HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #51
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Default Re: 64 Plymouth GT/EA in Ennis

[QUOTE=mr340;145564]First, I'd like to know who at IHRA will approve fiberglass replacements for aluminum body panels? I e-mailed IHRA about five years ago and was told it was NOT legal. I wish it was legal, fiberglass nose is what $2k? Aluminum nose, $20k? I'd be happy with just a glass hood and scoop and run steel fenders. They could make the fiberglass need to weigh as much as the aluminum to make things fair.

I personally was involved along with Jack McCormick in getting the glass front components approved. It was about 8 or 9 years ago and Mike Baker (IHRA National Tech Director) Ok'ed it. It was a quality glass front end and not like a typical bracket car fiberglass. You need to talk directly to Mike Baker as far as I know the ruling still stands. I dont remember the companys name (I can find out) but I know of one Max Wedge car that uses this glass in IHRA stock elim.

To many photos and text documenting the 4 hold down pins with wing nuts on the 1964 cars to doubt these cars being assembly line produced that way. A lot can happen in 45+ years.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 10-11-2009 at 08:58 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:23 AM   #52
X-TECH MAN
Banned

OK....I guess it was to long ago for anyone to have the correct facts and who really cares ....lol. MoPar built some outstanding cars from 1962 to 1971 and that period of time "Win on Sunday/Sell on Monday" will never happen again.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #53
John Lang

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I was wondering if I could us my 65 SS/CA, car and pull the HEMI, and run SS-GT with an older engine combo , such as a 2- 4bbl 383 , as in a 62 Ply or Dodge, what class would it fit, and would i have to eliminate the scoop ? Anybody know ? I don't know the HP of the 383, as in factor ! Let me know ! Or would that the same.as the car at Ennis ? Thanks.........John
Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #54
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

In 1964 Holiday Chry/ply had a hemi savoy sitting in the show room, three of my friends bought it to race at Atco and other strips in Jersey........It did NOT come with hood pins. It was the same as the Max Wedge except for the different scoop.

Many racers put pins in them but the 1964 Dodge Hemi car that I bought also did not have hood pins only light weight springs.

JimR
Old 10-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #55
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

John, I think that will work. And I don't think there has been a definitive answer on the hood scoops. For sure if the body (like my 68 Hemi Cuda clone) and my GT/EA 383 70 Challenger Cuda which came with a fresh air system would be ok. Or like a Hemi Cuda/Clone with the new Drag Pak engine which has a scoop, should be ok. I think the 383 2/4bbl is about 325 hp or somethin like that. That is what Jerry Bennett is running in D/SA with that great car.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #56
lstanford

Liked 133 Times in 30 Posts

I raced a 1963 and 1964 Dodge with the 383 single 4 and dual inline 4 back in the day. The single 4 was rated at 330 HP and the dual inline 4 was rated at 335HP. The dual 4 was a dealer installed option. Jim Nichols (his father was Byron Nichols, President of Dodge division) had a 1962 that was supposed to be factory built. Chrysler execs and their offspring had a lot of one offs built in the company car garage. The most outrageous was Al Eckstrands 1962 Chrysler 300 built with a 4 speed manual trans and 413 cross ram. The trans was some kind of a French unit. Supposedly several cars were built. Al's was the only one I ever saw. It was used to set a speed record in the Flying Mile at Daytona. I guess you could build any combination with a B block and say it was factory built because somebody probably built it, back in the day, A lot of theses combinations ran Woodward Ave. and cleaned house.
lstanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:49 AM   #57
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 88 Times in 45 Posts
Smile Re: 64 Plymouth GT/EA in Ennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker427 View Post
All four of the '64 AFX cars "2%" cars started as max wedge cars. In early photos they even had the double hump hood scoops. All of the available 426 Hemis were in Daytona going in circles....
Hey Jody, nice car. Can we see a larger image?

In any case I think it will be cool to see a big car in these classes. And I can't wait until someone does a 440 car, so will it be Shaker Hood or the 340 Sixpack scoop?
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #58
Dave Kommel

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDAD View Post
There was no departure line tween scoop and hood

"one piece" ..I did not place my hands on it but, my old eyes told me
Thats glass
Not sure what you were looking at, but our pic clearly shows a gap between the hood and scoop.

And here is a link to an action shot of the car: Jim Hale GT/EA
Old 10-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #59
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Talking Re: 64 Plymouth GT/EA in Ennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kommel View Post
Not sure what you were looking at, but our pic clearly shows a gap between the hood and scoop.

And here is a link to an action shot of the car: Jim Hale GT/EA
And look at that.....4 hood pins...imagine that ! He was using the same eyes that he saw "Alum Heads" on a wedge engine with....lol.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 10-13-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #60
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FECARMAN View Post
The most outrageous was Al Eckstrands 1962 Chrysler 300 built with a 4 speed manual trans and 413 cross ram. The trans was some kind of a French unit.
I seem to remember the 1963 Chrysler 300s were available with the French, Pont-A-Mousson 4-speed manual transmission. It appears this is the same transmission used in the Facel-Vega cars, as they used Chrysler 383 engines.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/569950084iPSlqF

I remember seeing a new aluminum BB Mopar head that had the 452 casting number cast into it. I suspect that Chrysler was trying to get it accepted as a legal replacement, but I haven't seen anything in the engine blueprint specs.
James L Miller is offline   Reply With Quote