HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-05-2019, 06:08 PM   #1241
Dissident

Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts
Default Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Although not a bubble-pack solution, one can enhance the strength of the bottom end of a two-bolt block with a little thought and inexpensive parts.Using 7/8" keystock and milling the caps so they are flat on top......The pic speaks for this simple solution. Stronger than after market 2 bolt caps. Either method requires checking and align honing. Thus far the pic represents approx $30 spent for all the caps 1-4 and keystock. Not align honed yet.

I encourage cost effective and logical alternatives.

Sorry for the hijack.....

Regards,
HB2
Dissident
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0041.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	50069  

Last edited by Dissident; 06-05-2019 at 06:10 PM. Reason: insert words
Dissident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:21 PM   #1242
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Put the money you will spend on main caps and the labor to fit them towards a Bow-Tie or Dart block.
I don't really have any money in it, maybe a few hundred dollars. There's no way I'm the only guy that's running a stock block. Especially since I had a two bolt with stock main cap bolts to begin with.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #1243
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
I honestly don't see this as being questionable. How is a 400hp stock block an issue?
Agree 100 %, you're having terrible luck putting together one of the greatest readily available V8 engines ever designed. An aftermarket block at this level while desirable is not necessary. How many hundreds of Stock/Superstockers have belted out thousands of stout runs before there were aftermarket blocks.Yes many of the OE blocks are getting old but many are still available that have sat idle under a work bench or on a rack in a machine shop somewhere. It is great of you to share your journey with us and equally nice that so many have chimed in with suggestions. I just feel that sometimes we tend to hit the overkill button. No offence but you are building a Stocker SB not a 11000 rpm Comp engine. We are all hoping you turn the page on this horrible luck and I wouldn't have the courage to post publicly like you have done. Hats off to you,Todd and Amber.
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #1244
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Tim, I built this in the late 80's, it was my street car. DOT M&H's and mufflers 3700lbs 383 with a stock non filled 2 bolt block it would run high 9's@140+ and I beat it weekly with that stock block.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:06 PM   #1245
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
I honestly don't see this as being questionable. How is a 400hp stock block an issue?
Ring seal is extremely important in a stocker or for anything that you want to make as much power as possible. How much will you spend prepping the oem block
Old 06-05-2019, 09:23 PM   #1246
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
Ring seal is extremely important in a stocker or for anything that you want to make as much power as possible. How much will you spend prepping the oem block
I have to buy main studs and hard block, I'm also paying to try this rust stripping deal, so probably $300.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:30 AM   #1247
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
I don't really have any money in it, maybe a few hundred dollars. There's no way I'm the only guy that's running a stock block. Especially since I had a two bolt with stock main cap bolts to begin with.
Using an OEM block is fine, just not optimum. My point was not to waste your money on aftermarket main caps and the labor to install them.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:54 AM   #1248
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Using an OEM block is fine, just not optimum. My point was not to waste your money on aftermarket main caps and the labor to install them.
Once I get to the point of machining, if the caps are an issue they'll be replaced but I don't expect to.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #1249
1matcoman

Liked 281 Times in 111 Posts
Wink Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Uh, please pardon the off-top question, but PLEEAAZZE tell us that you still have that '57 2-door long top in your garage!
1matcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #1250
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1matcoman View Post
Uh, please pardon the off-top question, but PLEEAAZZE tell us that you still have that '57 2-door long top in your garage!
No I do not, but it does have a story. I bought that car from a guy (Darrel Heuberger) I went to high school with (he drove it to prom, it was the coolest), I paid $150 for the body, we pulled his tunnel rammed small block with a muncie and a v-gate shifter out (Mid 80s in high school, I remember it like it was yesterday) and off I went. I played with it for a few years, back half with an 8 3/4 rear, super stock leafs and a pinion snubber. In about 1991 I took the car to a local chassis shop and had it backhalfed with a dana and ladder bars. It was my weekend street toy and my Saturday morning test-n-tune date. Unfortunately Darrel was killed in a local car accident late 90's. He had three very small boys and a wife left behind. We had a local nostalgia race so I put a tunnel ram on it, a muncie with a v-gate, just how I always remember when Darrel owned it. We went to the local nostalgia drags and gave rides down the strip for donations to his family. Shortly after, his parents contacted me and wanted to try to get the car back, well, I all but gave the car to them with the understanding that the car would be theirs or mine. I'm happy to report that My friend Darrel Heuberger is watching his sons, race HIS car, today...

Last edited by Nmbr1GMfan; 06-06-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Nmbr1GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote