Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #31
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,035 Times in 271 Posts
Default Re: Factory experimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
An excellent 427 will make about 640 Horsepower tops.
Yes, I'd call that excellent. A goal to pursue, at the very least!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #32
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts

Bill, I`ve always felt that the forced induction car should be limited to factory boost levels. Like Jeff said (and he used to run a Turbo FWD Stocker), whenever this subject was brought up in the past, it usually ended up with the Turbo FWD crying "No Fair", because turbo`s are inconsistent, or FWD cars don`t have many gear ratios to choose from, or how FWD cars are tricky to hook up, but then they brag about taking a bone stock turbo FWD car and running 1 1/2 seconds under for virtually no expense.Personally, the sealed pre set wastegate on a turbo or blowoff valve on a supercharged engine only seems fair.

Fred, I have heard the stories about NHRA Tech officials riding along with the blown 312 Fords way back when. By the way, Larry Walkers old 57 blown 312 car is still around. It`s been up here in Western Canada since the early 70`s, and is scheduled to come back out this year, after being in storage since about 1975.
One thing that I do find odd about the new Cobra Jet is that according to Georges post, it appears that NHRA knocked 75 HP from the 500 HP rating. That could be interesting! But hasn`t NHRA often "adjusted" factory HP ratings, both up & down? Like I said before, Pomona should be interesting! Seeing Jim Waldo back in a Ford is great, even if it is an automatic (for now!?)
Old 01-15-2009, 10:45 PM   #33
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Rory said, "Personally, the sealed pre-set wastegate on a turbo or blowoff valve on a supercharged engine only seems fair."

In the lengthy discussion I had with owners'-drivers of turbo Stockers, I learned a few things. I learned, for instance, that with certain LEGAL engine modifications (such as a legal cam swap, the installation of headers to better supply the turbo with exhaust gas, and a superior spark advance curve, etc.,) BOOST can increase well beyond factory levels.

Now, I'm not talking out both sides of my mouth here, but we do need to be fair about this. If a turbo car has the option of changing cams, headers, etc, (like a normally-aspirated car,) and in the process, it causes the boost level to go up due to more air passing through the engine, how would it be fair to deny them that additional boost, if they came by it the same way a normally-aspirated car comes by the additional horsepower it accrues with the addition of headers, a better cam. etc.????

It's not going to be easy to answer that... But....what's good for the goose, etc...

Insofar as requiring "a sealed pre-set wastegate on a turbo or blowoff valve on a supercharged engine," IF something like that were ever to be done, wouldn't a tell-tale boost gauge to be read by the tech who does the fuel check and weighs the car after every run be a lot simpler and cheaper? He would have in his possession, a boost specification provided by the NHRA tech dept. that would represent the allowable psi for that particular engine, and when the car comes in for its fuel check and to be weighed, the tech would simply look at his chart for the car, and if the tell-tale gauge needle is stuck at a number beyond the chart spec, then that car cannot compete any more at that race. Just like if the fuel won't check, or the car's too light...

A tell-tale boost gauge is a lot cheaper and easier to install than a dedicated wastegate or blowoff valve, don't you think? Only needs one small piece of tubing...

Bill

Last edited by bill dedman; 01-16-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #34
Chuck Beach

Liked 59 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Beach

Now this post is funny ... just because it is not your brand some of you complain and whine. Let's talk about cars that came out under rated ... the 305 hp LT1 Firebird and Camaro was rated at 275 ... what a joke, you could run a second under at that HP before you did anything to the motor. Then there was the LS1 which was rated at 335 but NHRA at 305. Another joke, I know a guy that just put a cam, headers, a gear and a set of tires on that combo and went 1.10 under at Indy. Now if this was a new Camaro you guys would think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread ... Give these cars a chance before you bash them, maybe you guys should build one ...

Last edited by Chuck Beach; 01-16-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #35
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Probably the best way for us to deal with the new After Market Super Stock cars running in Stock is to simply take up a collection and make nhra a better offer. So, all we have to do is find out how much it cost Ford and Chrysler to place these cars in Stock. Then we just have to raise more money and go pay the nhra. I'm sure it really is just that simple.

Well, maybe this would be a short term fix because Ford and Chrysler would then come back with a better offer and we would lose all our money.

And I wonder about the racers who are going to race these cars in Stock. I wonder what they are thinking. Do they see this as a fair deal for the Stock Category? Now they have these great big cannons to race against a bunch of racers with pistols. This really is a new day for Stock. This is not part of a cycle. It is a major reset.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #36
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

The biggest problem I see is that these are not street legal cars. These are purpose built race cars with bogus shipping weights and in the case of Ford an engine that doesn't come in a street legal car. Of course with Ford that's not a new thing. Chuck, if these cars were in your class and could run 2 seconds under the index you would be whining and complaining too.

Greg
Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #37
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,785 Times in 1,523 Posts

Who are you and what have you done with the REAL Bruce Noland? I've been bitching for years about all of the exotic new stuff finding its way into Stock and making it harder for the guys racing real cars to compete and the REAL Bruce has been telling me that I'm crazy and Stock has to change or it will die! Seems to me that change is making this person (whoever he really is) a little itchy. Again, welcome to MY world.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #38
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Billy,

I know you live in a very mysterious world. But I don't remember ever saying the things you just brought up.

But do we now agree?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #39
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,785 Times in 1,523 Posts

100%

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #40
Chuck Beach

Liked 59 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Beach

Greg,
The LT1 and the LS1 were both in my class and I got my ***** handed to me lots of times until they put them in their own class ... and now they are back, but don't fit in my class anymore ...
Closed Thread