Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-19-2024, 05:24 PM   #51
Henrys Toy

Liked 470 Times in 160 Posts
Smile Re: Crap, th350 emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post
Very true, I've had another user reach out with the same sentiment. I'll flush it out and see if it's packed with crud. Might have to send it off and gone through. Probably try to loosen it a touch while I'm at it. Any good recommendations that could get a converter turned around pretty quick in the NC/SC area? If possible, I'd like to throw the new trans in and test again this weekend to make sure the new trans is good to go. If I can find a local place, I'll just drive it there so I don't have to wait on or risk shipping.
Good afternoon Dawson and to all,
I think you should take Mark Y.'s advice and maybe give him a call directly.
He has guided me on my THM200 build and is extremely knowledgeable on Racing Transmissions, among other things. Unfortunately the more you run a trans with something disintegrating internally, the debris goes everywhere - that includes the converter. The only way I know to properly clean the inside of a converter is to cut it open. There may be a machine at a Transmission rebuilder that can pressure wash it that I don't know about. Either way find out before rebuilding the trans and running it and sending more stuff that was stuck in the converter through it - again.
Now might be a good time to just make a good game plan up and then follow that. Racing 101 - we all had to start somewhere, and so far you've done well, but this stuff is too expensive to be making split decisions and possibly do more harm then good, that would be money and time wasted.
You might want to contact the original converter builder for advice and give Mark a shout - then formulate a Game Plan from there.
The very best of luck on your journey here,
Don't look at this as a loss, but something to learn from for your future.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA
Henrys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-20-2024, 12:04 PM   #52
Eman

Liked 106 Times in 61 Posts
Default Re: Crap, th350 emergency

You get my respect for building your car, great job! T350's are not complicated, you can build it yourself with a little patience. If you built your car you can build any tools you might need to do the job.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 02:35 PM   #53
dragracerray

Liked 123 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Any good recommendations that could get a converter turned around pretty quick in the NC/SC area? If possible,
All my converters are done at Atlantic Coast Converter in Conway South Carolina. This is a drag racing family that knows what customer service is.

https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcoast.converters.3/

Ray
Dave Swimm is a former SS Pontiac racer. He always raced Pontiac.
dragracerray is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-20-2024, 03:02 PM   #54
JP1738

Liked 269 Times in 90 Posts

Here's some aftermath images for you guys.

Converter fluid looks brand new. It appears the filter kept most, if not all of the clutch material out of it.
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 05:36 PM   #55
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 411 Times in 198 Posts

so what's the plan to be ready for Gainesville?
1320racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-20-2024, 06:35 PM   #56
jmantle

Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Here's some aftermath images for you guys.

Converter fluid looks brand new. It appears the filter kept most, if not all of the clutch material out of it.
That doesn't look like clutch material, more like ground up metal. Better go right thru it, if you don't find a source for the metal, have the converter checked out..

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
Old 02-20-2024, 06:58 PM   #57
ss3011

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantle View Post
That doesn't look like clutch material, more like ground up metal. Better go right thru it, if you don't find a source for the metal, have the converter checked out..

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
GM used to put a flat magnet in the bottom pan . If the converter gives up you probably will see a bunch of aluminum too.
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:16 AM   #58
JP1738

Liked 269 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
so what's the plan to be ready for Gainesville?
I don't really know yet. I've got a brand new transmission sitting in the floor of the shop ready to go in, but everyone on here seems to be really stressing the potential debris in the converter and I'm afraid to put it all back together without cutting my converter open and cleaning it. At this point I can't find any evidence that there is any debris in the converter after flushing and draining it over the course of this week. The fluid looked new the first time I drained it and has not revealed any additional debris since I started pouring fluid in it to flush it out. I also have not torn into my transmission to see what came apart or failed, so I don't know what the material is from or if it could have made it's way into the converter.
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:51 AM   #59
Mark Ugrich

Liked 57 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
I don't really know yet. I've got a brand new transmission sitting in the floor of the shop ready to go in, but everyone on here seems to be really stressing the potential debris in the converter and I'm afraid to put it all back together without cutting my converter open and cleaning it. At this point I can't find any evidence that there is any debris in the converter after flushing and draining it over the course of this week. The fluid looked new the first time I drained it and has not revealed any additional debris since I started pouring fluid in it to flush it out. I also have not torn into my transmission to see what came apart or failed, so I don't know what the material is from or if it could have made it's way into the converter.
It’s always difficult to determine what’s inside a converter after something fails.If there is absolutely no sign of metal or clutch material you may be ok.The correct thing to do is cut it apart and check.The fluid path in a 350 starts by going through the filter, into the pump and then to the converter.
Then to the valve body and the rest of the transmission.Maybe your trans guy can help advise if it’s worth taking a chance.
Mark Ugrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 12:13 PM   #60
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 411 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Dawson, based on your bolded comments above, I'd reinstall it and go race. Then change the fluid again after Gainesville. I've done the same numerous times over 3 decades without issue. I'm not a believer of cutting open converters to clean or "freshen". My converters only go back to the manufacturer if broken. Put a magnet in the pan if you already don't have one in there.

Who's converter are you running and what does it flash to and fall back to on the shift?

Last edited by 1320racer; 02-21-2024 at 12:15 PM.
1320racer is online now   Reply With Quote