HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #11
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: belt drive fuel pump in SS

a rear mounted cell is completely acceptable the belt drive pump.

I have a bracket car that runs 5.75 with rear mounted cell and belt driven pump. I also know of others with same setup.

There may be a "g" launch number that becomes an issue.

However, I am specifically speaking of the Super 10 which will run low 10.'s ET
Old 11-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #12
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Like Adger explained, the fuel sample is always taken between the fuel tank/cell and carb/injection. All valve installations must be easily accessible and the reason why they are located in the engine compartment.

With the engine driven pump, please explain how you are going to take the sample with the engine running and nobody sitting in the car? I believe the rules requires a person in the seat every time the engine is running.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:01 AM   #13
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

There's a difference between opening the hood or the trunk? No need for anything to be running my way and it's away from hot headers. I could be shot down again I suppose. There is no external hood release on the Mustang nor on most late model cars...the key is always in the trunk lock in my cars.

Last edited by HandOverFist; 11-24-2014 at 12:13 AM.
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #14
Dragsinger
VIP Member

SSDiv6,

In my case I would either have a helper or take belt off and run pump with a drill.

Also, in the case of someone using a mechanical pump mounted with the original bolt holes, a helper could be in car a start engine for a few seconds to take a sample.

Doing the above would be safest with an extension on the drain valve to move any possible fuel splash away from under hood problems.

Considering the two above examples, the most safe would be the belt drive pump run with a drill with engine off.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:15 AM   #15
Dragsinger
VIP Member

just thinking, in the older days of fuel check and mechanical pumps how was the fuel sample taken?
Old 11-24-2014, 12:41 AM   #16
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 683 Times in 265 Posts

You only need a small cup of fuel. The pump inlet should be lower than the tank for normal head pressure. Those pumps don't make good suction pumps, but great pressure pumps. Put a T just south of the pump inlet and bring a line forward through the grill area. You should be able to drain, by gravity, enough from the pump and inlet lines to fill the sample cup. Or you might have to go north of the pump and drain the fuel that is above the pump in the feed lines to the carb. Whatever works... that is what I mean by creative plumbing.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:56 AM   #17
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Adger, you are correct. When disconnecting the suction line from a low mounted belt drive pump you must quickly raise the disconnected end above fuel cell level. Otherwise you have a large spill in short order.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #18
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragsinger View Post
SSDiv6,

In my case I would either have a helper or take belt off and run pump with a drill.

Also, in the case of someone using a mechanical pump mounted with the original bolt holes, a helper could be in car a start engine for a few seconds to take a sample.

Doing the above would be safest with an extension on the drain valve to move any possible fuel splash away from under hood problems.

Considering the two above examples, the most safe would be the belt drive pump run with a drill with engine off.
LOL! So you plan to have at least a crew of two; one to help you at the staging lanes and another to wait at the scales?
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #19
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I've been following this post, and I'm at a loss as to what is trying to be achieved here.With todays fuel pumps and regulators there is in my mind nothing that would make me even consider a belt driven fuel pump or a front mounted fuel cell. There are a few reasons I can think of not to run one, first how do you drain your fuel out after the race to put in a sealed container, next is the afore mentioned fuel check, adding a shut off, mounting the pump and the associated plumbing add to that that in the case there were a wreck and the car suffered severe frontal damage you have the making of a huge fire directly in front of you. Seems like a lot of work and hassle for a non existant problem. Of course a racer can do (within the rules) as they please I'm just at a loss as to why this would even be considered. Joe
Old 11-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #20
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

My guess is most of the negative comments about the subject is coming from those that have never run such a set-up. I have used one on a Hilborn injection unit and can say they work extremely well. I have also not heard a good argument against using a simple fuel valve on the cell for drawing samples...it fits the requirements as spelled out in the rules.