HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition

Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
JCQuinn

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Modified questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM5595 View Post
I have the part about needing to be a Ford or Ford Racing part confirmed. I am now trying to find any information about the Ford Racing M-6049-V351 head. It shows it is available but gives no information about it. Any insights?

Thanks, Jay
When I asked they said the N351 was legal but there was no V351 in the catalog at that time. What is the V351 head? Is it a cast iron or an aluminum head.

I think the N351 head would be very good for a class requiring cast iron, it doesn't show the flow numbers of some other heads but makes horsepower beyond the flow numbers.

In classes using aluminum heads the Z304 can make some good HP.
JCQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:48 AM   #12
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

The V head if Im not mistaken is AL while the N head is cast iron----Also the V head is made for Ford BY EDELBROCK it is part of their Victor series of heads--- Kinda hush hush on the specs but they do move a lot of air and will really pick up an engine HP wise--For furthur info/ordering/availability etc call RDI@ 888-360-7223----------Comp 387
FED 387 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #13
RPM5595

Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts

Yeah, I called Ford "Race Parts" and talked to a real pleasant fellow, not. Anyway, this guy would just about tell me nothing about the V351 heads except that they were of a "proprietery" design. He said they were a 15* valve angle, 47 cc chamber, and the ports are unfinished. He said that a pair done "correctly" would flow as good as Yates heads. As I have worked on some used Nascar Yates heads for some of my customers I asked him for a idea of what kind of flow numbers he was referencing because the Yates heads can flow dramatically different depending on which style you have. He acted like I had insulted him and said that would depend on who ported them. Duh. I asked him if they were like the Edelbrock Victor "Pro Port" heads and all he said was I could get all the parts for the heads from Jesel and thanks for calling. Click. What a jackass. So, I guess at this point if I decide to use aluminum heads I will probably go with the better flowing Yates stuff. The iron N351's are definately a good head for iron though and that may be the smarter combination, and slightly less expensive. I fully understand flow numbers are not the most important quality in a head but it does give a reference to go with. So, what kind of flow numbers has anyone seen from a set of ported N351's? Thanks for the interest.
Jay
RPM5595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #14
RPM5595

Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts
Talking Re: Modified questions

Hi fellas, me again! I am still knocking around this Modified plan and I have a question I'm hoping someone can/will answer. I am thinking about running in SS/CS which as discussed earlier is a cast iron head class. This leaves me with only one head choice,the N351. Just to make sure we are on the same page, I am an engine builder and I do have a flow bench,(dry flow), but as for knowing what I'm up against in this class I have not much of a clue other than it costs alot of money to be fast. My first question is, keeping in mind that I realize the flow numbers are not always the answer, if I could get a N351 head to flow somewhere around 310cfm Intake@.800" and 240cfm exhaust @.800" WITH a good fat curve on the way up will I even be close to the GM and Mopar heads? I realize this is a general question about head flow but at this point it is the only way I know of to get any idea of what I would be up against. I have no illusions at this point of being a "killer" in the class but I also have better things to do than bring the proverbial "knife to a gunfight". Any advice is appreciated as always.

Thanks,
Jay Roeder
RPM5595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #15
M S Watchdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

n351

Last edited by M S Watchdog; 02-19-2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Cancel message
M S Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #16
71mavlouisville

Liked 28 Times in 1 Post

I run the N351 in ss/cs. There are 2 other fords in the class, Venice Perno with a Thunderbird and Jamie Groves with a Maverick they are both from Ontario, Canada. I run out of Div 4. You can be competitive with that head. The class is dominated by David Bogner (Mopar) and Michael Mans (Chevrolet) and the record is a 9.37. All of the Fords have been in the 9.90's. Most of the ford guys will give you any help you need and we would love to see another ford in the class. e-mail me ashmig@verizon.net Ashton Hudson SS/CS 373
71mavlouisville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:22 PM   #17
Pat Hennebery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jay,
I will be running a SS/CS 67' Nova next season and the cast iron bowtie heads on my engine flow about 295 cfm.
Pat Hennebery Jr.
Pat Hennebery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #18
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hennebery View Post
Jay,
I will be running a SS/CS 67' Nova next season and the cast iron bowtie heads on my engine flow about 295 cfm.
Pat Hennebery Jr.
Pat,

What happened to the four-cylinder Camaro Stocker?
david ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #19
Kevin Grasson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71mavlouisville View Post
I run the N351 in ss/cs. There are 2 other fords in the class, Venice Perno with a Thunderbird and Jamie Groves with a Maverick they are both from Ontario, Canada. I run out of Div 4. You can be competitive with that head. The class is dominated by David Bogner (Mopar) and Michael Mans (Chevrolet) and the record is a 9.37. All of the Fords have been in the 9.90's. Most of the ford guys will give you any help you need and we would love to see another ford in the class. e-mail me ashmig@verizon.net Ashton Hudson SS/CS 373
What is bogner using for a motor? w8 or p7..is the p7 legal?

Last edited by Kevin Grasson; 01-24-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Kevin Grasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #20
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Grasson View Post
What is bogner using for a motor? w8 or p7..is the p7 legal?
Kevin,

SS/CS requires cast iron heads, Bogner runs W2 heads although I don't know what flavor.

Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote