HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-29-2015, 10:50 PM   #1
Dean Feiock

Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Default Ring & Pinion Upgrades

R&P upgrades have come up in several threads recently. So my questions are:

What are the different treatments and who does them?

Are they worth the expense and why? Longevity? ET Gain?

Can they be done to used gears?

I haven't had the cover off mine in 9 years. I was thinking of pulling it down this winter as part of off season maintenance.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: Ring & Pinion Upgrades

I've had a couple of new ring & pinions cryo'ed and REM'ed. I haven't been able to do back-to-back comparisons, but my research convinced me that it is helpful. My current gears have lasted longer than expected.

I've only done it to new gear sets. I figure starting new will provide the most for the investment. But going on my differential guy's suggestion, I have him set them up before they get sent out for the treatments. According to him, it's much more difficult to read the pattern for set up when it comes back with a mirror-like finish. The process doesn't change clearances.

I use Evans Performance in Georgia. They explain the benefits better than I can.

http://www.evansperformance.com/home2.html
Old 10-31-2015, 02:03 PM   #3
Dean Feiock

Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Ring & Pinion Upgrades

Thanks Myron, that's the info I was looking for. Judging by the lack of response's, either no one is doing this or it's top secret.

I searched the forum for past threads and found Jim Bailey ran a company called Finished that did this. Is he not involved in this?

I also found a forum thread that spoke about Mikronite finishing but I gather they are out of business.

I also have found the REM must be a licensed brand and there are several businesses out there doing REM brand finish. Prices seem to vary allot from one vendor to another.

Anyone care to comment on ring gear lightening? I see Innovators West does REM and ring gear lightening. Is it worth $200 to shave 3 lbs off your ring gear?
Old 11-01-2015, 11:53 PM   #4
Dave Noll

Liked 219 Times in 105 Posts
Default Re: Ring & Pinion Upgrades

OK , I am not convinced that the REM process is a coating. I've got a used set of 5.43's that I took to dad's machine shop and lightened them myself ( went through a few CEM's but it is do-able ) and then tossed them in the tumble deburr machine with a fine grit & fine media and a couple days later they looked almost like chrome. Haven't got the chance to try them yet but am pleased with how they came out. He doesn't have the shop any more but I would love to do some similar work to some valves.