HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #31
Monte Howard

Liked 48 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: GM Releases 2013 bogus HP ratings at PRI show

Mark, I have been following your progress in the comp car, looks like it's coming around. Your correct stock is going to hell fast, before long comp will be cheaper than stock with all the new factory hot rods. Good luck with your new endeavor.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #32
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Sounds like a lot of you want to go back to Pure Stock !!

You are welcome and win the same money..

D
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #33
Tom P

Liked 213 Times in 85 Posts

Considering the base V6 Camaro is rated over 300hp net what "350" is less?

When are they going to start selling Jerry Haas Pro Stockers with Sonny's 1005 cube Hemi engines rated at 325hp for B and C Stock?

Last edited by Tom P; 12-02-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #34
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

With NHRA allowing this, it proves one thing. They do not care if everyone with a car 15 years or older goes away. The NHRA upper management wants the manufacturer money, and could care less about us. The clock is ticking for us. We either go out and get slaughtered in heads up racing, or just go away and find another outlet for our money.
This can't mean anything but that. Almost makes you want to ignore the rules when racing against one of these new cars. Just not to lay down for the guys that race these cars. Nobody who is alowing this, cares about fairness and equaility of all the racers regardless of what cars they race or how old they are. Sad times indeed
Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #35
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Question might be, if you could do one thing from a business point to create "new "interest in Stock and SS racing, and new business partners to help support it what would you accept? Lots of looser rules for new tech? Lots of looser hp ratings to encourage entry of NEW cars for the spectators? Consider the fact that many Stock and SS cars are now in the 50 year old range. To get spectators interest who never saw them new or were born 20 years after they were new, should you "allow" them to become non competitive? encourage them to not survive while not creating a rule to exclude them? Time and racing moves forward and some of us are stuck in time enjoying our older ways and cars.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #36
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Todd you've got me thinking... Tell me what would be the consequences for the older car in this scenario. Older car can run -1.00 under at legal weight and say its possible older car could remove enough weight to pick up say .30 for example only lets say that older car is entered in D but can get to B weight. So now illegally the older car can run -1.3 under against a new underrated combo. Older car knows that it has a heads up run with this new car in the next round. Now older car make new car run at least 1.3 under as long as older car has is even or better on the tree. Older car goes down and dumps new car to run the as suspected -1.00 under. New car goes 1.3x under and get hp on Tuesday... Older car doesn't get the win light so drives by scales and goes home. Tell me what consequences old car gets in this scenario if any? Old car knew before going to the staging lanes that he was not going to win a green light race. The only down side I see is if the new car red lights and old car has to go to the scales. Now what?
69Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #37
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

Kris, that was just the fustration speaking thats all. If the guy your are racing redlights and they find whatever you do to pick up for that race, you are branded as a cheater. For me its not worth it. I have to much respect for the people I race against to do that. The best thing to do is make yoiur car as fast as possible, and when you race these guys run as close to the 1.00 mark as you can. loose the battle but try to win the war as they say.
It would be nice if these cars were only 2 to 3 tenths faster then us, not 7 or 8 in bracket mode. Best thing is to build your combo and go out and race. We still have a great sport and great people that we are privliged to race with. Im looking forward to going out and banging gears and working on my car to make it the best I can. We never know what tomorrow will bring.

Dick, your ideas is not bad, but in this economy I cant see many racers going out and upgrading their old cars with brand new crate engines with fuel injection. Lots of expense with not much return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Cobra View Post
Todd you've got me thinking... Tell me what would be the consequences for the older car in this scenario. Older car can run -1.00 under at legal weight and say its possible older car could remove enough weight to pick up say .30 for example only lets say that older car is entered in D but can get to B weight. So now illegally the older car can run -1.3 under against a new underrated combo. Older car knows that it has a heads up run with this new car in the next round. Now older car make new car run at least 1.3 under as long as older car has is even or better on the tree. Older car goes down and dumps new car to run the as suspected -1.00 under. New car goes 1.3x under and get hp on Tuesday... Older car doesn't get the win light so drives by scales and goes home. Tell me what consequences old car gets in this scenario if any? Old car knew before going to the staging lanes that he was not going to win a green light race. The only down side I see is if the new car red lights and old car has to go to the scales. Now what?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #38
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

This whole argument comes down to corruption. The manufacturers give money to NHRA in exchange for allowing these bogus cars with bogus motors and bogus horsepower ratings to be allowed in stock and super stock. This corrupts the whole process. NHRA has abdicated it's responsibility to try and provide a level playing field for as one of my friends said, " some pickup trucks and a few courtesy cars". I think it's probably more significant than that but that's what is driving this whole deal. This has been happening for a number of years going back to Oldsmobile in the 70's and 80's, then Pontiac in the 90's but what's happening now is a whole lot different.

All this has been done with no input from members and no regard for how it affects people who have been members for 40 plus years. It's wrong, it's corrupt, and it's damaging our sport and as long as we all keep going to these races nothing will change. I have not been willing to quit, for a couple of reasons including a son who loves drag racing, but I have not attended a National event since 2008. It seems like other people have done the same thing. The sports national races, the points meets, and the national opens seem to still have pretty good fields, but the nationals have had diminished fields. Who ever thought you could get in Indy with one grade point?

Let them run their nationals with just the new cars and see what happens. I have talked to a lot of people in the past four years about this and almost everyone that races an older car is concerned and upset with the whole deal.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #39
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Re: GM Releases 2013 bogus HP ratings at PRI show

Bottom line is these "new " cars should be in a class of their own (kinda like IHRA did ) and then it would not effect the older cars period.....I am not here trying to promote IHRA ,,just stating an opinion ...Let the new cars beat each other up and hp will come soon enough........
Old 12-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #40
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts

Bottom line old cars don't sell new cars and new parts.
It's very easy to understand