HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 09-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
427FE

Liked 305 Times in 68 Posts
Default 1985 Mustang GT help

I have a 1985 mustang GT that I would like to slowly start building as a stocker. Im also a newbie to this style of racing. So I appreciate any answers!

Does the cylinder heads, block, intake manifold need to be E5 ? Does it need to be the original carb also? Is an aftermarket manual trans legal?

Thanks for any help!!
427FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: 1985 Mustang GT help

Heads, intake and carburetor must be factory and have proper part # as on NHRA site or CLASSRACERINFO.com. You can run an aftermarket transmission, used Liberty's and Jericho's out there and are pretty much bulletproof for your combo, T-5 will not last for long behind a stocker. 9 inch or 8.8 rears are the best choices, 9 inch stronger and has a better selection of gears, 8.8 uses less power to run. Lots of part available for a Mustang stocker. Don't limit yourself to just stock, car can be made to hook on small tire with a super stock motor, I have noticed the s.s. fields light on car count this year compared to stock.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

It's extremely important to get and read an NHRA rule book.

Read and reread the Stock and Super Stock sections from top to bottom several times before doing anything with a new build. Make up your mind and decide where you want to go with your car. Otherwise you will waste a lot of $$$.

And don't try to out think that book, either. I bought a $600 Holley carb that I thought would pass for SS and now know I need the $700 QuickFuel to be legal.

Good luck and ask,ask, ask.

Dale
Old 09-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

Depending where you are, I have a bunch of correct 85 5.0 4 barrel cores parts, including cylinder heads, cabs, intakes etc and am also looking to sell my 85 LX HB Stocker, either rolling, or with a basic, low maintenance Stocker engine, that has gone a best of 12.32ET in M/Stock. I used a Jerico 4 speed in my Mustang, I tried a stock T5 the first year, ended up with 2 broken transmissions. My car has the 8.8, with aftermarket internals, and has held up well to low 10 second passes with a bracket SB Ford and the Jerico, with 4.88 gears, but I did break 2 ring & pinions when using 5.13s. I think a 5 speed would likely be quicker, but also a bunch more $$$. If you were to run the car as an N Stocker, you dont require a roll bar and harness (at least at this time), but with all the faster cars in the other lane, plus the flimsy construction of the FOX cars, a roll bar (or cage) and subframe connectors are highly recommended. Also best to stitch weld and reinforce all the rear suspension mounting points and rear crossmember area, BEFORE it gets torn up. Be sure to have the axle tubes welded to the cast center if using a 8.8.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
427FE

Thanks for the help guys. I will get a rule book and study it.

The was already a race car, so it already has a 10 point cage and tubular front end.

I would be interested in some of your parts. Im in NJ
Old 09-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #6
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427FE View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I will get a rule book and study it.

The was already a race car, so it already has a 10 point cage and tubular front end.

I would be interested in some of your parts. Im in NJ
You do realize that an aftermaket tubular K member is not legal in Stock, right? But a 4cyl or V8 K member should be pretty easy to find. I know the inline 6 Kmember if different, not sure about the V6 unit.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #7
427FE

Looks like I really need a rule book!!
Old 09-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #8
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts

I have a bolt on ready to go 4180 carb with flow documentation from my stocker if interested, along with a box of spare carbs. The crappy thing that Ford did to the 83-85 engines, the intakes are casting # year specific. I am sure they did the same with other years too.

You can't go wrong if Rory has extra heads, intakes and carbs, to not pursue making that deal!

Another clarification for the 85 GT, its a stick only combination. The block is not casting number specific. A Mexican block or approved aftermarket block is ok. Hydraulic roller cam conversion kits are legal. Front and rear suspension is very rules dependent. No coilover conversions, or aftermarket K-members.

The initial investment in a good trans, bellhousing and clutch/flywheel may be scary. But those components will last for many years with a lot of abuse behind these motors.

Good luck,
Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:28 AM   #9
427FE

Thanks for all the help guys. As far as the front k-member goes, Im sure I can find a stock kmember and a- arms for basically free or pull it from a bone yard.

Do the rear control arms need to be stock? Can the stock ones be boxed? Does the bore need to be 4.00? I have an old boss service block half filled and I think its at 4.060.

Manual trans is the only way I would go. I would have to keep an eye out for a good used setup.

Any of you guys run the east coast stock/super stock series?

Last edited by 427FE; 09-15-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #10
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts

You can replace the rear control arms and use a relocation type mount/arms on the upper arms. It has to relocate at the housing and not the body attachment point though. You can overbore the block, but only within the allowable tolerance by the rules.

Again you really need to get a rule book so you can see what you can and cannot do.

A few of us have used a 5 speed, but the majority run a 4 speed Jerico.
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote