Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #31
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: Titanium Valves in SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
So.............. at what point in time do the "No Happy Racers" start doing what it will take to "Make Sportsman Racing Great Again"?
My money sez it'll never happen.

(that would make a great tee shirt!)
I agree that would make a great tee shirt.
Problem is, it is NHRA's world and we just race in it.
Racers, me included just want to race and compete and that is about all we can agree on. I am at the end of my racing career and just want to go have fun without all the hassles and the stress.
Like you Billy, I do not believe it will ever happen.
I am not sure how much longer the Sportsmen will be included at the National level as I feel we are just a distraction for NHRA at the National events now.
Just My 2 Cents
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #32
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,789 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63corvette View Post
I am not sure how much longer the Sportsmen will be included at the National level as I feel we are just a distraction for NHRA at the National events now.
We will be a "distraction" for as long as we(the Sportsman Racers) pre-pay for all of the expenses or until the board of directors can figure out how to get out from under their "not-for-profit" status and "sell" us off.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #33
charlie westcott

Liked 218 Times in 7 Posts

I had 2 of my customers tell me I was getting bashed on class racer. I dont really call that bashed, I am a little tougher than that. Thanks for the kind words from a few. Truth is, I havent looked at CR in a year. It seems like mostly complaining about non issues, not really sure what I had to do with Ti valves, but I will say, thats a dumb idea in my opinion. We blew up 6 motors in a year and a half because of broken intake valves. We went to the spintron, fixed it in like 2 days, and havent broke one since. Steve Comella put 100 runs on an engine last year, I put new valves in it. As far as my PS program, its sitting here. My work load has increased alot lately (thanks Mr President), and I dont have time for much right now. I bought a new DMG mill last year, and am trying to make money with that. I dont have a problem with people that enjoy spending countless hours on the internet, to each his own, but my interests are in making things, solving problems, and putting $$ in the bank.
later,
and remember, your keyboard is never going to bring you a trophy.
cw
charlie westcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #34
fredjohnston

Liked 55 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
When they refactored the aluminum head combination to 411 a few years back (that's 16HP over the iron head combination, which is a natural SS/D car), they allowed the aluminum head combination to move to SS/C, from SS/D.
When it was adjusted to 411 in 2013 the factor changed to 7.65 which made it a natural D car as you stated. This car hasn't been able to run SS/B legally since this change but yet continues to do so.. It's a SS/C, SS/D, SS/E only car.
fredjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #35
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

I had 2 of my customers tell me I was getting bashed on class racer. I dont really call that bashed, I am a little tougher than that. Thanks for the kind words from a few. Truth is, I havent looked at CR in a year. It seems like mostly complaining about non issues, not really sure what I had to do with Ti valves, but I will say, thats a dumb idea in my opinion. We blew up 6 motors in a year and a half because of broken intake valves. We went to the spintron, fixed it in like 2 days, and havent broke one since. Steve Comella put 100 runs on an engine last year, I put new valves in it. As far as my PS program, its sitting here. My work load has increased alot lately (thanks Mr President), and I dont have time for much right now. I bought a new DMG mill last year, and am trying to make money with that. I dont have a problem with people that enjoy spending countless hours on the internet, to each his own, but my interests are in making things, solving problems, and putting $$ in the bank.
later,
and remember, your keyboard is never going to bring you a trophy.
cw
My post was completely misinterpreted, but such is life. What I implied was that supposedly everybody gets 15 minutes of fame and that you've had yours. You're now below the radar, doing whatever you want to do, and in today's world, the names of celebrities (even in drag racing) get forgotten all of the time, sometimes in weeks. Christ, if that's "bashing", you've got some mighty sensitive customers. The part about liking you and admiring your skill and intelligence was also true, but unfortunately, that ship has sailed.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #36
BBF67

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
When they refactored the aluminum head combination to 411 a few years back (that's 16HP over the iron head combination, which is a natural SS/D car), they allowed the aluminum head combination to move to SS/C, from SS/D.
From the 2018 NHRA rulebook====NHRA-accepted aftermarket cylinder-heads carry a horsepower penalty that is calculated to the weight of the vehicle and does
not change the class of the vehicle.
BBF67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #37
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBF67 View Post
From the 2018 NHRA rulebook====NHRA-accepted aftermarket cylinder-heads carry a horsepower penalty that is calculated to the weight of the vehicle and does
not change the class of the vehicle.
The BB Corvettes had an aluminum head option. Always been there and it stands by itself. The head that they use is a GM head OR a GM REPLACEMENT head not an AFTERMARKET head.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #38
BBF67

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
The BB Corvettes had an aluminum head option. Always been there and it stands by itself. The head that they use is a GM head OR a GM REPLACEMENT head not an AFTERMARKET head.
Correct starting in 1967 with no penalty. Prior to that the GM or 401 aluminum head gets the horsepower penalty.

Where does the class guide show the 396 Corvette with a natural class of SS/C?
BBF67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #39
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBF67 View Post
Correct starting in 1967 with no penalty. Prior to that the GM or 401 aluminum head gets the horsepower penalty.

Where does the class guide show the 396 Corvette with a natural class of SS/C?
It doesn't. I didn't say that it did.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #40
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

I don’t think the 65 Corvette had an aluminum head option. Looking at the classification guide the aluminum head is listed as a replacement head and the weight break is 7.67. Hard to get to 6.5.