Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #21
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts
Default Re: What Changes In Super Classes Would You Like To See

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Williams View Post
Whatever the indexes, I'd like to see two changes:

1) As long as the index is relatively arbitrary, pick a nice round number. Whoever came up with x.90 was just not thinking clearly. Ever try to explain to someone that 8.898 is a breakout but 8.989 is really slow? Make it x.00. A breakout is obvious.

2) Make the distinctions not based on body type, just on index. Let a dragster that can't make the SC index run in SG, and so on. Have three or four classes (say 7.00, 8.00, 9.00, and 10.00) and just say "run watcha brung". If you have to say that a driver can only run one of these classes to keep the sharks out of the tank, fine.

My $.02.
Super Gas has always been a left hand steer ,roadster / door car class,AND should always stay that way regardless of other changes.
If a dragster cant run at least 8.90, it has no business being at a NHRA sportsman event !
Nobody ever said this is a cheap sport , if a racer cant afford an engine powerfull to move his 1900# dragster to an 8.90 ,[ and now days its hard to build a motor that DOES NOT have the horsepower to do that ] then they should go bracket racing, they have a class for everybody.
Tom
]
Old 12-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #22
Rollins_2241

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"I think the .5 tree and minimum weights are the great equalizer that makes such a wide variety of cars capable of winning and entertaining to watch."

Agreed. In addition, my favorite solution to keep the spirit of Super Street alive is to raise the minimum weight 200 lbs. No extra tech or policing (same scales) and it would make most of the tube chassis cars move to S/G, where they should be.
Rollins_2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #23
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Goldman View Post
Super Gas has always been a left hand steer ,roadster / door car class,AND should always stay that way regardless of other changes.
If a dragster cant run at least 8.90, it has no business being at a NHRA sportsman event !
Nobody ever said this is a cheap sport , if a racer cant afford an engine powerfull to move his 1900# dragster to an 8.90 ,[ and now days its hard to build a motor that DOES NOT have the horsepower to do that ] then they should go bracket racing, they have a class for everybody.
Tom
]
I appreciate that, Tom. My point was that if you're going to move them all down (say SC to 8.00, SG to 9.00, etc.), give people who have an 8.5 second dragster today a place to run.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #24
TruRacrMotorsports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you guys think taking timers out of class racing would bring the speeds down, I say BBBB SSSSSS....you'll just have people picking spots, counting, doing whatever and then driving the wheels off the cars. Chasing has always been seen as an advantage and people will find a way to do it. People don't setup on a .90....so why wouldn't picking spots and making sure you have room work?

Just stirring the pot...because that's how I roll....

Scotty (Wishing I was the "Scotty Rule" Scotty") Rienschield
TruRacrMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #25
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruRacrMotorsports View Post
If you guys think taking timers out of class racing would bring the speeds down, I say BBBB SSSSSS....
Truer words were never spoken. IMHO, the only people who say "take away electronics" are people who aren't very good with them.

The ONLY change taking away the timers would make is to make the MOVs bigger. Period. The races would be decided by .10s not by .001s. Big deal.

There would still be people in SC going 185 racing people going 160. People with money will still spend it for whatever perceived advantage they can get.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #26
super comp 112

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom goldman View Post
super gas has always been a left hand steer ,roadster / door car class,and should always stay that way regardless of other changes.
If a dragster cant run at least 8.90, it has no business being at a nhra sportsman event !
Nobody ever said this is a cheap sport , if a racer cant afford an engine powerfull to move his 1900# dragster to an 8.90 ,[ and now days its hard to build a motor that does not have the horsepower to do that ] then they should go bracket racing, they have a class for everybody.
Tom
]
did anybody ever think maybe we should try to get the purse increased instead of worrying about spending more money to go faster for the same purse.
super comp 112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #27
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by super comp 112 View Post
did anybody ever think maybe we should try to get the purse increased instead of worrying about spending more money to go faster for the same purse.
I don't know about you, but when I race an NHRA event, the purse means nothing, I'm racing for a statue of a little guy standing next to a slick
Old 12-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #28
super comp 112

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
i don't know about you, but when i race an nhra event, the purse means nothing, i'm racing for a statue of a little guy standing next to a slick
does the little guy standing next to the slick pay your bills? I know there are few making a living sportsman drag racing but atleast i would like to get a little back. When you can go to a local track and race for 2000.00 on a saturday night and 3 or 4 days later at a nhra event they want to hand you a check for 1500.00 plus decal money if they pay something is wrong.
super comp 112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #29
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by super comp 112 View Post
does the little guy standing next to the slick pay your bills? I know there are few making a living sportsman drag racing but atleast i would like to get a little back. When you can go to a local track and race for 2000.00 on a saturday night and 3 or 4 days later at a nhra event they want to hand you a check for 1500.00 plus decal money if they pay something is wrong.
Never once even dawned on me that money came back out of racing...
Old 12-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #30
lazrcng

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Re: What Changes In Super Classes Would You Like To See

IMHO.........

Leave it the way it is for the current classes (10.90, 9.90, 8.90) and make a MPH limit (maybe?)

Make a new class 7.90 (any MPH you want)....call it Super Eliminator!

I would suggest weight breaks by Cu.In, but you don't think there would be honesty issues would ya.........MPH is indisputable.

Or do nothing at all and we will still go racing without question!
lazrcng is offline   Reply With Quote