Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 10-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #21
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,419 Times in 1,683 Posts
Default Re: Weight box options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
My rule book says: Removable weight must be securely mounted to the frame or frame structure by a minimum of two 1/2" diameter steel bolts per 100 lbs, or one 3/8" steel bolt per 5 lbs, all other weight bars, pucks, etc. must use 1/2" diameter SAE grade 8 bolts for attachment. Every Comp car or Pro Stocker has multiple places to bolt weight in and the nut has no weld.
Okay. Is that under general regs.? What does it say under S/SS?
Not a safety rule ,per se, but the idea is so that one couldn't easily pull out a bunch of weight for qualifying, etc. ,as I recall.
I realize that Comp cars put weight in all over the place, hose clamps and all, but we are discussing a Stock Eliminator car here.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #22
Mike Merk

Liked 62 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Okay. Is that under general regs.? What does it say under S/SS?
Not a safety rule ,per se, but the idea is so that one couldn't easily pull out a bunch of weight for qualifying, etc. ,as I recall.
I realize that Comp cars put weight in all over the place, hose clamps and all, but we are discussing a Stock Eliminator car here.

BALLAST
Weight box permitted. Only 100 pounds removable ballast permitted, including box (two-box maximum with 50 pounds each). Must be attached to frame or crossmember with minimum of two 1/2-inch bolts. May not be attached to roll bar or cage. Additional ballast must be permanently attached to frame or crossmember, i.e., bolted with at least two 1/2-inch bolts per 100 pounds, with nut welded to bolt. See WEIGHT. See General Regulations 4:2.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #23
Hacksaw

Liked 272 Times in 149 Posts

There are two types of ballast to consider here. Permanent and removable. If you need to add more than 100 lbs total, then any weight other than that 100 lbs is considered permanent and the nuts are to be welded. Now you can use a box or bolts to secure the removable ballast, up to a 100 lbs.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #24
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
There are two types of ballast to consider here. Permanent and removable. If you need to add more than 100 lbs total, then any weight other than that 100 lbs is considered permanent and the nuts are to be welded. Now you can use a box or bolts to secure the removable ballast, up to a 100 lbs.
Hmmm, you make a good point. It says weight box permitted, not required.
On the Monte, we have to empty the box and remove it from the vehicle in order to make the minimum. If we had 5 strips of steel instead, I don't see what difference it would make, except we'd have to crawl under the car every time we wanted to adjust + or - 20 lbs. Seems a lot easier to have a few T-bolts on the lid of the box.
Good luck with that , Hackie...In fact I'd probably argue your side in tech, if I wanted to do it the hard way ;-)
Old 10-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #25
Jim Caughlin

Liked 691 Times in 207 Posts

I do the stacked plate version for weight adjustments, I have two 1/2" studs protruding into the trunk and stack however many plates are needed. I've been to several decades of races and have never been told this is not legal. The only thing I have ever been told is that the total weight of the stack of plates needs to be 100# or less. If over that weight, the nuts need to be tack welded.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #26
Paul Merolla

Liked 230 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
I do the stacked plate version for weight adjustments, I have two 1/2" studs protruding into the trunk and stack however many plates are needed. I've been to several decades of races and have never been told this is not legal. The only thing I have ever been told is that the total weight of the stack of plates needs to be 100# or less. If over that weight, the nuts need to be tack welded.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Me too...except for the "several decades" part, haha. Each plate is 35 lbs in my case, and I'm planning to make a few smaller ones over the winter for fine-tuning.
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #27
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

All good ideas here.
I just like the box thing, where you can throw whatever you want in it in a pinch..Tools, chains, whatever.

I meant to post this earlier, but got side tracked.
I'm not what you call a bubblepak racer, so I build my own boxes. You don't need to be a super fabricator or welder either.
I'd just find a local steel supply in town that will sell "drops" and will shear stuff for you.
Figure out exactly what fits in your car. Lay it all out on paper, and then have your six pieces sheared. Butt each corner up and tack with your Mig on the inside of the seams. Square it up and run your beads on the inside of the box.
A couple of angle tabs facing in , with the 5/16 nuts welded underneath, and you've just about got it.
If you do it right , you won't even need to break out your H/F 5" grinder, this way.
You could be done before happy hour the same day, instead of waiting 2-3 for Buster Brown to show up ;-)