HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #91
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Default Re: Crate Motor Class

i run superstock once or twice a year if trying to set a record. otherwise i stay home and run local. www.headsup-racing.com. does not matter to me if they let monster trucks in. it is just a glorified bracket race.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #92
Chuck Beach

Liked 59 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Beach
Smile Re: Crate Motor Class

I thought NHRA was trying to cut the number of classes in stock and super stock (and according to Dick Butler have more heads up races - which by the way I like) not add to them. Doesn't IHRA have around 150 stock classes: stock, crate motor, GT, pure stock (whatever that means), GT with mufflers, etc. There was a discussion about the number of NHRA stock and super stock classes on this forum several times. Too many, don't need anymore. It has already gotten to the point where a class win doesn't pay much because of too many classes. Too many single runs for class. Good point(s) Mike, but let's face it, why even have stock or super stock if it is all about 'shoe polish' dial in? If it's just a glorified bracket race why even have any rules? Why have stock or super stock class run offs? Because it's all about performance !!! That's why must of us got into stock and super stock in the first place. Today some people are trying to change the concept of stock and super stock, but I am in it today for the same reason I got into it 30 yrs ago .. the challenge of running the best cars in the country in my class and winning ... period ...
Old 01-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #93
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Wink Re: Crate Motor Class

Ken,

I really beg to disagree with you... I missed my first Rockingham race in 8 years last fall ...
I have been racing IHRA for 15 years, please don't put words in my mouth.. Yes, I do feel crate motors have soft HP factors, thats not only my feelings but many racers...
Ken, other than Top Stock years ago I haven't seen your name on any sheets for a while? You are the one who is trying to stir this up... Leave crates with IHRA and buy or build an NHRA car so you can come play with all of us....If you are planning on buying or building a new stocker, why wouldn't you build an NHRA car where you could run both ??? Don't tell me its about the money, cause a good crate motor isn't cheap either, but they are fast... If you want to run NHRA ,buy or build a car that fits the rules, don't try to change the rules to fit the car you have... You all are trying to make this a bigger thing than it really is, race by the rules !!! I have enjoyed running both NHRA & IHRA, but there are things about both that I don't like... So we all have CHOICES use them... Nobody is forcing anyone to race either NHRA or IHRA class racing .... There are rules in place don't try to change them, live with them or don't show up..... Also don't think that everyone spends 15-20 k on engines, thats exactly what they want you to think ?

Mike, sorry I still think they are soft, but you are right its only a bracket race with rules...I am like you and like to run both NHRA & IHRA....I think we have beat this to death, leave crates with IHRA and have a good 2009 race season.... Come on spring time.........
Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #94
Brandon Peterson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Talking with a higher up in NHRA they are looking at Crate Motor's.
With car counts being down, this will help fill alot of fields".......im not sure if you read this bun in ken's defence he just staited what he had heard from a higher up in NHRA......and why does it really matter if Ken hasn't raced in awhile...he still a racer and has opinions
Brandon Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #95
tpoh815

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

Dave R good post and fair too. I certainly agree with buff daddy as well. Still in all, it is what it is!

Last edited by tpoh815; 01-09-2009 at 06:34 PM.
tpoh815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #96
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Peterson View Post
"Talking with a higher up in NHRA they are looking at Crate Motor's.
With car counts being down, this will help fill alot of fields".....
I have NO idea whether anybody actually talked with NHRA officials,but from a business standpoint,it makes sense.I just read that the WWE laid off 10% of their workforce.Who really knows how bad of financial shape the NHRA is in or could be in soon?Maybe somebody figured out that they could get a lot more revenue in memberships and entry fees if they allowed crate motors into Stock Eliminator.They have taken other traditional IHRA classes before.
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #97
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: Crate Motor Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ribeiro View Post
Ken,

Don't tell me its about the money, cause a good crate motor isn't cheap either, but they are fast... I have enjoyed running both NHRA & IHRA, but there are things about both that I don't like... So we all have CHOICES use them... Nobody is forcing anyone to race either NHRA or IHRA class racing .... There are rules in place don't try to change them, live with them or don't show up..... Also don't think that everyone spends 15-20 k on engines, thats exactly what they want you to think ?

Mike, sorry I still think they are soft, but you are right its only a bracket race with rules...I am like you and like to run both NHRA & IHRA....I think we have beat this to death, leave crates with IHRA and have a good 2009 race season.... Come on spring time.........
Dave.....sorry to edit some of your post but you have the right idea. Race where you want. There is NO changing some of these guys minds. You guys can blame me for the "Crate Motor" classes but at the time I introduced it to IHRA the IHRA stock eliminator was about to become extint. It was going away. Now its healthy and still around so some of the NHRA guys can have another choice if they so desire. MOST of the NHRA guys wouldnt cross the street to race with IHRA BEFORE this was started. It was second class for them. As far as $$$$ in some of these crate engines just ask who builds some of these really FAST crate engined cars what it costs. Yep....the same guys and engine shops who build the FAST NHRA cars and they use the same tricks (and more in some cases) and they cost just as much as the engines built for some of the guys who have just posted on this thread. I wont mention names but they know who they are. Mike is right....Its STILL a bracket race except for class or a heads up run. Most are spending BIG money to stroke thier EGO's. Dave is right....Its been beaten to death so as they say..........SHUT UP, STRAP IN, CUT A LIGHT and RACE. May the best man or woman win.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 01-09-2009 at 06:31 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #98
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Brandon,
I think you should read before you print.. I was responding to Ken saying I wasn't present at The Rock !!! I was also refering to racing on a budget comment he made in his post to me..
As I said before everyone has choices where to race....Ken made the comment about being at the races.. I have attended many IHRA races and will continue to do so..
As I have said before its still FUN... Lets leave it that way.. Everyone has opinions, we will never agree on everything... I was not the one who brought up missing races !!!! or ( budget) I am a budget racer and never look down at anyone....
Anyway good luck racing in 2009...............

Last edited by Dave Ribeiro; 01-09-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Dave Ribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #99
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Smile Re: Crate Motor Class

Terry,
Thanks , I couldn't agree with you more...Hopefully its still about having FUN & doing something we all love...There will always be racers who have and spend more $$$$$. thats a fact of life ... As we know they don't always Win....IHRA & NHRA gives all of us choices on where to race... There is no right or wrong here, its whats good for each racer..

Terry, you did save what was a GONE class in those days... How fast we all forget how it use to be...I also agree with what you did, crates brought back racers and kept things going... My only bitch is the HP factors " Thats it " You guys did what you had too and we are glad you did, even though we never talk about it... Thanks !!!!!

* Sorry, I had already posted before I saw your post.... We should be bitching about ****ty payouts, bad sponsors and lower entry fees.... Important thing is keep Racing alive,,,,
Old 01-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #100
Brandon Peterson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave you are absolutely right on what you said...to me it souded like you were saying his opinions didn't matter because he hasn't be on the racing scene in awhile...i understand nobody will ever agree on this subject.....i love racing IHRA and im glad you enjoy it as well..like i sadi awhile back in the post me and my dad are building a Super Stocker that could run both NHRA and IHRA and we know the cost in running the old style intakes and carbs we have been trying to figure up the best combo for our duster in ss/ka....and i would love to try NHRA out when it is done...my saying once again was i would have liked to bring my crate motor car and run stock when we did go to NHRA races.....i also would like to wish you a great 09 season as well and if you come to any NC IHRA races maybe well see each other...ill be the 6 foot 7 guy driving the little black mustang that was built for a 5'10 shorty which is my pops......it really is a sight to see me get in and out of...
Brandon Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote