HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 05-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #31
Shadylane

Liked 119 Times in 39 Posts
Default Re: Fairmont U/S Build AKA Craigslist Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Corley View Post
Cool build. Reading this, I have a question. Why would you want to run such a large tire on a low hp application? I am just comparing to the cars I have ran, (not stock eliminator). I have had consistent 1.29 - 1.30 60 ft times in the past on a 10.5 x 26 tire, with 600 hp and a 5 speed. I realize the 10" tire is not legal for stock, but just seems something under 9" and around 26" diameter would be more than sufficient, and free up some ET by not having to carry the extra tire down the track. I'm sure there is a reason most of the Stock Eliminator guys like the big tire, so that's why I'm asking.
To be honest not everyone in lower stock classes runs such a big tire. I talked with a guy that races in U/SA that uses a 26X8.5 and does just fine.

Another racer in the same class (same kind of car) uses a 30X9 and is really fast.

Here is my reasoning, right or wrong. The low gear in the transmission is 3:19. Even with soft lock clutches I may need the tire. There is a bigger selection of 9 inch tires especially in 29.5.

I could be all wrong on this and may end up using a smaller tire. Your right, common sense would tell you a smaller tire has less un-sprung weight and rotating weight.
Shadylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #32
Tony Corley

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadylane View Post
To be honest not everyone in lower stock classes runs such a big tire. I talked with a guy that races in U/SA that uses a 26X8.5 and does just fine.

Another racer in the same class (same kind of car) uses a 30X9 and is really fast.

Here is my reasoning, right or wrong. The low gear in the transmission is 3:19. Even with soft lock clutches I may need the tire. There is a bigger selection of 9 inch tires especially in 29.5.

I could be all wrong on this and may end up using a smaller tire. Your right, common sense would tell you a smaller tire has less un-sprung weight and rotating weight.
I guess the only way to know for certain is to try them all and see what works best, lol
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #33
Paul Wong

Liked 379 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadylane View Post

Let me just guarantee you're doing the right thing. If you can avoid it you don't want to hit a 26 tire at 6000 plus. If you need help just get in touch.
I have to get working on my new U/S combo as I have a feeling it's time for my belvedere to move to G/S.
Paul Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:55 AM   #34
Tony Corley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wong View Post
Let me just guarantee you're doing the right thing. If you can avoid it you don't want to hit a 26 tire at 6000 plus. If you need help just get in touch.
I have to get working on my new U/S combo as I have a feeling it's time for my belvedere to move to G/S.
Why not? Only asking because I've done it repeatedly in the past, with a 9 second, 3100 lb car and a non adjustable clutch, with no issues. So when I read statements like the one you made, I am curious as to why. Not trying to be a smartass, just seriously curious. I could possibly see the need for the larger tire on a leaf spring car with less suspension adjustability, but he's running a Fox body, which probably has the most suspension choices available for any car made in the last 50 years.Not to mention a decade of heads up, small tire, manal transmission testing in several NMRA classes to draw experience from. I think I personally would run the smaller tire, pick up the extra et, and use suspension, shock, and clutch settings to make it work.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:35 AM   #35
Paul Wong

Liked 379 Times in 72 Posts

I'm not trying to be some stocker mentality type but with less than half the horsepower you need all the help you can to make it consistent. It can work with the short tire and in this scenario with no rear gear selection that may be the case. These engines are not forgiving and using every forgiving part you can make them much more consistent. If it's just laying down big numbers is all you're after, index wise that is, then the short tire may be better. It is a lot of fun to go rounds and beat 8-10 second stockers with these eccentric rides.
Paul Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #36
Tony Corley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wong View Post
I'm not trying to be some stocker mentality type but with less than half the horsepower you need all the help you can to make it consistent. It can work with the short tire and in this scenario with no rear gear selection that may be the case. These engines are not forgiving and using every forgiving part you can make them much more consistent. If it's just laying down big numbers is all you're after, index wise that is, then the short tire may be better. It is a lot of fun to go rounds and beat 8-10 second stockers with these eccentric rides.
Ok, I can see that. I guess I look at everything with a heads up mentality, LOL. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #37
BLIND MULE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here ya go no trimming!

http://www.dragracetires.com/9-0-27-...ce-slicks.html
BLIND MULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #38
Shadylane

Liked 119 Times in 39 Posts

Got a little more stuff done this week.

Built a battery tray out of 1/8 aluminum in my welding class, put a little lip on it and some tabs to mount it to the body. Weighs a little more than the OE tray but it's much stronger. Turned out pretty good.

I've been scraping undercoating and seam sealer out of the rear fenderwells for a couple days now. Nasty job at best. Using a Bernzomatic to soften it up, then scraping with a putty knife. After I get most of it off I go over it with a stainless steel wire brush on my angle grinder.

I think the issue with the rear tire clearance will be resolved once I get the fenderwell lips folded up and add at least one inch clearance at the front and back of the wheel wells, as per the rule book you can go up to 2 inches.

Finally got the rear brake lines installed. I followed the old rear brake line which routes through the firewall of the passenger side of the car, down along the door sill then across to the driver’s side under the rear seat and exiting to the rear axle. I'm not sure I like the new (new to me anyway) brake lines made out of copper/nickel. It's easy to bend but it looks like it may be easy to dent and therefore pinch off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bat Tray 4.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	34001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Undercoating 1.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	34002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Undercoating 2.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	34003  

Name:	Fenderwell.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	34004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake lines 2.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	34005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake lines 1.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	34006  

Name:	Brake lines 3.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	34007  
Shadylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #39
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Eastwood makes a great tool to fold the inner rear fender lip, you could make the tool in your welding class.lol Nice project keep it up.CR
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #40
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

The guy I bought my Mustang off of had covered the floorboards with that stick-on foil sound deadener. I spent several days cooped up in my coupe with a torch and putty scraper, so I feel for you. Smelly, dirty stuff. And the metal under the passenger side was so rusted I had to cut it out and replace it.

Nice welding and fabrication. Glad to see someone tackling all aspects of race car conversion themselves.

I don't know what your paint plans are, but since I was going to strip and paint my car I used a torch and body hammer to roll my fender lips. That Eastwood tool is nice, but I already had the torch and hammer. Worked out OK. And don't believe those YouTube guys who say you can do it with a baseball bat...

Dale