HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 05-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #11
Kdw1403

Liked 68 Times in 22 Posts
Default Re: Front tire pressure adjustments

I have 28 inch tall tire on it. Car went 1.33 60 ft this past weekend. Just didn’t know what other B/SA cars run for tire pressure. I run radials on rear.
Kdw1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #12
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,419 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdw1403 View Post
I am trying to slow my reaction time down. When I am green it is is about a 015-020 But I go red alot by about .012-.015. Don’t win many races when you go red. Just trying to slow down reaction time without changing my spot on the tree. I might need to lower both front and rear tire pressure. I know I could lower my starting line rpm some as well. Just try to see what you guys think the best way to do it is.
Are you "blocking"?
Old 05-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #13
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
I have 28 inch tall tire on it. Car went 1.33 60 ft this past weekend. Just didn’t know what other B/SA cars run for tire pressure. I run radials on rear.
Blocking, or bias slicks should help.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:16 AM   #14
Kdw1403

Blocking? Are you talking about some sort of a blinder? If so , I really don’t know how to do that. I have seen and heard of people doing that. Are they blocking out the top 2 bulbs ? Do you then use the bottom bulb like a pro tree? What kind of device do you use to block out the top 2 bulbs? I also do not use a 2 step. I just lean on the converter. My 2step button is on my brake pedal. I have always been afraid I would hit the button and activate my 2 step at the finish line. Do you set the low side 2 step low enough where your brakes can safely hold the can without pushing it out of the beams. ?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:20 AM   #15
Kdw1403

Blocking? Are you talking about some sort of a blinder? If so , I really don’t know how to do that. I have seen and heard of people doing that. Are they blocking out the top 2 bulbs ? Do you then use the bottom bulb like a pro tree? What kind of device do you use to block out the top 2 bulbs? I also do not use a 2 step. I just lean on the converter. My 2step button is on my brake pedal. I have always been afraid I would hit the button and activate my 2 step at the finish line. Do you set the low side 2 step low enough where your brakes can safely hold the car without pushing it out of the beams. ?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:42 AM   #16
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,419 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Blocking? Are you talking about some sort of a blinder? If so , I really don’t know how to do that. I have seen and heard of people doing that. Are they blocking out the top 2 bulbs ? Do you then use the bottom bulb like a pro tree? What kind of device do you use to block out the top 2 bulbs? I also do not use a 2 step. I just lean on the converter. My 2step button is on my brake pedal. I have always been afraid I would hit the button and activate my 2 step at the finish line. Do you set the low side 2 step low enough where your brakes can safely hold the can without pushing it out of the beams. ?
Okay, if you're not blocking or blinding, let's leave that for another day.
Now, by your own description, you're swinging across .000 by about 35 thou.
So let's say you slow your vehicle reaction down .035. Your - .020 now becomes a +.015
Great.
But what happens when you hit what used to be a +.015? It now becomes a + .050.
Not going to win too many that way either.
My friend, I think you need to work on something other than the car right now.
Just my opinion. I don't consider myself to be a bracket racer. I did win a couple of track championships, but I think I'll let the experts take it from here.
Later ,we can get back to the technical items.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:14 AM   #17
Kdw1403

Yes mark you are correct in determining that my slower lights would be less than stellar. I would rather have more ‘50’ lights and less red lights. Most people would rather have a 50 light than a red light. Most people are not as consistent as you on the tree. We all wish we were but we are not, at least I’m not.i I can read between your lines and I will continue to work on my driving as hard as I can. Hopefully I can get my cars reaction time to go along with my ‘human’ reaction time and get a win one day. Thanks mark.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:37 AM   #18
wagonboy

Liked 26 Times in 5 Posts

KD,

I would highly recommend using your 2 step. If you can lower the launch rpm that would be a great help to you. Also, I would it would be more consistent leaving at the same RPM each time. The converter can move a little with air changes and trans temps.

Hook up a micro switch that will only allow the 2 step to be activated in low gear. I have mine on my shifter.

Good luck out there and keep trying, it will come.

Ryan
wagonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:21 AM   #19
Kdw1403

Thanks Ryan. I think you are correct. I’ll check into hooking up that switch.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:08 AM   #20
Eric Merryfield

Liked 467 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Ryan. I think you are correct. I’ll check into hooking up that switch.
You have some good suggestions here.

Just to complete the logic circle, you do have a brake pressure gauge in the car and know what brake pressure you are staging at correct? Don't have time to look, etc, get a go pro and video the gauge. If your not consistent with that then there you go.

Two step, could help, depends on your carb and how it works when floored, you may also want to upgrade to a brake pressure switch, instead of the brake pedal piece.

Log books should give you a clue too. Time trials versus competition etc.

Change one thing at a time.

Eric