HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 10-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Nova4301

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default IHRA tournament of Champions

I just wanted to get some opinions on what people think should happen. I was one of the qualifiers that witnessed this disasterous week/weekend. I can't say that IHRA was necessarily fully to blame, but I have definitely been to colder/wetter/more windy events and it didn't go this badly.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
schultz

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: IHRA tournament of Champions

IHRA is completley to blame for that weekend! I've never seen such an unorganized mess in all the years I've been racing. For one they had too many races to run, when they had a window to run some cars nothing was going down the track. The only good decision they made was to go 1/8 mile. The sportsman national should have been cancelled as soon as there was a threat of rain, wich they new was coming on Thursday. How many guys do you think traveled from all over the country to run that race? None, they were all locals or from a couple hundred miles away. I was qualified for the TOC I drove 1200 miles one way from Minnesota just to make time runs! You would think by October everybody who is at that race has there stuff together, that making the switch to 1/8 mile would be no big deal. When they gave extra time trials on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday I was ready to burn the tower down. Who makes such asinine decisions! Every dicision they made from race control sabotaged the weekend. They just kept putting themselves further and further behind. Yes we had weather to deal with, but there is no excuse for not getting that race done. Thank god the ran that jet truck and those hack fuel cars, so they could oil up the track and screw up the timing system for the 200 fans in the stands. I'm angry, I looked forward to this race for months. It was probably a once in a lifetime trip for me, but I'm sure the brain power at IHRA will reschedule it in Florida. So the guys who can travel can go, and us guys from Minnesota, Canada, Texas can all sit and spin. I can't go back, I burned up my vacation and my money do go once not twice. Split up the money to the qualifiers, what difference does it make to have a world champion in an organizaton, that if they keep making the decisions they are making won't be around much longer.
schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Jeremy Lehrke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's my boy Schultz for you! I'll bet anybody right now that his ears turned bright red when he typed that.

Lehrke
Jeremy Lehrke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Nova4301

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I knew some people would be very upset the way things went down. I traveled from OKC, OK and had the rock slide on I-40 add an extra 2 hours or so to the trip on the way back, used up my leave, money, etc. So, I am pretty mad as well. I really hope they figure out a resonable solution...this put too much on one weekend...like you said they shouldn't have had the sportsnationals at all.

They either need to just figure out top ten finishers based off of the year or if they reschedule it really needs to be in texas, michigan, louisiana...cause to be fair a reschedule can't be on the east coast.

not trying to stir anything up, but I am curious on what people's opinions are...especially the qualifiers.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
schultz

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Lehrke View Post
That's my boy Schultz for you! I'll bet anybody right now that his ears turned bright red when he typed that.

Lehrke
My ears will be red for a long time after that mess. This might be beating a dead horse. I know this is hind sight, but out of the winners that got there race done, and the finalists left in competion. Only 2 racers would have qualified for the TOC. So we sat there for 5 days to get 2 more cars in. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the guys who will get in (there final has not been run yet) I'm just asking was it worth it?
schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
bmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Re: IHRA tournament of Champions

To give IHRA a chance both scotter and arron need to do the right thing. Fall on their swords and go work for monster truck dept. Scotter if your reading this you know im right and Im sure your already looking for a pink slip every payday so do the right thing and quit. Many people on this site keep sticking up for these guys and their desisions and its cost us all in unorganized disasters at many events over the past few years.

Not afraid of posting
Brian Mac Millan
Mac Millan & Wife Racing Super Gas Super Rod
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
Michael Lyons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I sent an email, made the suggestion to cut up what was left in the allstars. Draw a number for the goldcar, which why do you need another gold card, didn't everyone who was in the allstar race already win a gold card for winning their division or the spring allstar race? As for the TOC I said they should use the old best of 5 divisional and 3 nationals points system and figure who would have been champ. Take 1500 outta the pot, give 1000 to the champ, 500 to second and then equal shares to everyone who attended the race. i.e. everyone gets their $623(guesstimate) and the champ gets an extra grand, goldcar and trophy, second gets 500 more. Thats just my 2 cents.. let 2009 be done and get ready for 2010 for those that will still be able to afford to race in oh 10..
Michael Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts

what a joke! i feel sorry for anyone that traveled more than 20 miles to go to this race, they did not need the sportsnationals at all, it was for them to make money. my thought is to split the money ONLY to the ones that bothered to show up. pick a winner out of a hat, again only to the racers that were there. the world championship this year is a joke anyway.
mac and wife, miss seing u guys at the races, god knows they needed more than 3 s/r cars at new york! i guess you spoke your mind and got a nasty e- mail. this happens a lot.
shultz. good seeing u again, and yes, his ears were beet red!
they only good thing i can say is i enjoyed seeing all my freinds, and playing "cornhole" with the "rebels" chris, ej, and rickey. and watching greg fowler come .006 from makeing the toc.
Keith 944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
Joe Bauman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I normally don't post, but I feel this is important. I have contacted Skooter and gave my opinion. I agree with Michael on how to determine the championship. There is not going to be any great way to decide this but if they tell us to come back it will be a disaster.

They tried to level the playing field for the sporsman racer with the TOC. Well it didn't work this year.

Alot of the sportsman racers can not come back at all. If they reschedule it and you don't come back you will get nothing. If they split it up you will at least get part of your tow money back. Figure it out the best they can and move on to next year and hopefully they will learn from their mistakes.

I am probably one of the racers that would come back if they rescheduled it. I actually think I would be dumb for going back but hey..... I love racing.... With that being said... If I was to win it. It wouldnt be a true championship. So what is the point of trying.

The weather was not the problem at this race. The problem was the poor scheduling and the main problem was track prep. I don't know how to fix the track prep problem, but what they were doing did not work. They knew they had a problem the week before at the bracket finals and did nothing to fix the problem. That is the main issue I see.

I think they need to let all of the TOC qualifiers vote on several options or they need to form a commitee of racers to help make the best decision in the interest of the sportman racers.

We need IHRA to survive. I am not happy with what just happened but screaming at them will not help..... Lets help them make the best decision possible.

Joe Bauman
573X
Joe Bauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
S/ST4707

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tim, good seeing you and the guys from OK in Rockingham. I too am disappointed we could not finish 'the race that never ended" as I would have liked to compete for the championship rather than some other altnernative method. Everyone I talked too was frustrated about the delays and almost to the person feels too much was scheduled for one weekend. As my old boss would say, "this too shall pass".

Any method for selecting the top ten will not suit everyone and maybe not anyone as it will not reflect the rules set forth in the beginning. Whatever the decision, I will try to support IHRA as we need an alternative racing organization. Hopefully everyone involved learned something from this weekend (week).

I met a lot of good racers that I have read about over the years and for that am thankful.

Got home today, lost a week of work, spent $900 on fuel and traveling, and $908 to get the truck repaired in Charlotte.

Sid Norwood
H/R 4707
S/ST4707 is offline   Reply With Quote