HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 11-24-2017, 09:13 AM   #31
Chevy55

Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Default Re: Our Military - Their Race Cars

We can't forget Charlie Snyder, he was 20 yrs old when he was drafted, sent to Vietnam and assigned with the 101st Airborne and was killed a few months later on August 27, 1968.

Chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #32
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

Chevy55 your post is similar to my thinking about all of those who’s names are on all the memorials around the country, particularly the One in DC with 58,000+ names on it. Many were like others of us who grew up in the Muscle Car era. We were hooked on drag racing and once hooked you can never really unplug. Many never got to join our racing ranks, they were simply denied the opportunity because their country called upon them to write a blank check. I joined the Air Force in 1971 and soon found myself a medic in northern Thailand, supporting part of the “secret” war to the North. My personal story dims in comparison to those of you like Gary who still bear the scars or Jimmy who lost a brother but all of our stories combine in retelling that freedom is not free. All Americans should stand next to those memorials from time to time, we’d be a better nation for it.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:51 AM   #33
Chevy55

Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts

You're right Jim and welcome home brother.
I was one of the lucky ones, drafted, sent to Nam in '68, heavy equipment mechanic with a mechanized infantry unit up by the DMZ. and came home in one piece.
In my free time my mind wandered between my wife, race car and my job back home. Drag strips on Long Island were always packed and it was and exciting time to be alive.
Chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:55 PM   #34
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 458 Times in 173 Posts

Duplicate...oops

Last edited by SStockDart; 11-25-2017 at 12:14 AM.
SStockDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #35
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 458 Times in 173 Posts

In the 60's, when you got out of the service, ya got a new, fast car, as soon as you could make the payments. No one got married when they got out. No reason to....Did not need a draft deferment anymore.....so, spend money on cars and fast women. My purchase was a 69 Roadrunner, 383, air grabber, 4 speed, 391 sure grip. Still have the car and most original pieces. I bought the Roadrunner because everyone else was getting ss396 Chevelles and I wanted to be different and faster.
Like someone said, the draft was a good thing, we should still have it.. We will never see the draft again....too bad.

Jim, if you are referring to my "scars", thank you. I have PTSD and cancer as a result of my military service. No tears for me please.....I've raised a wonderful family......got my kids through braces and college. My oldest grandson just completed his Navy service and is in the Phoenix police academy. I've been a good husband, father, brother and grandfather......our Lord and Savior has surely blessed me. When my country called....I served the best that I could, made E5 with 13 months service and an honorable discharge. I have no regrets.

My friend and Stocker driver, Dwight Machelle from Las Vegas, was a Huey pilot and downed 4 times.

Last edited by SStockDart; 11-25-2017 at 12:36 AM.
SStockDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #36
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts

Gary Hansen, boy did you bring back memories. When I was in Vietnam I ordered a 1968 1/2 Plymouth Roadrunner to be delivered to Miami FL. Had a 383, 4 speed, 391 sure grip. Bought it for $3,400. Also bought a reel to reel tape deck, amplifier and huge speakers. Heck I also remember that you could go downtown Bien Hoa and buy a pack of Marlboro with filters that was pot for $5.00

Thank you again for all who have served our country.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #37
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

Yes indeed Gary, I was referring to your continuing health issues resulting from your service. I was one of the SS396 Chevelle crowd but “saw the light” later and switched over to a 68 Charger. In my case I’m very thankful for having the opportunity to serve, know it was what finally put my butt on the right path and met my wife of 42 years in the service. And thanks for sharing Dwight’s service , had a eerie experience 3 years ago while touring the excellent Evergreen Air and Space Museum in Oregon. Walked by a Huey on display and it brought back a lot of unpleasant memories. But such adversity is what makes us stronger, even in great loss there is something gained. I’m sure all veterans have such moments, I especially feel for those who never really overcame it all. God bless them all.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #38
Pete Lanciers

Liked 562 Times in 145 Posts

Thanks for this thread Ken! I'd like to remember the man who introduced me to Drag Racing back in the 60's Gus Puskas NED Div. 1 Drag Racer, Machinist extraordinaire and Vietnam Veteran.

Gus instilled in me a love of our sport so strong it survived it my 23 year Naval career as well as the 15 years of DoD support that followed my active duty retirement. With real no kidding retirement rapidly approaching I just recently purchased Greg Luneack's 73 Duster to return to the sport we love, bringing me full circle!

Thank you to all my Brothers & Sisters in Arms, and all of the rest of you for never forgetting!

Last edited by Pete Lanciers; 11-26-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Pete Lanciers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #39
Bruce Fulper

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

My Dad served in the Army Air Corp in China. Morse code operator. I still have his "bug" as they called them. My brother was headed to Korea when he got shingles and got sidelined. I'm a Viet Nam era vet. (1971) Our family certainly served our country. Mom? She stayed home. :-)

Last edited by Bruce Fulper; 11-26-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Bruce Fulper is offline   Reply With Quote