HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 10-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts
Default Race Belts

Everyone dislikes replacing their belts every two years including me. I seem to remember when NHRA started this policy that someone or a manufacturer claimed that only after 2 hours of direct sunlight ( uv rays ) that the strength factor is reduced by 70 to 80%. Now I would think that SEMA would be the testing org. Anybody got test results to validate ?
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts
Default Re: Race Belts

Go to Schroth seat belts website ---totally explains in detail the difference between FIA and SFI certified belts---the different SFI ratings (16.1-16.5-16.6)for each belt and the problems with material degradation by the elements (water/sunlight/dirt/oil) and that by 30 months after the manufacture the material in the belt has lost 75% of its ability to do the job thus the 24 month /2 year time line that should be followed--bottom line is the "may look good" but SFI testing standards has proven that the belt material can no longer meet the testing guidelines--depending on the manufacturer of the "belt" and the SFI rating it is possible the belt may be re-webbed while in others the entire belt as well as all hardware must be replaced completely --NO RE WEBBING -- FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
Dave Gantz

Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts

I've seen all of that information about deterioration before. Assuming all of that is true, how come street cars don't need new belts every two years? I wonder if there is any data showing regular every day seatbelts coming apart in an accident?
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gantz View Post
I've seen all of that information about deterioration before. Assuming all of that is true, how come street cars don't need new belts every two years? I wonder if there is any data showing regular every day seatbelts coming apart in an accident?
I have often wondered that myself. If the OE belt material is better or lasts longer or ?
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
I have often wondered that myself. If the OE belt material is better or lasts longer or ?
From a racer's observation of the rule book, apparently OEM seat belts last longer and are safer than 2 year old aftermarket ones.

With that said, I wonder why the aftermarket seat belt companies just don't make their belts out of the same material as the OEM do ?
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
Chevy55

Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts

It's my understanding that the reason for the two year rule is because of the way the NHRA rule is written. I believe that the NHRA is legally responsible for belt deterioration and NASCAR with their rule is not.

I could be wrong but I read an article about it a few years ago, doubt if I could find it now! LOL
Chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:20 PM   #7
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

I thought NHRA was going to review the rule a few years ago,and maybe change it to three years.Just look at how many belts are available nowadays.Gotta feed SEMA!... gsa612
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
Just guessing here, but could it be that OE belts use polyester rather than nylon webbing?
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #9
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

one of the main reasons that NHRA mandates 2 years on seat belt is that SFI will not accept any responsibility whatsoever --what ever that means -- if the belt used fails and is more than 24 months old AND has a SFI label on it--- their(SFI) testing says that after approaching 30 months the materials used in the belt webbing has seriously started to degrade and is not at the same certification level as when it was manufactured and they recommend the webbing/belt be replaced---so NHRA follows the SFI guidelines --whether NHRA wants to or not makes no difference they are "forced" into accepting these(SFI) guidelines-- its a safety issue both by NHRA and SFI-- the end user (racer) uses the product as it is certified if you(racer) use the product contrary to the terms of certification then the certification is VOID--it isn't just about NHRA many forms of motorsports have requirements about replacing eat belts/harness at regular intervals ---you want to race you follow the guidelines/rules of the organization--- you don't want to adhere to the rules you do not get to race--FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #10
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Its a crock....

Nylon straps are used in a zillion applications from tie downs to lifting straps and they certainly degrade from abrasion and use but not from just sitting unused.

Racecars sit in garages and trailers and there is no way you will convince me the belts degrade the amount mentioned. Ludicrous....

If the strap or belt material is not cut or badly abrasion damaged, it will do the job....