HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 10-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #151
Tom P

Liked 208 Times in 81 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

This is fascinating stuff to read. Dave Wren brought his old SS/AA Cuda out to race at Mission a couple times this year.

I hope you get to the bottom of that history. With the small number of cars produced you hopefully have a list of all of the ones built and known history of the ones that still exist and are known to be destroyed. That shouldn't leave too many unknowns. That's how the Thunderbolt guys are able to authenticate any new finds.

The old track stuff intrigues me.... i've never heard of this place. Is it known under other names?
"The Deb's group also ran at Les Cadres Drag Strip, Quebec, Canada"
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #152
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Tom P,
The "Deb's: group also made treks to Napierville in Canada, Just across
the New York State Border.

Back to Daryl, (Part IV)
What intrigues me is that the Dart my father bought at that time, was that the rear quarter panels were replaced with stock-type, and the inner
fenderwells were tubbed. A roll-bar loop was installed, not the 4-point units that became popular in the 70's. The car, to my recollection was
an automatic, but may have had minor modifications to the floor board.
That I'm not sure of.
Paul
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #153
jack arnew

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I saw the Sox & martin 69 cuda at Cicle county Md. in 69 it was an acid dipped car an was built to run match races. I talked to Buddy that night about the car. It was the first of there cudas to have a roll cage extending to the rear frame rails.The cage was necessary as the dipped body had no structural strength and no safty factor. Now guess the drivers name that night. None outher than a young Don Carlton.
jack arnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #154
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Daryl (Part V)...............Jack, more info on your Dover visit later
Talked to my father on the N. White Plains Dart,
When they picked up the car, the nose was off. The car was in a
co-op garage?? Both engines were complete, sitting next to the car.
The owner wanted more $$ for the cross-ram and carb set-up, which he passed on. He wasn't interested in the Hemi, and wasn't concerned with
the authenticity of the car, he just wanted an A-Body bracket car, for a
My father and his friend had to rig the front fenders to the car with only a handful of bolts. And the hood was rigged with wire to the body pins, by his friend, to hold it down, before loading it on the trailer, to transport it home to Mahopac (40 minutes away).
PC
Old 10-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #155
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Dary (Part VI)
On the way home, my fathers frined was transporting the car on his trailer, and my father was following behind in his truck.
Heading home on Route 117, in Mt. Kisco, directly in front of the
Mt. Kisco Country Club, the fiberglass hood flew off the car. The air got under the scoop, and hood lifted, pulling through the make-shift wires
looped through the hood-pin posts. My father said the hood flew up about 30 feet in the air, and landed right in front of his truck. Luckily no one got killed. The hood itself stayed intact, but the scoop portion was damaged pretty bad.
Coincidence.... Hemi Dart, 1980-ish, Mt. Kisco, damaged hood scoop.
Paul C
Old 10-24-2009, 11:19 PM   #156
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkawboy View Post
Anyone know whatever happened to the Hemi Cuda called "Hemi Inc." from the Ft Lauderdale Fl. area ? It was bought new by 3 guys & raced in SS/AA for a while and last I saw it the car was being bracket raced in West Palm @ Moroso by a guy named Boggs who was one of the original owners I believe. I think they all worked at the same dealership in Lauderdale. We used to race them a lot in Jimmy Soucys SS/IA Cobrajet 69 Mustang.
You are talking about the Archer Bros. "Hemi Inc." Barracuda. It is still around - painted as a Sox & Martin car I am told.
Mark J
68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #157
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Does anyone know what happened to either the Mary Ann Foss "Go Hummer" Dart or the Bob Banning Dart? For the CA members - does anyone know anything about the Prince Chrysler-Plymouth Barracuda (like who might have owned it) or the red Barracuda that DeFrank & Cohen had. Jim told us that he bought it from a customer who had work being done at Ron Butler's shop?
Thanks,
Mark J
68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:23 AM   #158
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Daryl (Part VII),
The car sat in my fathers driveway for about 3 months, before he changed his mind about racing. He's pretty sure he sold it to (2) brothers
from Mt. Kisco (he thinks the Murphy boys). Not sure if they ever put it together also. Then it dissappeared.
As fpr the car, the only thing I do remember is that it was black, regular quarter-panels, tubbed rear inner-fenderwells. The trunk-lid was a
steel-type unit with rear-molding panel. Not sure if it was hood-pinned or hinged, but it wasn't fiberglass. Front and rear bumpers were chrome-steel. Not sure on the interior, other than roll-bar loop and possibly
lightweigt van seats. Again, can't remember engine compartment, whether the inner fenderwells were cut for 440 headers or not.
Unfortunately never checked the VIN# or other details. The value of the
68' Hemi cars back then were not ...............in outer space. I think my father got the car and both engines for around $3000.
Not even sure on the rear (Dana or 8 3/4")
The good thing........I FOUND A PICTURE OF THE CAR.
Send me a private message with your address. I'll send you a copy.
Maybe it's your car.
Who's car was it. We never reseached it or even scraped off any of the
black paint. Maybe it was the Pomona Speed Shop/Victor's Repair car
or not.
Paul
Old 10-25-2009, 03:41 AM   #159
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Daryl (Part VIII),
In the Dart photo from 1980 or so). The Dart has 12' slicks fitted neatly within the rear fenderwells with Centerline wheels. The front has
Ansen mags.
As for the Hemi engine. I do remember helping my father disassemble
the block. Not sure if it was bored out or not. But it came with a
Milodon oil pan unit and 12.5-1 Chrysler pistons. One thing that stuck in my mind was the heavy-slugs. My father still believes it was an early 68'
factory Hemi block (period correct for the 68' Hemi A-bombs)). The 426 Hemi engine (long block, minus the cross-ram) ended up in the hands of his friend Jerry. My father kept the 440.
Both my father and Jerry were close friends with Lou Vignogna.

Jerry was closer.
Paul C
Old 10-25-2009, 07:15 AM   #160
mike koester 66 nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hemiss. ( Mark Y. ) Are you talking about the DeFrank and Cohen red cuda with the gold stripe? I have a mag picture of the same cuda just re -lettered with Don Mac Callum 's name on the car. Ray Barton on the front fender, NHRA number 1978 racing the John Friel dart. Don't know who had the car first McCallum or DeFrank. I am comparing this picture with another picture taken at Gainsville with Phil Mandella driving the cuda, with Bob Lambeck Ent. on the front fender. No Joe Allread or Rick Houser.
mike koester 66 nova is offline   Reply With Quote