HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-28-2017, 02:32 AM   #491
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Crate Motor Class

So you ran a 68 Camaro in Crate motor, and the engine is identical to a NHRA engine, other than the head castings? Piece of cake!! Lift up that cast iron intake manifold and QJet, replace your illegal heads with pair of easy to find GM castings, and away you go!!! Then you can play with all the other 350 68 Camaros in F,G, and H/SA. Good luck!
Old 11-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #492
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrateCamaro View Post
I hate to revive this post thats almost 8 years old but i have to comment for the lost racers of IHRA stock. Its unbelievable how we are treated like outcasts that live in the land of misfit toys. Im 37 years old....got involved in IHRA Stock in 2008. Built a crate motor because i liked the idea. Ran .5 under my first year and was so proud but i wanted more. Worked on it, spent the money, did the research, lots of dynoing. Fast forward to 2016. Set the H/CM record in the worst conditions possible. It was like i won the world series. Something ill hold and be proud of for the rest of my life. So no im not looking for a pat on the back or a hero biscut. But my question is how many people in the 25 to 35 age group are building a stocker? Second question...how many NHRA stock racers are in the age group of 60 and up? What im trying to say is without bringing the IHRA combos into NHRA what will happen in 10 years? 20 years. Its a dying sport already. We need to stick together and help eachother out here. Have a look at the latest Nitro Joes and see how many CM / Pure Stock / GT Stock racers there are and now have nowhere to race. Sure NHRA purists will say who cares but we are all in this for the same reasons....because we live and breathe stock eliminator. We love the class. And no...crate motors are not the same as circle track crate engines....the combos are IDENTICAL to a traditional stocker build, just has a different casting number on the head. Imagine if the tables were turned here. Im sure alot of you were around when modified had their cords cut...probably not that great of a feeling. This is not any different. And no going bracket racing (et1 and et2) isnt an option id rather park it. If we were to be accepted into NHRA (by the negative feedback stretching back to 2009 it will never happen) we would already have to be hit with 3 tenths off the index. Reset the HP factors and go. Theres zero to loose and everything to gain here. And all kidding aside we are less of a threat then the super charged entrys of todays factory hotrods which i believe should have their own deal personally. Just a thought fellas.

Concur !
FWIW I am gathering information focused on reviving the concepts of Pure Stock, Junior Stock and Crate Motor under one Class Structure.
If NHRA becomes interested can be merged into existing NHRA Classes Indexes.

One of the key elements developing rules are for the newer cars.
Would create a Bolt-On Class for Stock.
Reviving the Junior Stock for cars using the Blueprinted Cams.
Adding CM engines to add to the mix.
Use a Max Seat Pressure Spring Rule toning down the cam and add mufflers.

Cost effective, reliable, fun.
Classes that does not require fragile pitchy super high winding expensive Stocker Engine.
That was what Modified Production was suppose to be.

Looking at the 2066 and new generation aspirated cars like Chevy SS, Cudas, Darts, Mustangs, Caddys that have V-6's and V-8's.
Several racers were trying to get their late model combinations certified by IHRA before the boom.
Lot of Stocker guys had the new cars and wanted to race them in Pure Stock.
Got calls on it often.

The new cars and racers are the cornerstone of the future.
Flexibility of being able to use a larger engine in GT or easy to get CM helped IHRA a lot.

The new generation of kids are not going to build a $50,000 Stocker.
They will buy a new car add headers, gears, converter, slicks, tune.
Most are driveway mods and are racing then at the local tracks.
These Bolt On Classes were the rage when the LT1 Camaros and B-Bodys came out in the late 90's early 2000.

Another sources of cars are PureStockDrags.
Have been collaborating with some of the key members.

Crate Motor and GT were great ideas to extend Stock.
Loved the fact you can pop in a 455 in place of a 305 or 350.

Aftermarket industry loved the CM cars.
Now producing new Aluminum Replacement Heads based on original castings.
Stock Ports, Combustion chamber and screw in studs.

I see in the future a new rule coming allowing these Head Replacements and even intake manifolds for Stock.
Good original castings are scarce competing against the restoration industry.

One other thing and was a very true statement.
Most of us are well over 50, 60 and 70 years old.
In the next ten years most of us will be making other decisions.

Regardless if the new generation of racers are not invited they will look at other venues.
You have to market and sell to this generation or they will not come.

AND one day Class Racing will become a note in History Books.

D
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #493
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Tony (Cratemotor), many of us have to wonder why anybody would build a car that could only run with one association? Why would a person not simply build one that could run with anywhere?

NHRA has so many classes, and cars (compared to IHRA) that why would anybody want to add more classes?

And our hard working tech people have to keep up with even more combinations?

I have been doing this since 1962, and have now seen both AHRA & IHRA come and go. Both had some "unusual" classes.

Logical thing to do would build a car that could run anyplace. Not expect others to make new rules to accommodate your poor choices.

You can't just make your car a legal Stocker?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #494
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	notagain.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	43751  
Old 11-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #495
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
Cost effective, reliable, fun.
Classes that does not require fragile pitchy super high winding expensive Stocker Engine.
Dan! I think you nailed it! I've got to start spinning the guts out of my stuff and paying more for it! I'm just having too much fun.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #496
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
The new generation of kids are not going to build a $50,000 Stocker.
They will buy a new car add headers, gears, converter, slicks, tune.
Sadly, no they won't.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #497
Mike Gray

Liked 498 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Logical thing to do would build a car that could run anyplace. Not expect others to make new rules to accommodate your poor choices.

You can't just make your car a legal Stocker?
^^^
My new stocker (older car) AA, A or B/A car is being built with an eye toward other classes if I don't want to run in stock only. It can go S/ST, NE, D-gas, brackets etc. and can be easily made street legal. Yea it's going to cost about 50K but that's probably less than a new car (Corvette, Mustang, Challenger) would set you back.
Mike Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #498
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Sadly, no they won't.
Nope. The next generation of kids are spending half that, to race for twice as much.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #499
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Crate Motor Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrateCamaro View Post
I hate to revive this post thats almost 8 years old but i have to comment for the lost racers of IHRA stock. Its unbelievable how we are treated like outcasts that live in the land of misfit toys. Im 37 years old....got involved in IHRA Stock in 2008. Built a crate motor because i liked the idea. Ran .5 under my first year and was so proud but i wanted more. Worked on it, spent the money, did the research, lots of dynoing. Fast forward to 2016. Set the H/CM record in the worst conditions possible. It was like i won the world series. Something ill hold and be proud of for the rest of my life. So no im not looking for a pat on the back or a hero biscut. But my question is how many people in the 25 to 35 age group are building a stocker? Second question...how many NHRA stock racers are in the age group of 60 and up? What im trying to say is without bringing the IHRA combos into NHRA what will happen in 10 years? 20 years. Its a dying sport already. We need to stick together and help eachother out here. Have a look at the latest Nitro Joes and see how many CM / Pure Stock / GT Stock racers there are and now have nowhere to race. Sure NHRA purists will say who cares but we are all in this for the same reasons....because we live and breathe stock eliminator. We love the class. And no...crate motors are not the same as circle track crate engines....the combos are IDENTICAL to a traditional stocker build, just has a different casting number on the head. Imagine if the tables were turned here. Im sure alot of you were around when modified had their cords cut...probably not that great of a feeling. This is not any different. And no going bracket racing (et1 and et2) isnt an option id rather park it. If we were to be accepted into NHRA (by the negative feedback stretching back to 2009 it will never happen) we would already have to be hit with 3 tenths off the index. Reset the HP factors and go. Theres zero to loose and everything to gain here. And all kidding aside we are less of a threat then the super charged entrys of todays factory hotrods which i believe should have their own deal personally. Just a thought fellas.
X2 And I have seen your car run @ TMP a few years ago, as much fun to watch as the NHRA stockers that I cherish.
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #500
CrateCamaro

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
So you ran a 68 Camaro in Crate motor, and the engine is identical to a NHRA engine, other than the head castings? Piece of cake!! Lift up that cast iron intake manifold and QJet, replace your illegal heads with pair of easy to find GM castings, and away you go!!! Then you can play with all the other 350 68 Camaros in F,G, and H/SA. Good luck!
Their isnt a legal camel back head out there that will outflow a bone stock 350 vortec off a pickup truck. Having said that the compairable engine that you discribe for my car is a 295hp combo....i naturally carry 330hp factory rated and at one point is was 340....settling down currently at 334hp. The step backwards without having exotic backwoods wichcraft heads and intake would be staggering. Sure there is guys out there that run fast with that combo however i really didnt want to have to start all over again.
CrateCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote