it seems as right now that is the direction they are going, to the best of knowledge there has been nothing done with OEM Heads.

Teardowns are now a priority by direction from the new sheriff
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #47
Jon Sarrett

Liked 136 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Loge View Post
I’m still hung up on
70 plus foot rigs and dual deckers but u don’t have a gasket set or tools to tear it down?!?!
And aren’t the parts on the car supposed to go back on the car where they came from?
Indy should be fun!
Well said Scott. My dad and I have never went to an event without the tools and parts to put it back together in the event our ticket(s) are punched.

For about 5 or 6 years it seemed my dad would get tore down at every event Gracia would be at. It got to be a real pain in the ***** and wallet toward the end. No MLS gaskets back in those days. Morale of the story, come prepared ALWAYS because not having the equipment or parts isn't a valid excuse to skip being tore down.
Liked
Old 08-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #48
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Loge View Post
I’m still hung up on
Indy should be fun!

I am guessing there are some that buy their engines from an engine builder and have someone assemble the engine and transmission in the car then go racing. They probably have no idea what gaskets to bring with them if they did not get a set from the engine builder. Some may not have the knowledge or the physical ability to take the engine apart and put it back together and race the next day. I don't haul an engine hoist or engine stand with me to the race track but I have plenty of tools and gaskets to take a head off.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #49
Jeff Johnson

Liked 34 Times in 13 Posts

Soon to be released by NHRA the following statement.....This "Technical Enhancement" will raise the price of a entry by...…..
Jeff Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #50
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: Indy Teardown Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Broome View Post
Let's imagine what we can accomplish by digitizing a bunch of "stock" heads !

NHRA can now qualify the extent of these variables and use that information to discern the competitors pushing the boundaries of the rules.
I would anticipate that currently there is not a big enough database to qualify ,or disqualify, most OEM castings. There are probably some castings that are modified outside the range of credulity, those racers should be the ones to fear inspection.
The cylinder head garbage has been going on a LONG time. It started back before the mid 1980's. I know of several who did this for a fact and still do. I could name names but that would start a war so I won't. NHRA expanded on it by allowing the any duration and over lap rule along with any valve spring pressures. You might as well be running Super Stock and eliminate the stocker classes all together !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote