HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #21
MattConte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: life after Super Stock for the Hemi A-bodies?

Hey Dave! How is it going Bud?
Nice to see you here. This is the place for Super Stock and other drag racing info.
Matt
MattConte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #22
davezinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

does anyone have pictures of these cars from the 70's-80's they would be willing to share? i'm also interested in what were common modifications of those era's applied to these cars, suspension modifications, engine parts, etc. one thing i'm pretty curious about is how the cars were modified to fit the bigger slicks and still retain the leaf springs. i know that the springs were relocated but where the frame rails moved in too or were they replaced?

i noticed too that the team of DeFrank & Cohen have had at least two Hemi A-bodies, maybe more?

Dave
davezinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #23
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Dave,
The 10.5" slicks fit within the wheel-well of the Cuda.
The Dart required rear fender-well opening modification.
The frame-rails were not modified on the factory cars.
The cars were basic 68' 383 cars. Came through with
welded-in 'torque-boxes'.
pc
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #24
Jeff Kempton

Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezinn View Post
i'm curious where the Hemi Darts and Barracuda's went after Super Stock? they obviously kept racing them but in what classes? i'm interested in pictures and information about these cars as they existed and were raced in the 70's and 80's if anyone is interested in sharing.

Dave
Dave; this quote by Larry Griffith in an article by Bob Frey touches on what happened to some of these cars. As previously noted, many others ended up being converted to race various other classes.

"I was racing a 1968 Hemi Dart, and when Chrysler came out with the Pro Stock program they asked a few of us if we would convert our cars to 1970 models. Melvin Yow and a few others, like me, agreed, and we went Pro Stock racing." After racing the newly converted car for about a year, Larry was rewarded with a new ride for 1971. "I got one of the new Dodge Demons and we raced that for a while."

If you'd like to read the full article here is the link:

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=214169
Jeff Kempton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #25
davezinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jeff, thank you for posting the link!

it brings up a question i have that i'm very curious about. when the cars were converted to '70-'71 models did they use fiberglass fenders and hoods?

i'm also curious as to how they cut the back off to change it to the later model.

Dave
davezinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #26
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Any one here know if Dick Landy's 426 Hemi 1970 Dart Swinger pro stocker was one of his older cars converted, or bought from a Chrysler dealership, or was it a body in white from the factory...and I'm pretty sure Bob Lambeck drove this one for Landy.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 10-31-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:02 PM   #27
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Anyone have anymore info or stats on these converted Hemi A-body race cars.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 10-31-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #28
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post
Any one here know if Dick Landy's 426 Hemi 1970 Dart Swinger pro stocker was one of his older cars converted, or bought from a Chrysler dealership, or was it a body in white from the factory...and I'm pretty sure Bob Lambeck drove this one for Landy.

In a conversation with Dick, the 70 car was brought up, but I really don't know the answer to it. Dick told me he converted the 68 stick car. He said he remembered the nightmare his bodyman had getting the 70 tail fitting after he cut the 68 off. The front was all bolt on.
There are holes in that theory tho, which I can't explain. He is known to have owned only 2 original LO cars when new. One a stick, one an auto. Both cars are documented today by Dick, & have been restored. But yet, if you look at the Car Craft All Star Decal on the side glass, this is a decal from 1968.
I believe he cut up a 68 car, but what car did he cut????

liteweight
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #29
Michael Kilduff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
thank you for the replies and information everyone. someone mentioned the 14x32" tires, when did they come out?

i have and old article that shows the rear suspension modifications and wheeltubs in one of the Gratiot Darts, it's the leaf -link rear set-up. the article is from '75 in Popular Hot Rodding. was this the same car that was rolled into a ball the next year?

why is it hard to track the cars that were converted to '70-'71 trim? do they drop off the radar a bit because of the update? i wonder if any of those guys who updated the cars still have the '68 pieces collecting dust somewhere.

Dave
I think the 14x32 slicks came out in either 1972 or 1973.....during the Hemi Challenge every friday at Indy (US Nationals) Herb McCandless tells the story of how he was the first to use the tires...they were so new at the time the tires didn't even have lettering on them. I think the were Firestones, not sure though. He was part of the factory team back then and he usually says everybody was trying to get their hands on them while he had a 2-3 race advantage over everybody else.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #30
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
does anyone have pictures of these cars from the 70's-80's they would be willing to share?

Dave

Best I know of is right here: http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=13002
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote