HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-03-2019, 01:04 AM   #41
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts
Default Re: Oil Filter Comparison

Here is a cut open WIX "R" filter . The bobbin has metal end caps and the media is bedded in the caps with some sort of glue . There is no anti-drainback valve . The spring holds the entire filter assembly up against the end plate and provides a way to bypass oil if the media plugs .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wix (2).jpg
Views:	208
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	48248  
ss3011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #42
Eman

Liked 105 Times in 60 Posts

OK, we've finally gotten to the spring! WIX and other filter manufacturers state no bypass. The oil flows in the small holes pressurizing the housing and then the oil flows through the media and up the tube to the motor. If the filter clogs I don't see how the spring would push back if the oil is pressurized from outside in.
Eman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #43
devo340

Liked 165 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
I don't know if the problem has been fixed, but quite a few years ago there was several Cummins engines came in the shop with pistons burned up. The oilers were stopped up with tiny hair like stuff. The common thread was the Fram oil filter. I didn't read it, but was told that later there was some bulletins about the excess diesel pollution in the oil eating up the bonding of the paper in the filters. That was supposed to stop the oil spray that cooled the piston. At the time I had a 92 Dodge 3/4 ton shop truck with a Cummins. I used a Wix after that. It has about 250,000 on it now and no problems.
I bought a new 2003 Dodge with the Cummins. I was told by the dealer to use only Mopar or Cummins filters to ensure the engine was covered under warranty. I still own that truck & have only used those two brands of filters without any issues. I did work at Napa for 18 years, & knew about the Fram filter lack of quality. The media would come apart from moisture from condensation. At that time. the company that made the Napa & Wix filters was Guard Corp, may still be, found out the Fram media problem during testing. Fram was notified & elected to do nothing about it. I always kept a filter cut-away on my counter to show customer why the 4 dollar filter was better than the 1.99 filter.
devo340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-08-2019, 02:57 AM   #44
midnightbluS10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom keedle View Post
don't know about the fram go-fast filters but I've sure fixed a lot of oil pressure issues with a different brand filter. the ones with the rhino coating are crap and collapse...

btw, doesn't this guy (on youtube) know there's filter cutting tools?

Since he's not checking for bearing material, etc...then how he cuts it open actually doesn't matter. I'm sure that at this point, he went with whatever worked quickly. No reason to take the time and spend the money on a filter cutting tool when it wouldn't change the outcome of the video.
midnightbluS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #45
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbluS10 View Post
Since he's not checking for bearing material, etc...then how he cuts it open actually doesn't matter. I'm sure that at this point, he went with whatever worked quickly. No reason to take the time and spend the money on a filter cutting tool when it wouldn't change the outcome of the video.

you mean like the one he has sitting there on the table at the .50 mark?