Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #21
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: Our Military - Their Race Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Ortiz View Post
I would also like to add, if any young man or woman comes out of high school and is really not sure of what to do with their lives, the military is a sure bet to be a better person overall. It is real, growing up fast, learning to take care of yourself and others, to take responsibility, to learn, to be a better person mentally and physically. It is an experience that changes you for the better. I encourage young people to join and be a big part in America's future. It is an adventure.

Ron Ortiz
U/SA proud to be an American.
I couldn't agree with you more, Ron! It's been my opinion for many years that some program of "compulsory National Service" be started and properly funded to allow ALL young people to get involved supporting our democracy. Everyone should be able to serve in some capacity; the Military, if they are qualified, for a short period of training and service would be a good place to start, as would any number of National and local service organizations that are dedicated to making America a better place to live. Creating a pool of pre-trained personnel would also be beneficial in any National emergency, and giving EVERYONE an opportunity to "share the load" would allow more people to understand what sacrifices a small group of our fellow American's now make for the rest of us.

It was an honor and a privilege to wear the uniform of our great military and serve our Nation. I followed in my Father's footsteps and enlisted in the U.S. Coast Guard in July, 1967. After 6-years and a short break-in-service, I joined an Army Reserve field artillery battalion in 1975 as a Track Vehicle Mechanic. I retired from Active Duty as a Transportation First Sergeant (E8) in 2008, with 38 years time-in-service. My race car commemorates that service, and honors the countless men and women who, past, present and in the future will be there when our Nation calls. "SPEARHEAD!".
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #22
Lee Valentine

Liked 322 Times in 68 Posts

I served in the Army 1966-68. As Ron Ortiz posted the military is a great career for young people, my daughter joined the Air Force the day after she graduated high school and served 23 years retiring as a master Sargent. She is only 43 and I m still working.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #23
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

I would like to add Pete Kost who still races in Division 6 Stock Eliminator.

Pete served in the US Army during WW II. He was member of the predecessor units to the US Army Special Forces hunting high value targets in Europe.

He was also a member of the US Army Boxing team that toured throughout the world entertaining the troops, and was the undefeated champ in his weight.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #24
Superfan1
VIP Member

Liked 2,344 Times in 409 Posts
Smile Re: Our Military - Their Race Cars

Even though I don't race now, many of you on this forum know me. I proudly served in the Navy from 1967 to 1971 on a nuclear submarine and 2 submarine rescue ships. Veterans Day always has been, and always will be, a very special day for me.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #25
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,006 Times in 1,223 Posts

Thanks so much for your comments, and of course your service. I finished the story on our veterans and service members that race. I don't write many stories, so forgive me if my grammar is not what it should be, but my sentiment and support are. Click story to read the article.

I hope all our veterans and service members have a Happy Thanksgiving, thank you so much for what you have done.

Story
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:41 PM   #26
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Miele View Post
Thanks so much for your comments, and of course your service. I finished the story on our veterans and service members that race. I don't write many stories, so forgive me if my grammar is not what it should be, but my sentiment and support are. Click story to read the article.

I hope all our veterans and service members have a Happy Thanksgiving, thank you so much for what you have done.

Story
Ken, I hit on story and get a blank page.

Ed
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:12 PM   #27
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

http://classracer.com/magazine/?p=6913
Old 11-22-2017, 11:37 PM   #28
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Nice story Ken and a huge thank you to all those guys again.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:53 PM   #29
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,006 Times in 1,223 Posts

Ed, the links works now. James, I just update the story with another vet. I will continue to update as the vet's send me info and photos.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:05 AM   #30
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Miele View Post
Ed, the links works now. James, I just update the story with another vet. I will continue to update as the vet's send me info and photos.
Thank you Ken. In the photos I sent I'm the one in the rear seat of the Jeep. The guy with the sniper rig was a guy from Georgia. I had to lug that thing with a 45 Lb. battery on my back on DMZ night stake out once. I only weighed 145 lb. at the time.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote