HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 03-19-2015, 05:57 PM   #11
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts
Default Re: Mph = Win ?

Gambling in the stands we would always say MPH wins and go with the car that had the most. A lot of times odds would have to be given because cars with more MPH usually won. Not very scientific or no spreadsheet available just good old gambling.
Jeff Stout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #12
sst7250

Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts

So I guess one barometer would be how many "high" MPH cars have won S/ST and S/G? I have not seen a lot in S/ST at least, maybe I am wrong.
sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #13
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

I am interested in what you consider hi mph in super street, and what is hi mph in super gas. Looking at the Belle Rose ets, red lights, and slow runs of 11.0 seconds, I would say a 136 mph car won SST. I myself consider that a hi mph. But I take note of any car over 140 extremely hi mph. Seen a few 150 cars, and to me that is they are the trend. The hi mph cars usually run SG, when they want to, with ease.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #14
sst7250

Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts

Well I would consider a S/ST car over 150 to be a "fast" car. There are more and more of those along with cars that can go 160+
sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #15
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

Super gas winner at 4 Wide Nationals 172 in the final
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:10 PM   #16
Bucky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
MPH has no effect on win or loosing. Drag racing is a game of numbers. If you have a better light and run closer to the number in index or handicap racing you will be the winner no matter which car has the bigger MPH.
That would be true if most of the winners made no adjustments at the finish line. But that simply isn't the case. The vast majority of winners can cut a respectable light, AND can play the stripe. The driver gets a better look at how the stripe is unfolding when he is the catching car as a rule. I have not had that luxury for most of my racing years, so my head is mounted on a swivel.

Last edited by Bucky; 05-31-2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: left out a word!
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #17
flash

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

But,If you make one round at 9am,then 2nd round at 330pm,with weather and track conditions changing as well-with the thought process being that most of the mph cars have 2 hundreds in the bank because nobody really knows what the will run with that much down time between rounds,that gives the mph car the advantage of catching the slower car,parking on him coming to the stripe,or push the slower car to breakout and dump to get back on the good side on the index! the slower car can dump as well but the car with the most options is the mph car,and all this happens really fast! I have be told by good racers they win more rounds not taking the win light! there is a skill to finish line racing.had a racer tell me a qtr mile race track is 2 ft long-the first foot & and the last foot!
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:23 AM   #18
Bucky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
But,If you make one round at 9am,then 2nd round at 330pm,with weather and track conditions changing as well-with the thought process being that most of the mph cars have 2 hundreds in the bank because nobody really knows what the will run with that much down time between rounds,that gives the mph car the advantage of catching the slower car,parking on him coming to the stripe,or push the slower car to breakout and dump to get back on the good side on the index! the slower car can dump as well but the car with the most options is the mph car,and all this happens really fast! I have be told by good racers they win more rounds not taking the win light! there is a skill to finish line racing.had a racer tell me a qtr mile race track is 2 ft long-the first foot & and the last foot!
Do you mean by not taking the stripe? The win light is kinda needed?
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:48 AM   #19
flash

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Yes-not taking the stripe
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:55 PM   #20
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,641 Times in 520 Posts
Wink Re: Mph = Win ?

here is a good case in point. I usually race my high mph car in s/st. I feel I def. have the advantage by watching the race unfold and waiting till last few feet to act... now that said this weekend I ran my 11.60 street car in super pro, managed to drive well and got to the finals where I ran an 7.60 altered. we were dead even at the tree, I watched him leave, then again at 1000 foot decided he was not going to get there, I dumped hard at the mph stripe, killed 10 mph and 4#s ran out by .003. and still took way too much stripe! advantage fast car!!!!! btw I have found it to be much harder to kill #s with a 3700 pound car than a 2600# car also an advantage for being lighter, lesson learned....
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote