HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 04-14-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts
Default Input on Stk/SS ladders in Class Eliminations

As most people know Class Eliminations are laddered based on a Sportsman Ladder. Someone from NHRA approached us at No Problem with a problem that has developed. A little history; Some years I approached NHRA about the ladders after Indy which became a problem with everyone trying to get someone, miss someone, or pulling straws all of which made Class in Indy a mess and hard to administer and keep the program on schedule. In my proposal, I only intended Indy to get this treatment. NHRA instituted it at all National Events which was OK at the time. However with three day races becoming the norm, it is almost impossible to get the ladders done and so the delays that now exist and with sometime one time trial and then class it gets worse. His suggestion to keep laddering was to institute a regulation that you had to run the class you entered in. We had no problem with that, but told him we would need someone to change class from when we entered until registration closed usually on the Monday before the race. And we know there would have to be a couple of things worked out before this could be done either way. This is asking for comments on this idea, and the NHRA person is looking at any problem from their side. We did not address the fact that you have to have a run to get a time before the ladder can be done, but he seemed to have this handled. Comments, Ideas, or what have you.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,595 Times in 371 Posts
Default Re: Input on Stk/SS ladders in Class Eliminations

No thanks. Can't change classes. No hiding. Just pick card. #s . Flip cups. Faster car gets bye run. Done
Old 04-14-2017, 11:32 PM   #3
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

There's no reason to change anything. The ladders have helped tremendously with keeping peace in the lanes. Nhra simply has to assign a person with the responsibility of getting the ladders out in good order and in a timely fashion. This does not mean that this would be the worker's only job during the race. If they can't seem to get it right they could farm the job out to one of the software companies like Portatree. The racers could get a text with the ladders when their category is called up. There is no reason for this to be as difficult as they have made it.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:28 AM   #4
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts

I like class being laddered, if its done correctly its simple and fast if not its a cluster. I have no problem running the class entered. Possible draw backs; some one has hit your combination after entering and car will not "fit" the class that it was originally entered, remember the adjustments for a 1.20 under run is posted on Tuesday. Mid year AHFS adjustments change the class the car will "fit'', and you entered three weeks earlier before the category closed in a different class.

If racers can change classes on Monday of the event week, will it cause system overload?

I bet Toby can do it!
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
Jim Bailey

Liked 505 Times in 104 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Input on Stk/SS ladders in Class Eliminations

I'm confused... I don't see any relationship between what class you run and the timeliness of getting a ladder done...You still have to make a run first...I get it that some of the NHRA tracks still use Dos as an operating system, but in our current day and age of technology ...come on , give me a break,... most of the new cars engine management systems could generate a ladder! This sounds like some BS thing, a self serving racer has thought up to try and hide from the faster cars in their class before they enter a National Event.

Last edited by Jim Bailey; 04-15-2017 at 07:47 AM. Reason: typing error
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:05 AM   #6
Jim Bailey

Liked 505 Times in 104 Posts
Wink Re: Input on Stk/SS ladders in Class Eliminations

HOW ABOUT THIS - Just to make things simpler (faster) for the sanctioning bodies - Why don't we register our cars at the beginning of each year !... You must declare the year, make , and model, and THE CLASS you're running for that year. Then you get you a certification sticker - No changes until January 1 the following year. LMFAO ......
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:33 AM   #7
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

I say don't change it. Just improve the process to ladder the cars. It can't be too difficult to have software done or some other automated process.

Even if they had to export the qualifying to excel and sort it, it would not take long.

The biggest challenge I saw at Gainesville for class was poor communication between the tower and the people working in the lanes.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 147 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
I say don't change it. Just improve the process to ladder the cars. It can't be too difficult to have software done or some other automated process.

Even if they had to export the qualifying to excel and sort it, it would not take long.

The biggest challenge I saw at Gainesville for class was poor communication between the tower and the people working in the lanes.
I agree...leave it alone....
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
Randall Klein

Liked 317 Times in 66 Posts

Ummm, bring Red back?
Randall Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #10