Default Re: Flame away at this idea

Dave Crysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gay View Post
The original idea behind dial ins was so that two different performance level cars could race wide open. It didn’t take long for someone to figure out that all they had to do was beat the other car by the minimum margin, and they could win a lot of races. That is why I am proposing that NHRA run Stock and Super Stock 4 wide at the spring Charlotte race. With 4 cars, who do you sandbag? The second fastest car may be breaking out, too. The car that you are trying to “drive the stripe” against could be 3 lanes away from you. The race becomes more of a best package wins; dial your car close but honest, cut a light, and don’t let off.

This could be an exhibition, non-points race (so it doesn’t affect the national championship), but with full national event payout. 64 cars in each class only take 3 rounds to complete. Friday could be 2 time trials, Saturday would be 4 wide Class eliminations, and Sunday would be a round of 64 cars, a round of 16 cars, and a final with 4 cars. Imagine 4 Super Stock cars, all leaving the line at different times, wheels in the air, and converging on the finish line at virtually the same time. Seems like a good show to me.
Not a bad idea at all Greg, here are a few suggestions, that might make me go to that track again:

#1 Stock and Superstock HAVE to be pitted on the same side of the track, ie the paved side. Being told to drive across the back of the burnout box(while cars were competing by the way) and find my competitor for pairing is still entertaining to me yet troubling to me a couple years later! In retrospect, I should have done a top sportsman burnout all the way across in the gremlin.

#2 Lower letters get the outside lanes, higher letters get the two inside lanes. I think it would be a better visual for the fans to see the turtles in the middle, and the hares on the outside closing in for the kill.

#3 Since its a exhibition, might as well pair up all the world champs you can, I'd watch Fletcher verus Biondo versus Zane versus Worner.

Assuming the software and hardware can handle 4 dial ins, etc.

I'm liking it more and more. Lets face it, who honestly likes national events more than national opens and divisionals?

Eric
Old 12-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #13
ken robinson

Liked 164 Times in 69 Posts

I agree with Eric on the pits because of the running to the other side and back , not know when your pair is going out , is a major issue for a one person team . That is the the only thing the track designer screwed up . It should have been one large staging lane behind the tower or something ( other than staging its a great track ) . I think dial in's on the windows are ok .Leave the R.T's on the time slips . If its a heads up is a heads up that shouldn't be an issue ......... The biggest issue you have is , how do you get Mr. B.Smith to say yes to a race date at his track ....... As well as to letting you spray some PJ-1 on his track surface ............Thats the biggest challenge .......P.S. Mr Smith lets nascar spray PJ-1 on some of his circle tracks he owns , in the corners to help make a second grove for better racing . What dose he not under stand about the need for traction on the starting line of his drag strip ? You might sale it to him as a national open/sports nationals or sportsman shootout ( some type of catchy name so he can sale tickets ) type race with pre-entered racers to guaranteed car count .
ken robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:40 PM   #14
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

[QUOTE=MEXJOE;551091]How about we one up it!!
Remover ALL reaction times from all time slips / runs.
And do a dial in with a digital device / phone so no one knows what the other guys are dialing!![/QUOTE

Removing reaction times from time slips is an idea that I've supported for years. There are Stock and Super Stock guys (that typically race every week) who can literally "dial" themselves into the .500-.510 range, with starting line RPM and front tire pressure. Not saying they're not clever or talented, but if you're a twice a month racer, you don't stand a chance.

I've also been intrigued by the Comp Eliminator breakout system OR switching Stock and Super Stock to a .500 "Pro" tree.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #15
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 801 Times in 213 Posts
Talking Re: Flame away at this idea

[QUOTE=nhramnl;551545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEXJOE View Post
How about we one up it!!
Remover ALL reaction times from all time slips / runs.
And do a dial in with a digital device / phone so no one knows what the other guys are dialing!![/QUOTE

Removing reaction times from time slips is an idea that I've supported for years. There are Stock and Super Stock guys (that typically race every week) who can literally "dial" themselves into the .500-.510 range, with starting line RPM and front tire pressure. Not saying they're not clever or talented, but if you're a twice a month racer, you don't stand a chance.

I've also been intrigued by the Comp Eliminator breakout system OR switching Stock and Super Stock to a .500 "Pro" tree.
I like the idea of a .500 pro tree and let deep staging back