HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
chris3racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Race car burnt at Motor Mile Dragway

When you have to go get your new seat belts, helmet and all of the other safety equipment you might think about this.

A fellow Mopar racer was at Motor Mile Dragway and his car caught fire at the end of the track. (See video on MOPARTS) In the video the people at the starting line have let the next pair of cars do a burn out while the spectators are yelling to the starting line crew about the smoke at the top end. The video shows the car burning and a "fire truck" sitting at the return road. First there was no firefighters with the truck. The truck would not crank and the track personnel tells him there is no water in it. The man's car burns completely up because the track personnel tell him they do not have money to pay for safety equipment and personnel.

We pay all of the fees and throw away brand new equipment because the date has run out. Considering who owns this track this is a shame.
chris3racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Bobby Zlatkin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Race car burnt at Motor Mile Dragway

That is incredible. No excuse.,
Old 09-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Unhappy Re: Race car burnt at Motor Mile Dragway

That totally sucks, I guess we all should carry a fire extinguisher in the race car just in case. When I teched in last Saturday the tech guy informed me my M2000 helmet will be done at the end of this year. There goes another $150 for no reason.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip marvetz View Post
That totally sucks, I guess we all should carry a fire extinguisher in the race car just in case. When I teched in last Saturday the tech guy informed me my M2000 helmet will be done at the end of this year. There goes another $150 for no reason.
From what I'm reading a fire extinguisher wouldn't mean squat.He seems to have been trapped in the car.
That ***** hole of a track should be closed and the staff prosecuted to the full extent of the law if the emergency crew was that inept and the equipment useless.
Phil,don't you think you life is worth a lousey $150?After all a Snell/M 2000 has been in use for a long time.
I had a tech guy tell me a few years ago,when he saw my helmet was a Snell
certified helmet that he was amazed how many guys with fast cars still cheap out and use M helmets.I don't know if there's a real difference.I know you pay more for a Snell approved one.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I put a fire extinguisher in mine when IHRA started requiring them a few years ago. An NHRA tech guy told me I needed to take it out, that if I could get it out quickly it could come loose if I ever flipped the car and it would beat the crap out of me (just clothes to burn if that ever happened). So, IHRA I put it in, NHRA I put it in the trailer. What he told me makes sense, best to have permanently mounted fire bottles and plumbing. I don't.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
chris3racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Re: Race car burnt at Motor Mile Dragway

Ed, fortunately he was not trapped in the car; however, if the useless "fire truck" had been operational he might not have lost his whole car. My point is NHRA, IHRA, etc makes us meet all of these safety rule; however, a track can get by with no safety equipment or personnel.
chris3racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
From what I'm reading a fire extinguisher wouldn't mean squat.He seems to have been trapped in the car.
That ***** hole of a track should be closed and the staff prosecuted to the full extent of the law if the emergency crew was that inept and the equipment useless.
Phil,don't you think you life is worth a lousey $150?After all a Snell/M 2000 has been in use for a long time.
I had a tech guy tell me a few years ago,when he saw my helmet was a Snell
certified helmet that he was amazed how many guys with fast cars still cheap out and use M helmets.I don't know if there's a real difference.I know you pay more for a Snell approved one.
Ed - The "M" class helmets are Snell approved, just a different classification. Although the "SA" class is designed for auto racing, the "M" is also accepted by NHRA. This is from the Snell website:

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?

The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

1.The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
2.The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
3.The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
SSDA Hemi

Liked 428 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3racing View Post
Considering who owns this track this is a shame.
Who owns that track?

Here is a link to the video
Old 09-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
goinbroke2

Liked 173 Times in 59 Posts

They would of hauled me off to jail because I would've started with the first mother****ing track official and not stopped beating until either the cops showed up or they were all dead.
LAWSUIT!!!!!
Braindead asshole sitting in the firetruck? AN EMPTY TRUCK????
Let me guess, only bandaids in the ambulance because they couldn't afford the defibulator or oxygen?

Again, LAWSUIT!!!
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Stick Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDA Hemi View Post
Who owns that track?

Here is a link to the video
I think it's Shelor Motor mile or something like that owns that track. They are a dealership around Radford Va. that sells about every type car and truck made, american and foreign.
If my memory serves me right, they also sponsored a Pro Stock car not too long ago.

Andy Stone 1102 A/S 1112 SS/C
Stick Racing is offline   Reply With Quote