HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 05-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,641 Times in 520 Posts
Default NYC any ideas, must see?

taking my first trip with wife to the big apple, she has a conference, we will have one extra day to play. OK, besides the 911 site or the statue of liberty, what are your recommendations as a must see? and of coarse where is a must eat....
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Smile Re: NYC any ideas, must see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith 944 View Post
taking my first trip with wife to the big apple, she has a conference, we will have one extra day to play. OK, besides the 911 site or the statue of liberty, what are your recommendations as a must see? and of coarse where is a must eat....
Keith get a map of the island, and then figure out where you are staying in relationship to that. Its bigger than you think. If the weather is nice and you are close to Central Park that is pretty nice. Grand Central is quite impressive, Rockefeller center also, but will be swamped with touristas. The retired air craft carrier is open again, and that is real nice.....Cab it all over the place and you will have a nice experience....the subway isn't all that much cheaper at all when you have two and its kind of a pain in the butt. Cabs take plastic now. Food it depends upon what you like. But it is tough to find a crappy meal. If you like museums you are in the place. Can't remember if we did the horse rides, but I did jog by the stables.

If you are driving, then pay the parking garage fees unless you can move the car on the street(assuming you find street parking). I got nailed with a $225 dollar ticket for too close(10 or 12 feet from a hydrant) And it goes without saying leave the dualie at home!

Note: Not cheap, and not on sale, but truly unique.

Have fun

Eric
Old 05-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Keith 944
VIP Member

Default Re: NYC any ideas, must see?

thanks, we are taking the rail in from Wilmington, i gotta ride the subway just to say i did it. we love museums and the aircraft Carrier sounds cool.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Keith,everyone knows the usual tourist locationsHere's two places to eat you can't miss.
They're both in Greenwich Village,downtown Manhattan and within a 1/2 mile of each other.
Sevillia:Spanish restaurant,real Spanish not Tex-Mex crap.Located at Charles St and West 4th st.
John's Pizzeria-Real brick oven pizza,same family ownership since the 1920s.I grew up on this stuff.Located on Bleeker St south of 7th ave south.I think they're closed on Mondays.
The Village is very interesting to walk.You can spend a day plus nd still not see everything.
Enjoy your visit and I know it's not easy,but don't bring the car into Manhattan.The PT
(public transportation) will get you where you want to go.Check ahead of time for discounted travel deals.
Ther cabs,due to traffic,are not a fast/enjoyabe means of travel.They'll make you wish you brought your helmet/harness/neck collar etc. along.The subway,other than rush hours,is the best and fastest.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA

Last edited by Ed Fernandez; 05-07-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Times Square at night. When it's all lit up. And it is now pretty safe there. Gulianni chased all the skells out. It's now tourist friendly.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Keith 944
VIP Member

sounds like a lot of fun, leaving tomorrow, overnight stay, and a day to wonder around, thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming
Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts

Pastrami sandwich from Katz's Deli.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Don View Post
Pastrami sandwich from Katz's Deli.
The real deal for Deli sandwiches is Harolds by Exit 10 (NJTP) They make Katz's look like finger food.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Keith,everyone knows the usual tourist locationsHere's two places to eat you can't miss.
They're both in Greenwich Village,downtown Manhattan and within a 1/2 mile of each other.
Sevillia:Spanish restaurant,real Spanish not Tex-Mex crap.Located at Charles St and West 4th st.
John's Pizzeria-Real brick oven pizza,same family ownership since the 1920s.I grew up on this stuff.Located on Bleeker St south of 7th ave south.I think they're closed on Mondays.
The Village is very interesting to walk.You can spend a day plus nd still not see everything.
Enjoy your visit and I know it's not easy,but don't bring the car into Manhattan.The PT
(public transportation) will get you where you want to go.Check ahead of time for discounted travel deals.
Ther cabs,due to traffic,are not a fast/enjoyabe means of travel.They'll make you wish you brought your helmet/harness/neck collar etc. along.The subway,other than rush hours,is the best and fastest.
I agree with Ed, see the village. Also we enjoyed the Circle Line Ferry, real nice informative trip.
We got to eat at Second Ave Deli, will always cherish that. Veniero's for cheesecake or cannoli's, but what would I know, I'm from Illinois!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob don View Post
pastrami sandwich from katz's deli.
x2
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote