HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #31
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Default Re: Quickest "Real" Pontiac

Best of luck for all your hard work Lynn and family. I'm glad you can run the aftermarket blocks like all the other brands they are available for. It is only fair. I really love hearing of the fast GTO's as they will always be my favorite car ever made. I hope to own another someday. I am blessed tho with a real 70 GS anda real 70 SS396 bench seat 4 speed car.
I hope we see videos of your racing this year.
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:04 AM   #32
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 749 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: Quickest "Real" Pontiac

Well ya'll, I know some HATE it when somebody brings back an old thread.

BUT, I just found this one, by accident.

So, here it is, back to the top.

As mentioned, the Scott Burton '70 RAIV Bird was the quickest Pontiac Stocker ever. It turned some 10-teens in competition, for sure. Also dipped into the 9's, at a bracket race, in the Northwest. I ASSUME that John Schloe's '69 Bird, MAY have been 2nd quickest, back when he had the RAIV engine in it. Don't know his best ET.

Of the current Stockers, I assume that Randi Lyn Shipp, Chris Stephenson, & Leo Glasbrenner have the quickest Pontiacs. All have run below 10.50.

The '69 RAIV Bird that Keri Angeles drives has gone well into the 9's, in reg SS form. J.B. Clegg has gone well into the 9's with both '73 & '74 SD455 powered Birds. These are the 3 quickest Pontiac powered reg SS cars I know of.

If other reg SS Pontiac powered cars have got into the 9's, I'm not aware. So, if anybody knows of one, or more, please post that info.

In GT, if you allow a non-Pontiac body, Robert Cruzen has gone 8.90 @ 146.13, in his Cobalt. I assume that was the quickest pass ever, by a Pontiac powered GT car. Don't know of any Pontiac bodied GT cars that have dipped into the 8's. Do ya'll ? Robert ran that 8.90 at the 2016 US Nats. Don't know if he has gone quicker, or not.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r2016#indextop

Of course, these cars are just the quickest ET wise. That does not mean they ran further under their index, than many of the slower Pontiacs. Hey, I've posted where a few went 1.5 sec under and very near that. Because of getting hit with hp, don't think we'll be seeing those kind of numbers anymore, even if the car is capable of it.

Lets just consider this an update to this older thread.

Last edited by oldskool; 01-27-2020 at 03:44 AM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote