HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 09-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
larrylomascolo

Liked 64 Times in 28 Posts
Default 1981 u.s nationals

Tech that year was in the 500 oval ,big track , that was a neat deal. when M.P was still a eliminator
larrylomascolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 1981 u.s nationals

That would be Cool---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts
Unhappy Re: 1981 u.s nationals

We had a racer, Dave Hughes I believe, change the BB Chevy from his Modified Production 'Vette in the back parking lot of our hotel. It was 1980 or '81 as I recall. We also had Crawford Benham's 10,000 plus RPM Camaro parked on its open trailer overnight in the same parking lot. Race cars were everywhere. Another year we had a '69 Camaro Super Stocker parked in the lot that was being driven by Jeff Taylor ... I think. It was also on and open trailer. Shirley Cha Cha used to stay down the road at the hotel at the "500" track.
I could go on for a while ... it was an entirely different feeling back then... welcome race fan banners were at all the bars and gas stations etc ... lots of signage unlike today
Tim H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: 1981 u.s nationals

I went to the first "Indy" Nationals in 1961. The whole road outside the track was lined with booths and camping tents. Much Like a circus. Lots of police and hot cars. We slept in a garage under the drive in movie screen. Many years all cars left the pits and went back to the hotels where everyone could cruise and see them. Might have been the big thing that kept people attending and interested since all cars were seen for a week for free. SS racers rebuilding engines in motel and creating a mess. Racers testing on the road outside the track after rebuilds.... What a zoo. A happening.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote