HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default NHRA tech rules; fuel line

Aeroquip makes a silicone fuel line that uses "push-on" fittings that utilize no clamps.

I believe it's called "Socketless" line/fittitngs, by Aeroquip.

I don't run at NHRA tracks (none in my state.) I built a fuel system for my car from a similar parts collection, with Gates hose (silicone outter) and, half-inch (#8 A-N) "push-on" (barbed) fittings. The hose and fittings came from GRT Race Cars, a local dirt track chassis builder with an impressive reputation. The salesman there told me that "push-on," non-metalic (Gates) hoses is all GRT uses, and that dirt track racing is the most demanding test a fuel system could be submitted to. He said that he's seen cars running around the race track, with the fuel cell having fallen outside the car, bouncing around on the ground, being dragged by this hose/fitting combination (unbeknownst to the driver,) and that eventually, the hose would pull apart before it would separate from the barbed fitting (with no clamp.)

What I am asking is: What is NHRA's ruling regarding this type of setup. I have read, elsewhere, that NHRA does not consider this to be "rubber" hose, but I'll believe that when I hear it from an NHRA TECH.

As I said, I don't run at NHRA strips right now, but that doesn't mean I won't, in the future.

As you all know, you can read ANYTHING on the Internet, so, I'm asking for information from a person with firsthand knowledge about this.

Any information will be appreciated.

Last edited by bill dedman; 12-11-2009 at 10:25 PM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:12 AM   #2
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Thumbs up Re: NHRA tech rules; fuel line

Bill,

to my experience, the parts you describe are completely legal for IHRA - NHRA . I used them on an F/SA build up, ran the full NHRA D 4 schedule, never a word said. The entire system, front to rear, was plumbed with that hose.

Several manufacturers are now selling the system, I specifically used Russell "Push Lock fittings" with "Gates LOL Plus hose." In addition, I double secured each connection with a Gates product called, "Power Bond Clamp" That clamp is a heat shrink product used in place of a clamp, Gates sells the Power Bond "sleeves"

Adding the Power Bold Clamp is simply personal preference and not needed for safe operation. I use it for two reasons, appearance and piece of mind.

Find a local parts store who sells Gates Products. Most likely the LOL Plus hose and Power Bond clamps will not be stocking items, however, both products will be in stock at the stores warehouse supplier.

I have several examples of each product if you would like to see photos. Send a PM with your email and if you want to see them.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: NHRA tech rules; fuel line

Bill,

both the IHRA & NHRA rule books contain a list of acceptable hoses, Gates LOL Plus hose is on that list.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks, Larry,

My system is already on the car and running. So far I have experienced zero problems with it, and I have a LOT of hose, clamps, and valves.

Send me an email at billdedman@hotmail.com and I'll send you some photos of the finished installation for your perusal. Maybe you can look this system over and, perhaps, offer some suggestions as to how I can improve it. I'm very new at this...

Thank you very much for all the good information; I appreciate it!!!
Old 12-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Deleted double post.... sorry.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Wink Re: NHRA tech rules; fuel line

that's what is on my car (the twist loc)...works great!
Old 12-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks, Greg; it saved me a lot of time....