HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Garage Tech

Old 01-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Shop air compressor lines

Looks like Eastwood is getting a premium on their stock compared to the autobodymart kit. Thanks for the link, Frank.

Steve, good thread and pretty timely, too. I have been thinking about upgrading the garage utilities. A 100w light bulb doesn't cut it either. What college fund? I didn't see it...
Ronnie Smith Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:59 PM   #12
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

I thought I would post again about a lesson I learned today. I had to send my air dryer in to have it fixed from when it was damaged by the tornado. I guess for some dumb reason we used galvanised pipe from the compressor to the dryer and then black pipe in the rest of the shop. Well the galvanised coating has come off all of the inside of the pipe and is now inside the dryer and filters. No idea what its going to cost or how I ended up with galv pipe there but they called me to tell me not to do it again. They said if it was not for the dryer and filter all that crap would have been inside my tools making the snap on man happy for the rebuilding business. Just thought I would share and maybe save someone a headache and money
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
dragsterdoug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have schedule 40 PVC in my shop. I have not had any issues with it. It has been in for about 5 years. The only issue would be if I used a lot of volume for a good length of time, moisture would end up in your tools. Moisture condenses in the black pipe and then you can bleed it out. Again, I have not had issues with PVC>
dragsterdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
Frank Bennett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's a company out of the Carolinas that specializes in shop air lines and related equipment. Try googling "Prevost" and see what happens. I sell auto body shop supplies, and every time I need to upgrade a shop's air lines, I get in contact with them first. They have some really nice twist connectors to tie pieces of the piping together, or make some sort of a turn around a corner or to an air outlet. Check'em out!
Frank Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
There is also schedule 80 pvc pipe available. It is quite a bit thicker and has a higher pressure rating. This is available at most plumbing supply dealers. Schedule 80 pvc is a dark gray color. This would be a great choice for higher pressure applications.
We repiped our body shop about 10 years ago with schedule 80 pvc and had only one minor issue with a leak at a joint that was not primered before it was glued.
Shop line pressure is 150#.
I would never take a chance on schedule 40 using over 90 #
My own shop is piped in galvanized pipe and I've had no issues with rust,but I have several drop legs in the system with drains on them to eliminate condensation in the system.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #16
Brian Oakes

Liked 398 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Shop air compressor lines

Ok had to jump in on this one, Frank is right , the people in N.C that does the Prevost stuff is We Got Lifts, Google them, they did my Lift, Air Compressor That is realy Quiet and all my air line are Alum piping, very nice for sure, trust me i cost alot more than PVC. i think it was $11.00 a ft installed,i think the pipe alone is $50.00 a stick,than ya have to buy the coupler and fittings.exp.but nice. Prevost it very nice stuff. Brian
Brian Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #17
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,006 Times in 1,223 Posts

Hey Steve,

I can't believe I missed this thread, anyway I just upgrade my air lines. I have been meaning to finish my shop and never seem to find the time. I used the RapidAir system. It was very easy to install, but you will have to lay the tubing out in the sun to get it to straighten out. In can be tough to get a straight look.

Fortunately I ran mine behind the walls. I think for the money its is an excellent product, made in the USA. The have many different kits available for higher pressure. The system I used is rated 150 psi, more than enough for what I use it for. There are other systems that are similar, but are made in china, and the quality is not there.

I'm not a big fan of black pipe, I don't like the look, but it is the most economical.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #18
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks Ken and all who have posted, there is so much more than I even dreamed about. I am going to look harder at what and where I place my stuff before deciding. I do appreciate ALL who have had a comment and still appreciate any more in the future.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
Marine One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have about 75 feet of sched 40 PVC (2.5" diam) in my shop. It has been there for 10+ years without incident. I regulate the pressure to about 105 psi. Use good stuff, put some drop legs in with drain valves, etc.

Like everything - Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance. Learned that in the Corps
Old 07-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #20
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is not a worst material to use for compressed air then pvc. The stuff will hold shop air pressures but it doesn't take much of an impact to rupture like a gernade. Shrapnel everywhere. I know this for a fact. Use something else. Copper,steel,aluminum,dot air line anything but pvc. There are pvc like air rated pipe but it is very expensive and uses a special glue. The stuff we use where I work is blue. Its called dura-pipe.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote