HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default manual trans shifting - with or without clutch?

Racers,

my first manual trans combination is under construction. Although I am an experienced racer, all my experience is with an auto trans. So, at this time, all I can do is "think" how it will be and ask questions.

So, it seems to me the most consistent performance would be shifting without the clutch, is my thinking correct? If so, what transmission best accomplishes such shifting? [not a Lenco] Gforce, Jerico, Liberty, etc.] [or course, we are speaking of classes were clutchless shifting is legal]

I have already talked with several clutch builders and after doing so, Robert Youngblood will be my clutch builder choice.

In addition, I have talked with Jerico and GForce, each of them give vague answers about clutchless shifting, something like, "it can be done but we don't recommend it" Are they simply covering themselves? Since they don't know me, do they consider everyone who calls a person who can "break an anvil with a rubber hammer?" [at least until you have a relationship established with them]

My combination is a SBC, 3050 pounds with driver, performance will be low 10's - high 9's shift RPM about 8200 - 8300

Please let me hear your real world, on track experience.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Bob Pagano
VIP Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: manual trans shifting - with or without clutch?

Call Kevin Helms down at Southland Dodge, He can tell you what you need to know.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
KingReptile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Our transmissions usually last for years and years.90% of all failures are due to much clutch or alignment issues.You would be surprised in the things we have encountered .You will be happy with a manual trans either way you decide to go.

Tom Hemmingson
Jerico Performance Products

Last edited by KingReptile; 07-06-2009 at 08:18 PM.
KingReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

If this is a bracket car and not a stocker, I would just order the "clutchless" version and be done with it. Jerico makes one this way. Not legal in Stock Superstock, but in your case, a good deal . You can do it with out a clutch, with most transmissions, but it is harder on parts for sure. You could have the best of both with a trans designed for clutchless operation. BTW, if you do get a clutch assisted version, don't shift in the burnout. I have purchased several bombed transmissions for what few parts were left because newbies think they are Warren Johnson and started banging gears in the water.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts

Tom & James, Thanks for the reply's, I appreciate the feedback.

Tom,
which Jerico model four speed will give long service life as a clutchless.? This is about 625 horse SBC in 3050 pounds with driver.
With the proper help, I expect to have the clutch right! [well at least that is my plan!]

James, Thanks for the warning! The very last thing I need is to trash a new, high dollar trans! That is not part of my plan.